Translate

Monday, April 24, 2023

When Plans Change

The week was different than I anticipated so the meal plan went sailing out the window along with any intentions I had of following it. I mostly went rogue . C'est la vie!



What was planned:
Spaghetti with meat sauce
Grilled tuna, salad
Smoked trout toast, coleslaw
Veggie meal TBD
Stuffed peppers, coleslaw
Out to eat or takeout
Pimento cheese sandwiches, coleslaw
 
What really happened: 
Monday: I wanted needed a quick meal. This is why I always have browned ground chuck in the freezer.
Spaghetti with bolognese, tossed salad, rolls

Tuesday: I headed to my favorite Asian market to pick up a few ingredients for some future meals, and my plans for dinner changed as soon as I got home and unloaded the groceries.
Pho

Wednesday: TheHub was having some medical tests Thursday morning and needed a very basic early dinner before he began his night fast.
Grilled tuna steak, baked potato, tossed salad

Thursday: I bought lemongrass when I was at the Asian market, and had to find some way to use it
Lemongrass chicken, jasmine rice, Asian slaw

Friday: About a week ago I bought a huge bag of potatoes at Aldi and realized I really needed to start using them.
Hamburger with all the fixings, potato salad

Saturday: We had to go to a funeral, then joined 10 others who also attended for an early dinner at Mikey's.
Grouper Oscar, asparagus, mixed green salad.

Sunday: TheHub had a sore throat and sniffles so I cooked some comfort food for dinner
Creamy Potato Soup


Next weeks possibilities: 
1. Hamburger patty w/grilled onions and peppers, mashed potatoes, coleslaw
2. Baked ziti, tossed salad
3. Out to eat
4. Carmine's salad
5. Asian inspired salmon meal
6. Stuffed peppers, coleslaw, potatoes of some sort
7. Pasta salad, diced fruit

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.


27 comments:

  1. Both the menu and what actually happened sound great! Yesterday, I hauled all my fresh fruit and vegetables to kid in law school in Montgomery ( asparagus, salad in bag, spinach, little tomatoes, strawberries, sourdough bread, bagels, eggs, cheese etc.) , so my plans changed for me. I am making dried lima beans, ( I am off work today) broccoli from bag in freezer, Margaret Holmes large canned of mixed greens ( it looks like mustard, and turnip) and I am going to mix that with rice because I am not going to take the time to make cornbread. I made mulberry cobbler from my frozen mulberries from my tree. I was out of milk and used ice cream in the place of milk in the cobbler and it worked… sort of. It is not pretty but it tastes good…. Lol I had oatmeal for breakfast. It is strictly a pantry and freezer week for me. I have so many dried beans I need to use up anyway. I may throw a can of green beans or carrots in the mix later in the week, depending on how much I eat of the greens, beans, and rice.If carrots I will look for copycat Cracker Barrel recipe Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, but then I grew up eating black-eyed peas and collards,

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to that salmon meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your adaptability. Reading your menus (what was planned and what happens) reminds me often that I am stuck in a bit of a rut food wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a quick spaghetti tonight even though I was going to have turkey breast. You did eat all week, the important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh that you "went rogue"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to do your own thing and let the chips fall where they may.

      Delete
  6. Hope everything is okay with your hubby and his tests. Love how much you meal plan and sounds like even backup plans. That's a win in my book. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both what you planned to have and what you actually had. I didn't make a meal plan, last week, but, ate well. This week will have spaghetti with meat (ground turkey) sauce and chicken curry with lavash and/or rice, broccoli and the last bit of mango curry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a talented young man (and cute too). He seemingly sang that song without breaking a sweat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I noticed that pimento cheese sandwiches showing up often on your menus. I think I know what my next purchase is going to be. I've been craving every since you first mentioned them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the summer I make pimento cheese and keep it on hand nearly all of the time. It is one of TheHubs favorite sandwiches.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great week of meals. I hope this is a good week for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the week is going well and I may or may not have what I planned on having.

      Delete
  11. "The best laid plans..." My every week falls to other things. Your mention of pimento cheese made my heart thump. My mom made the best and I miss it and miss my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We laugh about my mom's pimento cheese. She could do a lot of things very well, but preparing food was not one of them. I miss her terribly. I used to think people who said they thought of their departed parents every day were lying. Now living it, I see what an absolute truth it is.

      Delete
  12. I wish I cooked as often as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It all sounds delicious. I’ve been wanting a hamburger steak, I need to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything sounds yummy, planned or not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds good. Regine

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.