Translate

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Joys and Prepping for More Joys

We have gotten into a rut around here and, at the same time, things at TheHub's office have really amped up. We anticipate a few weeks of chaos for him, while he works long(er) hours and the weekends.  I will amuse myself and try to make things pleasant for him here. (This means no nagging on my part) As a way of making it though the rough weeks we decided to go ahead and make plans for some getaways once the mad rush is over. Fingers crossed some of them work out!



Saturday: TheHub and I woke early and headed out of an exploration mission. We drove to Mentone, about 2 hours NE of us to check it out for a future weekend visit. While we were there we ate at The Wildflower Cafe, which the owners term a Cracker Barrel for hippies. We had a delicious lunch (tomato pie and peanut butter pie) then drove around looking at the sights around the small artsy town. 
Once we had seen about everything to see there we headed to Pisgah (another extremely small town) and Gorhams Bluff. It is a beautiful B&B on a bluff high above the Tennessee river. Right now our plans are to take a couple of days r&r sometime midweek in December, and do nothing but read and enjoy the views. 
Next up on our adventure was the small town of Ider. We went, we saw, and decided we do not really need to go back there unless it to stop at the Amish market there.
On our way back home we met Son2 and DIL2 for an early dinner, then came home and started checking our calendars for times we can revisit Mentone (in the fall) and Gorhams Bluff.

Sunday: Instead of watching our church service online, I watched my dear friend's Mom's funeral. It was held at our church Saturday, but was available to watch afterward. Because covid is rampant here right now, she and her siblings agreed they only wanted family there. It was a lovely service celebrating her life.
We had a pretty normal Sunday for the rest of the day and ended it cooking a steak which we split, and having an early dinner before we settled in to watch a movie. We really did enjoy The Negotiator 

Monday: It was actually kind of a boring slow day, and I spent a large part of it reading. Since I love to read it was not a day I felt was wasted. At about 11 pm I decided it was time to paint. I had done a rough sketch of a picture I thought might be a good addition to the foyer for Halloween, and managed to get the background like I wanted it as well as about half of the central character done.

Tuesday: This was another day that I did not get major things done, but I did manage to hit Publix for some last day cherry picking. What I like best about going to Publix mid day on Tuesdays  is that I can swim, rinse off, pull my wet hair back, and go with zero makeup and a sundress. Most places I at least gussie up a little bit, but knowing the stores where I shop and their off hours helps tremendously when I don't really want to get "fixed".

Wednesday: I learned why it is critical to wear a swimsuit cover-up even though the pool is in my own backyard. I have suits I swim laps in that are not like anything I would wear in public. I was planning on doing some watering before I swam and did have on a cove-up. I had just begun soaking the plants when the lower gate opened. In walked the pool guy, who comes on Thursdays.  He had some unexpected plans for Friday and was trying to get everything done early. I did not mind him being a day early, but wish I had a heads up. I normally wait until he gets through before I go out to swim. I had a nice long swim then a visit with my sister.
TheHub called right as my sister was leaving and told me not to bother cooking. He wanted to go out to eat as a mid week break. I am never going to argue about not cooking.

Thursday: I spent most of the gorgeous, perfect for a long swim day waiting for the guy who cuts the lawn to come. Since he usually comes mid morning it is no big deal to wait, however, Thursday he did not show up until 3:45.  All I ask is a heads up because I could have done my laps 7 or 8 times before he got here. There was a huge upside to the day. I talked with Sluggy and that is a bright spot to any day.

Friday: This was a red letter day. I have finally worked up to swimming almost 1/2 a mile when I do laps. It might not sound like a lot but it is roughly 8 full laps in an Olympic pool. My goal is to be swimming a mile by the end of the week. It may or may not happen but it is my goal. If you decide to swim laps I strongly encourage you to have a portable lap counter as well as waterproof headphones. It makes the time pass faster, plus you can break out dancing in the pool.
Friday night Son2 and DIL2 were on this side of town and stopped by with their dinner to eat and talk to us. We love that they feel free to come here any time they want to.

Have a great week and look for your joys. Large or small they are always out there.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne


30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love the pool. One of the conditions if/when we move is to have the same length pool.

      Delete
    2. Olympic size is a big backyard pool! Did you build it?

      Delete
    3. I do not have an olympic size pool. I had to do the math converting feet to meters to figure how many laps it takes to equal a 50 meter swim lane. The olympic pool reference was just for comparison for what swimming about 1/2 mile is.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for joys. When I was swimming I tried to always swim at least a mile - and need to get back to it. As I have said before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to swim a mile and am finding it hard now to get back to it. Older age maybe?

      Delete
  3. I wish I could swim....still have fear because of a near-drowning accident as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved being in the water, but understand how a bad experience could change perspectives.

      Delete
  4. I love reading about how you find your joys, each day. Congratulations on being able to swim half a mile. I can't swim, at all, so, I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time next week I want to be at a mile. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  5. When you like for a new place to move with a pool, keep an eye out for one for us too. If, but if, we move south, you've convinced me we must have a pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pool really does make Iiving in the south's summers easier. Of course after swimming I go anywhere I was going with wet hair and loose fitting cotton clothes which also helps.

      Delete
  6. A heads up is what I never get! Only my favorite appliance store gives me a heads up. All other people and services just come and go at will it seems. Like one said, well, we knew you did not have any place to go. grrrr Just because a person does not work does not mean they have no plans.

    When my daughter was six and tried out for the swim team, she had to swim a mile which she did easily. I was holding my breath and she was having a ball. A mile or even a half mile seems like a long distance to swim to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised a 6 year old had to swim a mile. That is a little over 16 full laps in a 50 meter pool, which is a huge task for a little one.

      Delete
    2. As a mother on the sidelines, I was nervous. And, she had to do this without stopping. Just one year before, she cried if she got water in her face. I said she was six but she was five.

      Delete
  7. I love little exploration missions! Grinning, on account Publix is one of the few places I do get 'gussied up.' How far I've fallen since retirement (lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am not going on a Monday or Tuesday mid morning I do dress better, but on those days and times when I know the crowds will be almost nonexistent anything goes.

      Delete
  8. I went swimming at Lake Lurleen! They had scraped and smoothed the sand and the water was glorious! Since I am 62, it was only two dollars…. Lol. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Lake Lurleen is a beautiful lake.
      Evidently my spell check is not from the south. It keeps wanting to change Lurleen to Arlene!

      Delete
  9. I gave up make-up when I retired. I do try to ensure my clothes are neat and tidy when I leave the house though...
    Well done on the lap swimming. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use minimal makeup when I wear it. I love to swim and now that I have waterproof headphones it is fun. I just have to remember not to try and sing along!

      Delete
  10. I know if I went out without making even a minimum effort I would meet someone I knew. A few years ago I bumped into my friend and her husband at the supermarket. Her husband had been working in the garden and wanted to get changed before he left but she told him not to bother. He looked like a hobo so when I saw him I said "oh Martin, I see you're going out"! He was embarrassed but we ended up having a laugh about it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally the worse I look is inversely proportional to the number of people I know and run into it. The light crowds at Publix on Monday or Tuesday mid mornings almost guarantees I will see no one.

      Delete
  11. I don't remember the last time I wore makeup. It was probably three years ago. I don't have a place to swim now but at one time I swam at Sweet Cheeks' apartment building. The pool was lovely and clean. It helped me recover from a knee injury that a doctor said I didn't have. Cheers to you for your one-mile goal.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Swimming is one of my favorite things to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Belinda. Love it. Regine

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.