Translate

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

No Regrets Chocolate Cake

Last Friday Helena mentioned she would love creamy chocolate cake with no calories so there would be no regrets. Try as I may there is just no way to create something like that, so instead we are doing the next best thing and making a cake that is simply one serving made from healthier ingredients. While it is still cake, since there is not a whole cake, it can be made, eaten without leftovers to tempt you. (Be honest here, How many of you are like me and will intentionally cut a slice on a slight angle just so you can go back and have a nibble more "just to even up the cake"? There is nothing left to even here which can be either a blessing or a curse

Better For You Chocolate Mug Cake


2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon agave
1/4 cup almond milk
1 egg
1/2 to 1 tablespoon chocolate chips (who am I kidding use the whole tablespoon full)

In a small bowl mix the cocoa powder, coconut flour, and baking powder until it is well blended. Add the agave and almond milk and stir with a fork until the lumps are gone. Put the egg in a small bowl and beat lightly with that same fork. Add it to the batter and stir until it is blended.  Fold in the chocolate chips reserving a few to put on the top of the baked cake.

Spray a mug with non stick spray and pour the batter into it. Bake on high in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. I strongly suggest you do the touch test after 2 minutes and 10 seconds. I cooked mine 2 minutes and 30 seconds and it was cooked through. You really want it a tiny bit on the underdone side,

Take it out of the microwave and let it cool for a few minutes. Be careful because the mug bottom will get hot.

Our taste tester was the lovely GF2.  Neither TheHub, Son2, nor I are eating any sugars. Fortunately for us she is and seemed to be pretty happy to give it a try.  I had a can of Reddi Whip Real Cream inthe fridge so I squirted a dollop on the top and sprinkled the chocolate bits over the cream.  I used mini chocolate chips because they were the only chocolate chips I had on hand and they worked fine.

This is after the first bite, and there were more bites after it. She really did like the cake and declared it was sweet enough without being overly sweet. It was chocolaty  without being too chocolaty, but her favorite bites were the ones that included the chocolate chips. I think since they were so small they did not have the heft to add any real melted goodness to the cake, so use the regular sized chips. The melt flavor will be bigger and bolder. She also thought it made more than one person can eat in one sitting. Too bad I am doing no sugars because I am pretty sure I could prove her wrong!


So here is a more guilt inducing chocolate cake for those of you who  don't keep all this weird junk on hand all the time like I do:

First omit the egg entirely. Substitute 1/4 cup AP flour instead of the coconut flour, 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder instead of 1, 2 tablespoons white sugar rather than the agave, 1/4 cup  plus 1 tablespoon milk instead of 1/4 cup almond milk. Additionally add 2 tablespoons veggie oil or 2 tablespoons melted butter.  The tablespoon of chocolate chips and the baking powder remain the same.

Mix all the dry ingredients together, add the milk and oil, stir until there are no few tiny lumps. Fold in the chocolate chips, pour into the prepared mug and bake 1 minute and 19 seconds to 1 minute and 30 seconds on high power. Things change with a change in flour, sweetener and milk don't they?

Hope you enjoy some guilt free chocolate. I am going to go eat a dill pickle because all this thinking about chocolate cake is killing me. If I won't give my mouth chocolate I am going to punish it with acidic and sour flavors.


17 comments:

  1. Thank you. And drat you.
    I don't have any pickles. I may have to eat a prune or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy and you reminded me I have a mug cake kit someone gave me as a gift tucked away somewhere in my kitchen cabinets. lol. As for pickles, I just bought 2 jars of homemade garlic dill albino pickles from a friend having a fund raiser for a mission trip. They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me want chocolate, but I waited three hours and the urge passed. I would have opened a brownie mix and put that and milk in a mug and called it goooood. I am quite sure yours is much better. I don't eat pickles, but I ate a tiny piece of chicken breast, the last of the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still want chocolate! Instead it's pickles or macadamia nuts for me.

      Delete
  4. I've seen this kind of cake before, but have never tried it, but I should. If a sweet is in the house, I will eat it until it's gone. This is a good way to limit the amount.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Underdone is usually best with baked things, isn't it? We almost never do mug cakes, and should -- so much more sensible to make portion sizes rather than a big honking cake and then have all the leftovers. We could handle the leftovers just fine when we were younger. Now? Now so much. :-) Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have decided unless we can have small servings of desserts there will be no more for a while around here. We can't handle the leftovers either!

      Delete
  6. Yum, although I think I would probably not worry about going the healthier route since I'm already being so restrained as to make a single-serving cake!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were going to eat it I might forego the healthier version.

      Delete
  7. And I've even GOT Agave on hand!!! Will make this next week just for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter makes mug cakes quite often, when she wants a treat. I must pass on this healthier version - if I am not mistaken, she has coconut flour, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all means, pass it on. It is easy and not too horrible for anyone!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.