Translate

Friday, July 6, 2018

Friday and All That Jazz

It is Friday, but because of the 4th holiday was mid-week, I personally had 2 Mondays during the week.  It feels like Tuesday and I totally forgot to prepare this post. Guess I am not too jazzed about doing one on the fly either, and instead I am sharing a few of my favorite jazz tunes.


I love Braggin' in Brass. The tempo is extreme in places and is a very difficult piece for the musicians, plus it is a cooperative effort with musicians swapping the lead back and forth.


Bemsha Swing has traces of a Dixieland Jazz beat and always makes me happy.





I had to throw in a little Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappeli.  Danjo was the forefather of early Gypsy jazz  type street music. I really do like just about anything they play



Mercy, Mercy, Mercy by Cannonball Adderley is on my daily playlist. This live recording is the best.



Sophisticated Lady is a favorite on a more personal note. My parents would go dancing as part of their regular entertainment from their courtship until shortly before Dad died. One of the places they went regularly for dinner and dancing was a local place called The Club. It overlooks the city, has beautiful views, a dance floor and regular band. At the end of the evening Dad would always slip the band some cash with his request so he could dance to last dance with his Sophisticated Lady.

There are so many more songs I love but to share any more would be weary. Since we listen to jazz every night with dinner we hear quite a lot from many artists. If you want any suggestions of other fantastic songs just ask and I will be happy to share.

We have a small lake place and sometimes when we are on the porch we hear the boats go by blasting us with Country Western music. I keep threatening to hire a jazz ensemble and ride around the lake returning the blast favor with jazz. I am pretty sure the other lake residents would appreciate that about as much as I do their C/W. (Yeah, I won't really do it, but I do love imagining it. Feel free to call me Walter Mitty)

13 comments:

  1. I wonder why it is that people who feel like sharing overly loud music always share CW. Okay, maybe rap, too. Some CW is good, but you rarely hear it blasted without regard to the listeners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like jazz but have to admit I know pretty much next to nothing about it. Thank you for turning me on to all this talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some insanely good musicians both dead and alive who have made it what it is. I just hope this next generation will learn to love it too.

      Delete
  3. But blasting jazz wouldn't annoy anybody!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very sweet story about dancing and your parents. No wonder your mother has been at such a loss since your father died. (Well, that's one of the reasons.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad was a peach and he doted on Mom. She misses him and she misses his attentions.

      Delete
  5. I love reading stories about couples traditions. It is meant to be when they continue to play their whole lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And theirs did. I have a video of the two of them dancing in their pj's one morning when I went down to have coffee with them. It was about 8 weeks before Dad died and it is priceless to me

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful story about your parents dancing, Anne. So special! I really enjoyed the music selection, too. Although, I must admit I like Country and Western, too! At least, the old C&W songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the old C/W but that is not what blares from boats on the lake.
      Mom and Dad loved to dance. When Dad got a new stereo system when I was a kid, he had speakers wired in the kitchen so they could dance there.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.