Translate

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

The Week That Was

Another week has passed and I realize again how few of the planned meals we actually ate.if you have read any of my past menu plans this should come as no surprise to anyone. Normally I try to have this up at least by midday on Monday, but I was caught in an Orange is the New Black binge watching vortex. If any of you have ever binge watched a Netflix show you will understand why this had to wait until Tuesday!

This is what I had planned:
1. Hamburger patties with mushrooms, asparagus, mashed potatoes, tomato slices
2. Squash casserole, green beans, corn bread, sliced tomatoes
3. White bbq chicken, coleslaw, corn on the cob,
4. Salmon with dill sauce, tossed salad, baked potatoes, some green veggie (undecided yet)
5. Salad supper, rolls
6. Tacos or taco salad with all the taco fixings.
7. Out to eat

And this is what actually happened:
Monday:  I don't even remember what happened Monday. It must have been fairly uneventful but it came and went and we did eat.
Hamburger patties with mushrooms, mashed potatoes, asparagus, tomato slices 

Tuesday: This was technically book club night, but we tend to not read books over the summer. None of us have any kids at summer so summer should not make much of a difference in our reading time but it does.
 Out to eat

Wednesday:  Did my typical Wednesday grocery shopping, bought a few things for Mom, stopped at her house to drop them off and did the daily visit with her. After staying with her a bit I came home and punted the squash casserole because it does take longer to make than I was willing to devote to food prep.
Sautéed squash, green beans, sliced tomatoes, sliced peppers, cornbread

Thursday: The weather was perfect. Not too hot and very low humidity is virtually unheard of here in July. I got in the pool and swam laps for about an hour, did a ton of laundry, a little yard work then came in to cook.
Chicken in mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes, tossed salad

Friday:  Spent the day just doing things around the house then I sat on the porch and read. It was another beautiful cook day, perfect for grilling,
Grilled steak, tossed salad, rolls

Saturday: We woke, TheHub went into the office for a little bit and then we decided to go to see the movie, Yesterday. We ate a late lunch after the show so we were not really not very hungry at dinner time. I just grabbed something out of the freezer and called it done.
Pork carnitas, coleslaw

Sunday: It was a beautiful day and My Beloved Sister did the heavy lifting at Mom's so I had a Mom free day. I will confess I enjoyed not having to go there for the entire day.  I did a boatload of advance cooking mainly keto things for the freezer. Now I am stocked with keto breads, rolls, and muffins, as well as a the bases for a couple of meals. TheHub did a few chores early in the day and caught up on his reading while I cooked. We decided to eat a relatively early  dinner (at least early for us), fired up the grill and cooked while there was still daylight.
White bbq chicken,  cauliflower pretend potato salad

And this is what I think might possibly be good for the week: I know at least one meal will match perfectly because we ate it last night, quickly so I could finish watching the last season of Orange is the New Black. Unlike the stupid Game of Thrones* final season, the writers of OITNB gave the viewers a satisfying ending. Everything might not have been happily ever after but at least they put thought into it and did not rely on CGI visuals to move the story to its conclusion.

1. Tacos or taco salad
2. Mississippi chicken over rice or cauli rice, some green vegetable, tossed salad
3. Grilled lamb chops. mashed potatoes or cauli mash, tossed greens, asparagus
4. Hamburgers with all the fixings, coleslaw
5. Squash casserole, lady peas, sliced tomatoes, cukes, okra (?)
6. Grilled cheese sandwiches, tomatoes, pickle spears,
7. Son2 and DIL2 are closing on a house tomorrow and we will most likely be helping them move during the weekend. I am sure there will be  take out at least one night.

Have a great week, stay on plan, go off plan or have no plan at all and just enjoy freestyling life!

16 comments:

  1. Sunday was a beautiful day! I hate summer is slipping away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sorry to see it go, but sometime in mid to late September when it is butt hot I will be ready to kiss it goodbye!

      Delete
  2. Hooray for beautiful days. And for freestyling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unexpected gorgeous are the best! Of course any beautiful day is wonderful. I only pretend I have a plan while freestyling most days

      Delete
  3. Well, the important thing is, you had menu options from which to choose, which is what you did! Congratulations to Son2 and DIL2 on their new house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t plan meals, but I always enjoy reading yours. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only meal plan so that I can do something totally different!

      Delete
  5. I love taco salad!
    Binge watching hasn't often stopped me from doing my regular stuff but I was absolutely engrossed in Dexter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent the entire day glued to the tv, The Firestick is both nice and a potential distraction. Fortunately both of the series I was really nuts about have reached their final conclusion and I refuse to get hooked on another one.

      Delete
  6. Another week. Another two menus. If you ever do follow a plan, I will be very worried about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever do follow one I am having some episode and probably struggling with sanity.

      Delete
  7. I made a list of possible meals for the next couple of weeks though I have no intention of sticking to a plan. I know myself too well for that! But when I'm stuck it's nice to go to the list on the side of the fridge for inspiration. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mainly use it as a go to when I can't think of anything else at the moment!

      Delete
  8. Binge watching is about the only way I watch things these days. I'll go months -- over a year! -- without turning on the TV, then will catch up in a month or two. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Binge watching is dangerous. I am glad there are no more shows I care to keep up with. The Bad news is SEC football is just a month away and then our Saturdays will be spoken for. Even if we are not watching, the TV is on and we are listening to them.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.