Translate

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

June, Busting Out All Over or Just A Bust


"In the summertime when the weather is fine . . . " Using a lot of poetic liberties, I am pretty sure that old song means it is time for me to revamp my weekly list. I have deleted some things and changed others to fit my life or the season. I also added things I thought would appeal to me a little more.  As usual this is not a to do list, but is more of a guide for things that bring me happiness.
There is a slight codicil on this weekly list however. The second week of June was the week of the descending hoards when the band came and stayed for four days. Pretty much nothing on this list happened then, but there were many new and different happenings then.

1.  Either go to or rent a movie to watch by myself
Week 1. Boy Erased  (I found this painful to watch)
Week 2. Nope
Week 3. Did not rent this but binged Forever  (Amazon Prime. Great way to spend a stormy afternoon at the lake))
Week 4.

2.  Listen to a new to me album (thanks to Discover Weekly on Spotify)
Week 1.There Is No Other Rhiannon Giddens
Week 2. A Town Called Earth Greyboy Allstars
Week 3. Sally Go Round the Roses, The Best of Album The Jayettes
Week 4. Backatown Trombone Shorty


3. Read a book
Week 1. Girl Number 1 Jane Holland decent murder mystery, but a tad predictable
Week 2. Left Tamar Ossowski  about a single mom of 2 daughters (one on the spectrum) who leaves one with a friend and starts a new life with her other daughter.
Week 3. The Overdue Life of Amy Byler Kelly Harms started out as a decent free kindle book but. . .why must women "find" themselves only because of a chance meeting with  a dashing man?
Fat Angie e.E. Charlton-Trujillo  Quick YA book for that night when sleep just would not happen.
Week 4. There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell Laurie Notaro   Quirky enjoyable book written in a Terry Pratchett/ Christopher Moore style

4.  FaceTime with Pip
Done

5.  Talk to each son and/or DIL
Done

6.  Create something
Pretty much a total fail this month

7.  Rearrange a room (Can be full furniture re-arranging or just changing a few things)
Rearranged and changed things back and forth getting ready, then cleaning after they left. No room is as it was prior to their coming or leaving.
But the rearranging was more necessity than decorative

8.  Get rid of one item each day
Done

9.  Meet up with a friend for coffee or a meal
Week 1.  Lunch with 3 friends
Week 2. Dinner with Uncle Bob
Week 3. Fail
Week 4.  Fail

10. Have an ethnic meal
Week 1. Thai take out
Week 2. Take out ziti (yes, I am counting this)
Week 3.  No idea. I honestly don't remember
Week 4. Mexican restaurant meal

11. Use the "good" stuff (china, crystal, silverware) or eat on the deck casually
Week 1. Nope
Week 2. Nope
Week 3. Nope  We tried but it is just too hot to eat outside now. I am changing this next month to include morning coffee on the deck or porch
Week 4. Lunch on the screened porch

12. Listen to podcasts 3 times per week
Week 1. The Shrink Next Door
Week 2. Watch What Crappens  Mindless yet snarky recap of Bravo TV shows I never watch. (DIL1 turned me on to this podcast and it does make me laugh)
Week 3. More Watch What Crappens
Week 4. In the Dark season 1

13. Spa Day (really means spa hour for some self indulgent "treatment")
Total fail this month

14. Fingernail polish, wear it!.
Wore it until I started moving furniture around and about. Managed to break a couple of nails so I cut them super short, removed the polish and am now just in clear coat land.

15: Contact someone I have recently been out of touch with either by phone, email, or text
Talked with my best friend from college days. It has been well over a year since I last spoke with her.

16: Have Mom up for a meal or visit
She has come up a couple of times just to visit and "swim" though she just sits on the steps in the water. She did come up for lunch once with her caretaker. No matter, she is out of the house and that is good. She also came up for a celebration meal with us Sunday night. 2 meals away from home is a new record for me being able to lure her out.


17: Try something different. The door is wide open on this one!
Other than having 7  total strangers in my home as guests I have done nothing new and different. I am going use July as my month of experimentation (maybe). 

18. Watch a Ted Talk
Week  1. Tycho Brahe, the Scandalous Scientist
Week 2. Three ideas. Three Contradictions. Or Not
Week 3.  Is the obesity crisis just a disguise for a deeper problem
Week 4. This is what it's like to live with ADHD



19. Go for a nighttime  swim
Only a couple of times this month

I guess that about sums up my June. Some things worked and some were serious misses. Such is my life. I will see what happens in July. Hope y'all all have a great month!


25 comments:

  1. I am super impressed (as I am each and every month) at your hits. Some day I will get off my ever expanding behind and create a similar list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind. I fail way too often and become irritated with myself (and sometimes those around me who contribute to my failures by putting demands on my time)

      Delete
  2. Look at you shaking things up. You go, girl. Boy Erased is difficult to watch.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it painful to watch knowing people go through a similar situation with their families.

      Delete
    2. Last night I watched Ben Is Back, another movie with Lucas Hedges. It's also sad.

      Delete
    3. I saw that also and agree it was difficult.

      Delete
  3. Is it easier to get your mom out now that she has a caretaker with her? We found that helped if for nothing else to help get her in the car as her mobility decreased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom can still walk, unsteadily, but still walking. It was so nice when I took her to the doctor. Her caregiver made sure she was showered and dressed in time for me to pick her up. We have told her caregiver we would like her out of the house at least 2 days a week. Doesn't have to be for more than a hour, but just a change of scenery. We have noticed Mom is balking at going to the grocery store with her and I had my suspicious why. After talking with her caretaker I found they had run into some of Mom's acquaintances at the grocery store. Mom is a very proud person and I am sure she does not want anyone but her very closest friends to know she needs help.

      Delete
  4. "If her Daddy's rich, take her out for a meal; if her Daddy's poor, just do what you will." That son is part of the rape culture. I love the tune but cannot bear to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has never been my favorite song, but it worked for the beginning of what I was writing about.

      Delete
  5. I think you did very well in June! Especially since you had to accommodate all those visitors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did as well as I thought I could, but I probably could have done better

      Delete
  6. When I went to the doctor last week and was so ill, people had to hold me up, literally. I would hate to think I was going to be so wobbly for the rest of my life. I was not dizzy, just ready to tip over without any notice. Maybe she can say she gave up driving and wanted to get out more, so she enlisted the help of someone. She does not have to explain the extent of help she needs. I know I would hate to have to admit defeat. Maybe you could do the grocery visit with her once in a while so she can save face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I could and I know my sister could, but in addition to having help for Mom either one or both of us go down to her house every evening or night. It is not like we got help and are leaving her on her own. I am sorry she does not like things like they are now, but we are paying her caretaker and shopping is one of the things we are paying her to do. Mom can give her a list and let her go or she can go with her, but either way this is something Mom is going to have to come to terms with.

      Delete
  7. In my mind, the fact that you set these goals is impressive let alone meeting some or all. I'm going to have to take a page out of your book especially when it comes to learning some thing new.

    Have a great Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a list to keep me focused (yeah, adult adhd)

      Delete
  8. What a neat post, Anne. I love the way you organize and write your posts. I like the Ted talk portion, I need to do that too as there are so many good speeches there. I hope you have a terrific and safe 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda! Hope yours was great also. BTW I hope you will link your podcasts on your blog so I won't miss any new ones. Check out Belinda's first podcast here http://savingmoneyinmytennesseemountainhome.blogspot.com/2019/07/introducing-new-frugal-workshop-podcast.html

      Delete
  9. Go girl! You are one organized lady and lots of good movies, books and music here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so not organized, which is why I have to keep lists for everything I do. I love books and music. Truly when I rent movies I play them on the computer so I can run them through my Echo. I listen to movies while I do other things and just glance at them as I pass by.

      Delete
  10. Not a June bust but a huge list to try and master. There was a lot of green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does not matter now whether it was a bust or not since it is over and I am starting anew. The good thing is no one and nothing but housework was neglected during the month, so all is good.

      Delete
  11. I’m bookmarking this for future months. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.