Translate

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

A Party in the Mouth

OK, y'all.

Say you fancy a little treat and after the roux-less gumbo recipe you (I)  might be thinking a New Orleans type of treat. What could possibly be more gratifying than whipping up a small batch of beignets that you don't have to share with anyone. Dessert for one? Mid-morning snack? Late night munchies? This are really easy to make but it does require an hour resting/rising time. You are two bowls and a fork type of prep, a quick swim in some hot oil  and a confectioner's sugar shower from your mouth. Easy peasy!

Beignets for One (or two if you are feeling generous)


1 tablespoons warm water (105°ish)
1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 pinch sugar
1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons milk
1/2 large egg white (separate the egg, whisk the white a little then just eyeball half of it)
1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoon  boiling water
1/2  cup plus 2 tablespoons flour (you will need a little extra when you roll the dough))
1 cups oil for frying  (I used about a cup of coconut oil in a smallish deep sauce pot)
powdered sugar ? depends on your sugar habit.


Put the warm water in a small bowl and immediately add the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Stir well and let it sit. Make sure it is foamy (indicates the yeast is active)

In another bowl mix the shortening, sugar, milk and egg white. Stir well to combine and add the boiling water and stir like crazy. When the temperature of the mixture  is about 105 degrees add the yeast to it. Combine well , cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in a  warmish place for about an hour.
Grab your trusty culling board if you are simple like me, or a pastry cloth if you are a fancy Nancy , flour it, and roll the dough out about 1/4 inch thick. I use a pizza cutter to cut it into squareish pieces.2x2 (ish) because I wanted lots of pieces.

Heat the oil in a small sauce pot, to about 350. I do not ever check the temp, I just put a small tidbit of dough in the oil and if it puffs immediately it is ready. If not, I wait a minute then try again. Take the cut pieces and gently place them in the oil . Fry a few pieces at a time. They cook quickly so stand there with them. As soon as they puff and turn brown on one side, flip them over and cook the other side. They are done in a little less than a minute. Drain on a paper towel.

You have two options for the powdered sugar. You can roll them in powdered sugar like I did or put some a sieve and sprinkle/sift it over the tops.

Now comes the truth time. I am still doing Keto so I did not have even a taste. I really tried this just to see if I could do it. Son2 was here and I got him to be my guinea pig. He is not eating sugar much at all so he only ate one, but gave them a big thumbs up. He has eaten them many times at Cafe Du Monde in new Orleans, and said the only thing missing was cafe au lait made with chicory coffee.

So go ahead and throw a little indulgence on! Life is uncertain after all!

                                 Here is a little tune by Clifton Chenier for your enjoyment!


23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I had to throw them in the garbage or I would have eaten all of them. It was the perfect size batch for a very satisfying snack and they literally made my mouth water.

      Delete
  2. Oh... I'm ready for a party!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so easy to do. I have made big batches of these before and get tired of cooking them. This was 3 minutes at the stove and done. I wanted one so badly.

      Delete
  3. Me too!
    ready for a party, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe at your resistance. I am pretty sure I would have weakened. Big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be in awe. I tossed them as soon as I took the picture so the highly anticipated urge, could not be fed.

      Delete
  5. They look and sound delicious! I don't know how you can make something like that and not eat them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, especially late at night sitting in the open air at Cafe Du Monde. I am just trying very hard to stay true to this keto plan and so far I have not drifted.

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh they look amazing, a favorite of mine for sure,,you have wonderful strong fortitude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! If I had a strong fortitude I would not be having to do the keto thing right now!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your self control!

    I had never heard of beignets until I saw the film with Cafe Du MOnde. (Chef?) and now I feel ever so sophisticated when I know what they are! Maybe I can uip my sophistication even further by making some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really not very sophisticated, it is actually just a rectangular, hole-less doughnut, but they are good and very easy to make.

      Delete
  8. What a dedication to the jazz theme on your blog. I'm pretty sure I would have not made something that I really liked and then throw it in the trash. I either would not have made it or eaten them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest this was just an experiment to see if I could make just 1 serving. I had to get rid of them quickly before I ate every single one of them.

      Delete
  9. Wowsa! I've only trued krumkake as a deep fried pastry. Mediocre results but may need to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly easy to make and I like the idea of having a single serving of something. We all have a massive sweet tooth so we need limited quantities.

      Delete
  10. I've never made beignets -- I really should. They're SO GOOD! Love this small batch recipe -- this makes a reasonable amount. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are truly easy to make and you're right this is a reasonable amount.

      Delete
  11. Oh my I would have eaten all of these instantly. I love me a pastry and I do share no matter what sluggy says.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.