Translate

Monday, April 26, 2021

What Did and Mostly Didn't Happen


Another week of potential meals came and went with little attention paid to the plan. I am not sure if things just did not work out like I thought they might, or if I just did not give a flip and made whatever required the least effort on my part. I believe it was probably the latter. No matter what happened___

This is what was planned:
Moroccan Chicken, saffron rice (TheHub's favorite) or caulirice, broccoli
2. Spinach artichoke chicken, couscous (or none) tossed salad
3. Spaghetti or zoodles with meat sauce, tossed salad
4. Veggie dinner (yet to be decided based on what is available at the truck farm)
5. Crab cakes with remoulade, coleslaw, hash browns (or none)
6. Grilled tuna steaks, mashed potatoes or caulimash, green beans, tossed salad

And this is what we really ate:

Monday: I woke and looked at the meal plan I had posted then ran to ThePig to pick up some bargain boneless skinless chicken thighs. The meal was a no brainer after that
Moroccan chicken, couscous (or none) tossed salad

Tuesday: When I had the freezer incident I found several things that had gotten pushed back into the deep recesses of the freezer, which I moved to the front of it once it was operational again. I did not think of them when I made the meal plan (that I ignored) but decided to use one of the already cooked items I had cleverly placed in seal-a-meal packs so I could forget I had them.
Smoked pork, tater tots (or none) coleslaw

Wednesday: I had planned on grilling tuna, but the day was much much cooler than it had been and I decided we just needed to eat something that would normally be a colder weather type meal
Jambayla, green beans, keto cornbread

Thursday: TheHub has been craving rotisserie chicken and picked one up on his way home from work. He was going to be home at a regular time so we decided to eat early and be done with it so we could run to the bluff and catch the sunset,
Rotisserie Chicken, stuffing (or none) Brussels sprouts

Friday: We took a little  trip to the other side of town and checked out the new Buc-ees. Now I have been there, seen it and don't have to go back to this particular one, but the next time we travel I will be on the lookout for one when we need to gas up, freshen up, and grab a snack. I had been hearing about something we needed to try, and it did not disappoint.
Brisket sandwich, hot potato chips, Buc-ees 79 cent large fountain Diet Dr. Pepper (what a deal)

Saturday: Once again I had planned on cooking  the tuna steaks and once again the  weather changed my plans. The skies were dark by mid afternoon then it began to rain. It was easier to pull something different out of the freezer than to stand in the rain and cook the tuna.
Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad

Sunday: The day was drop dead gorgeous and it was the perfect time to fire up the grill, but by Sunday neither of us really wanted the tuna, and rather than thawing them, I thawed a Porterhouse.
Steak, tossed salad, asparagus and hashbrowns

The Plan Moving Forward:
1. TheHub will be out of town so popcorn maybe?
2 TheHub will still be out of town so cereal perhaps?
3. Crab cakes with remoulade sauce, coleslaw, green beans, keto dinner rolls
4. Grilled tuna steaks,  broccoli, tossed salad, toast or rolls
5. Big salad meal (No clue yet what type)
6. Grilled burger with all the fixings, caulitato salad or some kind of chopped salad
7. Take-out

The only thing I am certain will happen is the first two ideas. TheHub will not be home and there is no way I am going to defrost and cook something just for me. I will scrap around the fridge or  pantry and eat something or I will have total control of the TV remote and will sit in the den and eat cereal*

So go have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all!

* I found a keto cereal online and I have absolutely no affiliation with them but feel like sharing a cool find with anyone who might be doing the keto thing and misses cereal or something crunchy and snack like chips. Schoolyard Snacks. They are pricy but worth it to me for occasional indulgences. I like the fruity cereal with almond milk, the chocolate (I eat it dry like popcorn) and the peanut butter (ditto), but I think the cinnamon cereal is horrible. I also got the sour cream and onion cheese snacks. They are also pretty tasty, but like I said, they are expensive, so I only allow myself  one pack about every two weeks.


27 comments:

  1. I love how you cook when hubs isn't home. Just like me if I were a widow i would survive on diet coke and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get to make perfect meals when he isn't here, plus cleanup is a snap!

      Delete
  2. We don't have Buc-ees around here, but we do have Sheetz which offer pretty good made-to-order sandwiches. It's a go to when were on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen Sheetz before. I must not be traveling by car enough.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like all worked out well and the plan moving forward sounds good too. We've just been winging it and using up precooked meals from the freezer and whatever I come up with. Have a delicious week and enjoy your two nights of control of the remote. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The remote and I are going to be best friends for 2 whole nights!

      Delete
  4. It's hard to be motivated to cook when you're alone isn't it. I did cook for myself and even though I don't mind leftovers, it's been much more exciting having my son here these past few months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it has been nice just having someone to talk with while eating.

      Delete
  5. Like you, I rarely cook when himself is out of town. I eat, but I don't cook.
    Love the have dinner and see the sunset idea. Sooo much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just se no point in cooking for just me. Warm up or nibble on leftovers, sure but prepare a real meal? No way!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I had never been before, but I will the next time we travel.

      Delete
  7. It's nice not to have to think about what to have for dinner. When I'm on my own, sometimes I'll throw something together but other times I'll just pick away at leftovers (if any), or get take out.

    I've not heard of Buc-ees. Next time I'm in the States I'll have to look for it - or is it just local to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buc-ees is not local but I have no idea where they are other than here. I had heard of them before but never stopped at one. I will definitely be on the lookout for them from now on.

      Delete
    2. i know there are 2 in Florida- Daytona Beach and close to Jacksonville at the golf village. I have heard they pay $17 an hour which is high for this area. I haven't visited yet. My sis and I did make a visit to BJs the other day- everyone had their mask on and it wasn't crowded at all.

      Delete
  8. I had just eaten everything in my fridge except for the cauliflower but, now due to the lockdown, I need to postpone my visit. Therefore, now I have to buy healthy things to last me 3 weeks. I can always order online but, I like to select my fresh vegetables and meat myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about choosing things yourself. But if I had to I would just tip the delivery shopper a little more to choose really nice looking produce for me.

      Delete
  9. Your planned meals and your actual meals both sound good to me! I will cook for myself, but, I seem to cook more when my daughter is home! We are having mostly curries, this week, but, there will be soup towards the end of the week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure if I lived alone I would cook just for myself, but I would eat the same thing every meal until it was gone and then cook something new.

      Delete
  10. It was hard for me to get used to cooking just for me, but now I enjoy it--except I'm having a hard time remembering what I used to cook. How did I fill all those meal plans?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would take some getting used to but I am sure I could cook for one if I needed to.

      Delete
  11. Crab cakes! I'm been thinking about making some again -- it's been way too long. And homemade are the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious, but have no hang time so I can't make them until a night when I know TheHub is going to be home earlier rather than later.

      Delete
  12. My weeks been incredibly wrong, other than eating out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine kind of missed the boat too, but we ate anyway!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.