Translate

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Small Joys For The Week

Another week in 2022 is complete. Does it seem to everyone else that this year is flying by or is it just me? Week 28 just flew by, in a flash. I know that there are still the same 24 hours in each and every day, but how do they pass so quickly? And I remember when waiting a weekend seemed to take forever. Now  it seems like I go to bed Monday night, and when I finally open my eyes it is Friday.  And so it goes, over and over.



Saturday: The hub was working at the office so I did our usual running around by myself.  OK official secret just between us, I may or may not have stopped at Dunkin Doughnuts for one of those brown sugar frothed iced coffees. I am not a big fan of iced coffee, but I will admit I did drink it all while I nibbled on a chocolate glazed doughnut. Joy? Well, eating tasty things is joyful. I came home and did a bit (very little bit) of cleaning before diving into a book. Once the rains/storms hit and we lost our cable, phone and internet, I took it as a message from the universe to read even more.

Sunday: Spectrum was still out and the skies were gray and threatening rain. TheHub went to the office for what was supposed to be a quick meeting that turned into about 5 hours of work. While he was gone I plopped down on the couch and read. When he got home we drove to The Electric and grabbed a late lunch before coming home for reading/naps/reading. 

Monday: The weather had cleared and I should have gone swimming but I did not. I'm not even sure why I didn't.  I talked with Sluggy (extreme joy) and planned on going for a swim immediately after, but I didn't. Instead I started messing around in the kitchen and did some advance cooking and prep. It makes the weekly meals easier, but I hate making that big of a kitchen mess so late in the day.

Tuesday: It was the perfect day to get caught up on the laundry, swim and have until about 9 pm to myself. TheHub had a dinner meeting and I had a salad I made Monday in the fridge waiting for my dinner. I also managed to score a few Amazon Prime Day deals. I had a couple of things I wanted and they were part of the lightning deals, so I snagged them.

Wednesday: My Beloved Sister came over and we swam laps. We swam as quickly as we could because thunderstorms were predicted. The storms never came__blast! We could have stayed in the pool longer!
My Amazon prime purchases arrived, woo hoo! Nothing like scoring a swimsuit inexpensively, and since I try to swim often, another will help. I like to have one on, one drying (takes a while__it's a humidity thing), and one completely dry. Some days I swim one time and some days twice, but I like a dry suit to put on each time.

Thursday: I woke and the day was overcast and gloomy, spitting rain. I can swim in the rain but thunder was rolling around me and I will not swim during a storm. Instead I kept checking the weather and hearing about the incoming storms until about 5 when evidently it stormed around me but never here. By that time I was ready to get dinner started, so I did not swim. I guess Friday will be a 2x's lap day.
A true joy of the storms that did not happen was a huge drop in the temperature. I think the high today was only in the mid-80's and when I was outside it felt like fall. That is a huge joy after all the excessive heat.

Friday: Well, the fall like weather did not last long, but lots of sun and heat made for a perfect pool day. My Beloved Sister came over and we swam laps, then had some hot tub time. It was great and I honestly do see a little toning in my arms. (Little, being the operative word here.)


Daily laps/exercise 
(For the record if I swim twice in one day I am counting the second time as a different day's exercise. Usually if I swim twice, it is once in the morning then again at night.  Using the elliptical just counts as a part of the day's swimming exercise. My exercise, my rules)
5 days

Projects completed
1
Upstairs bedrooms were cleaned, fresh linens and /or new comforter set (we did have a little comforter incident while the family was here), bathrooms scrubbed, linen closets reorganized, and  Pip's new room was girlified. Now we are ready for the next round of guests.

Creative projects completed:
0

Books Read
2
The Winter Guest
Tiger Wife

Oops forgot to do this earlier. Look for your joys. They are out there even if they are small joys.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne


16 comments:

  1. YES. This year is rocketting past. Hooray for reading days. And swimming days.
    Later this week I am going to prepare our spare room for a guest. A guest who I find completely exhausting. He gets up before six and talks and talks and talks. And I doubt he will notice the effort I put into preparing for him but I would feel so wrong if I didn't....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love having guests, but the getting ready for them is what I don't love. I am very lucky that once the upstairs is clean and ready all I have to do before company is a quick swipe to get rid of dust and putting out towels in the bathrooms.

      Delete
  2. I love my workplace because it's quiet, so it's easy for me to read during breaks and while I eat lunch and anytime I can steal a few minutes. I read at home, too, but at work I've read Count The Ways by Joyce Maynard and The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Both are excellent. Congrats on your Prime scores. Putting on a wet bathing suit is horrible.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have even been known to change suits if I have to go to the restroom while swimming. Wet suits drive me nuts if I am not in the water.
      I have not read Count the Ways but I read The Goldfinch a few years ago.

      Delete
  3. Anne,
    Mark my words, as you get older, time flies even faster. It is not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, but this year has flown really fast.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on another successful Prime buy! I love swimwear but haven't had occasion to USE it in maybe a decade. Unlike me, at least you're moving those muscles ... yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lucky to be able to swim at home and no one except for my next door neighbor and see and they are at work during the daytime.

      Delete
  5. Well, I've been trying to read today, but I don't get very far before I'm too sleepy to keep on. It's hard to make progress that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree you can give yourself exercise rules. I count using the upstairs bathroom during my work day as exercise. Your husband works so hard/ long days and weeks. I know you said he thrives on it, but it has to get long for you too some days. Good thing your sis is close to make, I mean keep you out trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. I love a special treat for myself from Dunkin! And I also love to swim for my exercise. We swim in the lake so I never know how much, but I am sore, so there's that! LOL Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mentioned in my blog post this week that our internet is practically nonexistent in the summer here due to all the leaves on the trees. I took that as an invitation from the universe to read more too. It’s been great to sit and read and not feel guilty over not doing something else.

    Sounds like you had a lot of thunderstorms this week due to the heat. We had our share of them too from the heat. I won’t complain though. Our driveway is dusty and could use some more rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, this year has/is flying by.
    Today's joy is enjoying my first cup of tea on the deck watching the Robin use the birdbath.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing how much you accomplish when the cable is out isn't it (or in my case, when the internet is down)! Bad habit, bad habit! And I wouldn't swim in a thunder storm either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum on Dunkin Donuts! It is never fun when Spectrum goes out. Glad you swam laps with your sister and again on Friday. The spa sounds perfect. I miss our pool and spa. We have a spa now but it's above ground and not so easy to get into. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, this year is definitely speeding by! I thought July just started and already we are past mid-month! Next thing you know, it will be the end of July and the beginning of August; I think Christmas will be a week or two after that! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.