Translate

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Tormented by Bananas

Do you ever look in the fruit bowl and notice that banana that no one has eaten? The one that has darkened but is not yet liquid? The one that you can't bear to trash because____food waste? There was one staring at me this morning. No, it was not staring, it was taunting me, demanding that I either use it right that minute or throw it in the trash. yes I could trash it but I would only be tossing the fruit and keeping the guilt of wasting it.

My lovely DIL2 was here and she likes breakfast foods, so instead of headed to the trash with a little transformation the banana headed to her stomach. My first thought was to make her some banana muffins which would require heating the oven and I am just not going to do that while it is hot. Instead I opted for banana pancakes, but not just any banana pancake. Special pancakes for a special woman!

I had about a cup of baking mix that needed to be used, so it because my base. With a few additions it became her mid morning breakfast. Not everything I cook has to be keto, I just wouldn't eat it. (But I really wanted a few bites)

1 cup baking mix (Bisquick or whatever. I use Hodgson Mill because I prefer whole grain products)
1 teaspoon additional baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 very ripe mashed banana
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips

In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients. Add the melted butter, milk and beaten egg. Stir to blend. (mix will be a little lumpy) Stir in the mashed banana. When it is blended add the nuts and chocolate chips. Stir just enough to incorporate them.
Have a lightly greased griddle or skillet heated to medium. Pour about 1/2 cup of the batter on the griddle, cook until air bubbles appear and the bottom is set. Flip the pancakes and cook through. Pop them onto a warm plate and top with butter. Since I truly do love my DIL I also warmed some praline maple syrup for the finishing touch.

Since this makes enough for 2 people,  I cooked the remaining batter and decided to freeze them individually on a cookie sheet. Once they are frozen I will pack them in a freezer bag and she can have them for another day.

If you have a smart alec banana hanging around show it who's boss and whip you up a batch of easy delicious pancakes.


32 comments:

  1. I just throw them in the freezer and when there are enough bake a huge batch of banana bread. But bananas do taunt people I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a bag of frozen ones too, but this one was just too soft to even freeze.

      Delete
  2. When they are nice and ripe, I mash them and put them in a glass of milk, stir them up and drink. But, I don't think I have ever thrown a banana away. That would be wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have obviously never had a banana liquify! I hate bananas so I never eat them, but I hate to toss them.

      Delete
  3. I never thought of mashing them into milk! I usually throw mine in the freezer to make banana bread later but I actually don't like banana bread - that was when I was married. In fact I don't know why I buy bananas at all. I like them when they are rock solid but after that - berk! That and pears must be the only fruit I don't like though. Otherwise I could live on fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have despised bananas all my life. Right before he died my dad asked me why I ate the peanut butter and banana sandwiches (his favorite ) he used to make me when I was very young. I told him I never knew I had an option so I choked them down and tried not to barf, but I was very happy when I was old enough to make my own sandwich. Goodbye forever bananas!

      Delete
  4. I hate soft bananas. Hate them with a passion. I can and do eat bananas but they have to be firm. Soft ones enrich my compost pile (or feed the worms in my worm farm).
    Love your use of the squishy beast and am sure that your DIL did as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate all bananas. This one was just shy of being a total loss, and yes, she did enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I always make banana muffins. Yum. Your pancakes look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I would have made muffins, but it is too hot here to turn the oven on.

      Delete
  6. You are a very nice mother-in-law! I don't like very ripe bananas, not even in muffins and breads. I admit to tossing over ripe bananas (or, sometimes, adding them to the garden to compost).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore all 3 of the DIL's so it is very easy to be nice to all of them. I loathe bananas but like them fine in baked goods.

      Delete
  7. I have two of them, and like you I don't want to heat up the house by turning on the oven. Pancakes sound like a perfect supper for us one day this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During this time of the year we make hoe cakes instead of cornbread and have even cooked regular cake on a griddle very much like pancakes. Two of those with chocolate icing between is a fabulous dessert.

      Delete
  8. I only buy 2-3 bananas at a time because I really dislike overripe bananas. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like any bananas but the overripe ones are beyond horid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I purposely let a bunch of bananas go bad so I can use them in my whole wheat banana bread. I then freeze one loaf while I have the other for breakfast or I heat up a slice in the microwave oven and dollup a bit of ice cream on it for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bag of frozen bananas in the freezer, but they are waiting for this heat wave to break so I can turn the oven on. I usually make either small loaves or muffins for freezing purposes.

      Delete
  11. We love banana pancakes here. They're a treat for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had blueberry keto pancakes this morning. Like msot keto recipes it almost tastes like the real thing. The banana ones were much better, I am sure.

      Delete
  12. I wouldn't have thought of using the banana in pancakes. One squishy banana is awkward. I like at least three or four because they can become banana bread.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do keep a bag of bananas in the freezer for those errant bananas, but this one was too ripe for the bag.

      Delete
    2. I didn't know that you can freeze bananas!

      Delete
    3. just peel them and toss them in a freezer bag

      Delete
  13. Lot's of opinions here on what's the right firmness of a banana. I like them ripe, but not liquid. My mother used to say that my father liked them rotten and he would say she liked them when they snapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dad would most likely have enjoyed the one I used for pancakes. It was on the verge of becoming unusable

      Delete
  14. Pancakes look delicious. I've struggled with throwing out bananas too. Lately I tell myself it's cheaper to throw it away and not eat the extra calories from the muffins I would make, if I had kept it . lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand , especially since I am keeping a keto way of eating. I can resist the pancakes but I did throw out some perfectly good (little hard though) bread that would have made a delicious bread pudding. Well worth the toss because if I had made one it would have been a white chocolate bread pudding with a raspberry coulis and there is not way I could have resisted that!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Evidently they were! I didn't have any so I can't say for sure.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.