Translate

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Tuesday 4

On Tuesdays, when I remember it is Tuesday I follow Annie at Tuesday 4. She always asks questions which make me think. Today's questions made me think about our seasons. I know most of you are coming out of winter. Here, we are heading into summer. And as soon as the pollen (Ok the huge pollen dump) is finished I will get everything ready for our long summer season.

1. Spring is here. What do you like or dislike about it weather wise? 
Spring officially begins tornado season here, and I am just not a big fan of those storms. It is a gorgeous  time of then year though. I live where everyone has dogwood trees, and a lot of azaleas. During the spring it looks like a fairy land here. We are at the end of the gorgeous spring here now. The dogwoods are fully leafed out and all but the last few blossoms on the azaleas are gone. The new mass blooming wen will have in the neighborhood will be the crepe myrtles and the hydrangeas. Just about every house has multiples of those also, but that will be in the summer (which is only about 4 weeks away here)

2. How do you fare in humidity? Do you fade or come alive ? 
I live in a high humidity state. It does not really bother me until about mid July -  early September.  Even then, though it is hot and humid,  I think you just accept it, wear only cotton clothes, keep your hair pulled back, (humidity is not kind to hair) and just go about your business. 
I am not fond of leaving a store, opening my car and getting into it because my sunglasses fog up immediately. Again, you know it is going to happen so you either keep lens cleaners or Kleenex in your car. 

3. Do rainy days bother you or are you happy for an occasional break from the sunshine?  It depends on what I have to do. In the winter we get snow about every ten years, so our precipation is wet, cold rain. It is not a lot of fun if you have to be out and about in it. In the spring I welcome it because it beats down some of the pollen. In the summer unless it foils some outdoor plan the rain is nice, unless it is just a short rain and then it makes everything turn into a gigantic steam bath. Often on rainy summer nights (especially during thunderstorms) TheHub and I sit on our back porch and enjoy the temperature drop and cool rainy breeze. If it is lightning the show is magnificent. I do not like rain at all in the fall. We generally get a break from the humidity during the fall and I don't like anything to mess with that.

4. In your opinion, what is the best thing about each season?
Winter is so tolerable here. We rarely have snow (about once every ten or so years) and most of the days are warm enough that you only have to wear a sweater. We do have some really cold days, but never more than 3 or 4 in a row and then the temp bumps back up to just chilly and a sweater works fine again.

Spring is just drop dead gorgeous here. It does not last long, but it is beautiful while it is here.

Summer is hot and starts way way before the calendar declares it is summer. It is warm enough to swim for about 6 months of the year, and our night sounds are incredible. Between the frogs, crickets, katydids, and cicadas our nighttime is musical. (After a nighttime rain, the frogs in my backyard sound like a Budweiser commercial)

Fall is the reward we get forgiving through the heat and humidity of the summer. It is usually warm with an occasional brisk day and we get very few fall rains. Our leaves do not start falling until late fall so you get a few weeks where you don't have to mow the lawn or rake leaves. It is b y far my favorite season.

Thanks for joining in and making this so much fun for everyone!

32 comments:

  1. I do hope that blogger will allow me to comment this time. I like all of our seasons with the exception of summer (aka the sweaty season). MS thrives in the heat so I do not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky the tseason is about over there. I like summer fine but I do complain about the heat some days.

      Delete
  2. I've lived in snowy climates and I hate snow. Yes, it's pretty when it first falls and is white but believe me, that doesn't last long. My favorite season since I moved to the South is fall. I'm not real fond of hot weather but with central air, it is certainly tolerable. Good luck with the house sale. How old were you when you moved there? I was 9 when we moved to the family home and in my 50s when Mom moved out but that was a good thing for her. I'm planning on moving myself in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a preteen when we moved to their house. It is not going to be sad to say goodbye to it though, I pass by the street it is on just about every day so if I get lonely I can turn left and drive by it.

      Delete
  3. I moved south for the warmth and to be close to the beach. I don't mind the summer heat that much. I really hate the cold days in winter though. Spring is great, but like you said, it only lasts a very short time, sadly. I miss spring up north with the forsythias, lilacs, rhododendrons, crocuses and I miss chipmunks too. lol Everyone looks forward to fall here. It's "meh" compared to fall up north, but by then everyone, including me is ready for cooler temps and also for hurricane season to be over. Not looking forward to that again. :-( Good luck with selling the house. Real estate is booming down here in Baldwin County.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have different trees than you have in lower Alabama so we do get a lot of color during the fall but nothing like the brilliant reds in New England.

      Delete
  4. Your weather doesn't sound much different that the weather I had when we lived in New Orleans and Houston. I didn't like the really, hot, long summers, and I remember how cold those winter rains were. But March and October were glorious months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No place on earth is muggier than New Orleans in the middle of the summer!

      Delete
  5. Your weather sounds sounds pretty perfect. We really don't get much of a change in different seasons here in SW Florida. We've been lucky with a mild and beautiful winter and spring this year, but summer weather is on the way. Soon it will be unbearably hot for many months to come. Enjoy your beautiful spring while it lasts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice because we do have 4 seasons even though our winter is like a lot of folks falls. Unfortunately spring has mostly sprung with the exception of the temperature.

      Delete
  6. I'm still adjusting to humidity and overcast skies after arid and constant son but I am loving the temperature Difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humidity gets a little tough sometimes but you learn how to dress for it.

      Delete
  7. I couldn't take your heat and humidity - although I guess that's why you have a pool right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a pool but use it very little in the middle of the day! The heat and humidity is why I have a/.c!

      Delete
  8. You do have a gorgeous spring. I remember the first time I visited the Auburn campus (I used to have a job that involved traveling to college campuses around the US) -- it was spring, and the dogwood was in full bloom. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone in my neighborhood has dogwoods in their yards and it is truly beautiful.

      Delete
  9. I'm not a fan of winter as you've read, I tire of shovelling snow and the couple of weeks of bitter cold temperatures get to me every year. AND it seems to last soooo long!

    Spring takes awhile to get going here but when it does my favorite part is watching the perennials start to burst through the ground. I love heading to the garden centres to choose my plantings for my containers.

    I live in a dry climate so humidity isn't an issue - which is a bit of a shame as the humidity is part of what I enjoy about visiting the Caribbean the most. My skin always feels so soft until I get off the plane and then suck, the moisture is gone. We don't the same hot you get either.

    Fall is simply gorgeous when the sun is shining and the leaves have changed color. But it makes me sad because I know that winter isn't far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not do well with snow. I have never shoveled a single snowflake in my life.

      Delete
  10. 1. When I lived in New England, I hated spring. I used to say that spring wasn't a promise, it was a broken promise. It was really only an extension of winter, with the full awareness that people who lived in warmer climates were enjoying nicer weather. When I lived in the south, I realized why people loved spring. The fragrance, the warm air, the blooms...in the PNW, I love that I can plant, and the days are longer. But, the weather is indecisive. We can get all four seasons in one day.
    2. I love humidity, as long as it stays outside, of course. Hot and humid weather is my favorite.
    3. I don't mind the odd rainy, gray day here. In the south and southwest, I loved the gray summer days, particularly because the morning glory blooms would stay open all day long. I LOVE a good lightning storm, but we don't get those here.
    4. I'll talk about my current location: Spring is a nice break from the winter hibernation--I can get outdoors and work in the flower beds. Summer is just a joy, especially here, where temperatures stay about 75 degrees during the day, and drop to the high 50's at night. Fall has always been my favorite--I like the thought of hunkering down for the winter, love seeing the foliage change--though we don't get much of that here. Perhaps it's my ties to academia, but I always felt like fall brought out new beginnings, more so than spring. (And here, and only here, is where I miss New England so much it hurts.) Winter is manageable here--maybe a week of freeze, and 1 or 2 snowstorms. It's just enough to appreciate, but not so much that I feel oppressed. I like the short days, and love lighting a candle on a Friday evening, and watching it burn slowly as the darkness falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. My son lives in Portland Oregon. Summer is my favorite time there. One summer the locals were griping because they had experienced a full month with highs 75 degrees or more. We started laughing since mid-May - mid September our highs are consistently 90 or over

      Delete
  11. I do not do humidity well, as I am not used to it. It is very hot and dry here. I have very curly hair and humidity has me looking like a chia pet in a hurry. Spring is gorgeous here, but the overcast dull no sunshine winter months get to me. I would love to see spring where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beautiful spring is pretty much over here now and we are heading rapidly into summer!
      Humidity means pulling your hair back and saying to heck with styles.

      Delete
  12. I love spring because that's when my garden is at its best. Summer and fall are my favorite seasons; yes, even when it goes up to 100F and above! Although, occasionally, it gets too hot even for me! Winter is my least favorite season. I don't like the cold (it doesn't even get that cold, but, I feel cold even when it is in the mid 60s.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a big fan of cold weather either, but we get so little of it that it just doesn't matter.

      Delete
  13. You are enticing me to be neighbors in about 6 years or so-at least perhaps November through May-then I'll tail it back up here! I think that is what I like about the UK-they seem to have few unbearable summer days, perfect fall and springs, and their winters seem so short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes our weather is very mild, until summer. Summer here is not for sissies!

      Delete
  14. The blossoms sound beautiful. I agree, humidity is just something you accept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THey have been beautiful this year, but they are pretty much gone now.

      Delete
  15. I agree wholeheartedly with every you said. Except, fall is not my favorite time as I have more allergies in Fall than in Spring. I have not worn shoes for a year, only sandals. I have no coat and use a single layer, light jacket or a sweater when it is cold. And, my clothes are mostly sleeveless, even in winter. Spring is a beautiful time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is pretty but the tree pollens work a number on me.

      Delete
  16. Spring = Horrible Allergies
    This year my allergies are the worst they've ever been.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring kills me too Janie. Fortunately it is a short season.,

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.