Translate

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

menu schemnu

 Once again I decided what might taste good during the week, which included things I had on hand, either in the fridge or the freezer. This week I think I did a little better job of planning because we actually had 4 out of 7 planned meals. (5 if you count the planned dining out meal even though we did not go out of town to see the niece dance. Turns out her dance was at noon rather than in the evening.)

This is what was planned:
1. Crack chicken (from the freezer) , over rice or cauli rice, coleslaw, green beans, sliced tomatoes
2. Smoked brisket (from the freezer), mashed potatoes or caulimash, coleslaw
3. Chili dogs (chili from the freezer) with or without buns, coleslaw
4. White bbq chicken, caulitato salad, baked beans (stovetop variety), tomato cuke and onion salad
5. Grilled veggies over rice (or not) sliced tomatoes, salad greens, keto strawberry pie (if I am making a dessert it is going to be something I can eat too)
6. Spaghetti sauce over noodles or zoodles, French bread (or not) tossed salad
7. We are going to Tuscaloosa Friday night to see our niece dance, so most likely we will go out to eat there.

This past week was neither a spectacular week, nor a particularly bad one. I know I went to the grocery store a couple of times but I did very light shopping since I carried over a lot of produce from the week before. I did stop at a little veggie stand near the lake for some tomatoes and peaches though.

This is what actually happened:
Monday: I did a lot of cooking for the freezer, mainly keto prep. I had been out of keto bread and rolls (It is not really like real bread but I have gotten pretty good at pretending it is.)  I did not feel like cooking dinner but I did at least remember to thaw the crack chicken. Nothing like a freezer meal score! 
Crack chicken, jasmine rice or cauliflower bits, turnip greens, sliced tomatoes, marinated vegetable slaw 

Tuesday: I spent the morning/early afternoon getting a small party ready for my friends at The Independence Place of Alabama. Nothing like celebrating the 50th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11 with Moon Pies, Moon Rocks (oyster cracker treats), Blue Moon Punch, Star Crunch, and any song with the word Moon in the title. When I got home I had a trying time with Mom. TheHub had a rough day at the office and since we were both fit to be tied by the time dinner rolled around, we decided going out to eat (and having a drink) was a good option. Fortunately incredibly delicious food ( and a glass of wine) from The Red Pearl works miracles. Plus after the meal was over we browsed their excellent Asian market and picked up a couple of items we can't find at Publix or The Pig.
Spring rolls and Basil Chicken

Wednesday: I don't remember any specifics about Wednesday. I guess I just got busy doing a lot of forgettable things. I do remember it was time to eat and I had forgotten to take anything out of the freezer. Luckily I had some smoked sausage in the refrigerator.
Smoked sausage with peppers, onions and mushrooms, coleslaw

Thursday: I had made a gigantic pot of spaghetti sauce Monday morning. Most of it was packed in freezer bags for meals later on, but I had kept enough of it in the refrigerator for one dinner.
Spaghetti (or zoodles) with meat sauce, tossed salad

Friday: We had planned on being out of town originally, but did not realize the dance was in the middle of the day. I have never thought a performance would be held at noon and TheHub was at work. I could have driven down and watched anyway, but I really did not want to go by myself. Instead I visited some with Mom, swam, and had a pretty relaxing day at home. I had some smoked brisket in the freezer which meant dinner was a no brainer.
Smoked Brisket, coleslaw, baked beans

Saturday: We planned on going to the lake after TheHub had lunch with some of his long time friends from high school. Oops! The luncheon was Friday instead of Saturday and we could have gone on to the lake Friday evening. It worked out just as well and I was able to check on Mom Saturday morning. We had planned a super simple supper using some chili I had frozen a while back.
Chili Dogs (buns optional) with all the fixings, coleslaw

Sunday: We stayed at the lake much later than usual, and got home right before dark. I don't know if I had even given supper a passing thought but it was late and we were hungry.
Hello Taco Bell

And now another week has rolled around and I am a day late posting this menu. Since one meal has already happened, at least one meal this week will match my meal plan exactly!

In no particular order  (except the first meal that we already ate)
1. Hamburger patties with mushrooms, asparagus, mashed potatoes, tomato slices
2. Squash casserole, green beans, corn bread, sliced tomatoes
3. White bbq chicken, coleslaw, corn on the cob,
4. Salmon with dill sauce, tossed salad, baked potatoes, some green veggie (undecided yet)
5. Salad supper, rolls
6. Tacos or taco salad with all the taco fixings.
7. Out to eat

And once again we will see how close to the menu we will actually come. 3 out of 7 meals seems to be about average for the past weeks. Who knows, one week I might actually completely follow the plan. Doubtful__but it could happen!

Have a great week, planned or otherwise!








28 comments:

  1. I always make my meals with a lot of leeway. Like Tuesday is always Taco Tuesday. So anything Mexican style will do. Wednesday is Spaghetti Wednesday so anything Italian will do. See what I'm getting at? It works no matter what and I don't make promises on serving one single item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I do make promises, but I am fickle and everyone in my family knows it!

      Delete
  2. I just plan meals for the week and then usually decide what sounds good (or more like I have the energy to make) that day for dinner and pick from my week of meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I only make a plan to satisfy my need to rebel.

      Delete
  3. I have the knack of this meal planning. Look i cupboard and avoid grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are people who actually plan meals and them buy accordingly. I have done that before but them I wind up with too much perishable food and have to double cook to keep it from ruining. Now I just plan around what I have but will change plans at the drop of a hat.

      Delete
  4. Your menus always sound good, whether you actually follow the meal plan or not! I don't have anything planned, this week, other than eating the last two chicken drumsticks I made, last week and finishing up some produce I have in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I am all about using what is in the fridge, which results in som interesting meals sometimes.

      Delete
  5. Aren't "out-of-the-freezer" meals wonderful!!! I was pretty good about taking that stuff to work for lunch and it's definitely coming into it's own now that I'm retired. In any case, it is pretty wicked to waste food anyway isn't it, especially when it can be put in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is horrible to waste what can be frozen, but for me it requires remembering to freeze it rather than let it die a natural death in a Tupperware container (Honestly though, does anyone use real Tupperware anymore?)

      Delete
  6. I still have not made squash casserole! I keep just cooking it with onions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I make squash casserole it functions as our entree. I have some beautiful squash so I think tomorrow is the day to have it.

      Delete
  7. Hooray for freezer dinners.
    I often batch cook just so I have that treat for other, lazier nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to just be able to pull something out of the freezer in the morning and then heat and eat at dinner time.

      Delete
  8. I agree with Bless, your menus sound delicious.
    I don’t really plan weekly menus. I’m going to make baked eggplant with ricotta cheese for dinner tonight. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan, then I go rogue. I love eggplant but am violently allergic to it.

      Delete
  9. Another week of good eating from my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure any week we are fed is good, some weeks are just a little better than others

      Delete
  10. Sigh...I wish my son would eat fish. I love salmon and don't get to eat it often enough.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fish may or may not happen, depending on what it looks like when I go shopping.

      Delete
  11. Your Apollo celebration sounds like fun! Haven't had a moon pie in ages. There's a Blue Moon Cocktail that's pretty good. Worth having once in a blue moon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the Blue Moon Cocktail is great. I probably would have been thrown under the jail if I had served it instead of punch!

      Delete
  12. I have different work hours this week and have gotten to buy hot lunches in the cafeteria. I know my spinach and chicken is healthier, but I get tired of the same cold salad in the break room all the time. It makes the cafeteria food a big treat.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasionally (very occasionally) I eat out at lunch and try to eat something hot. My lunch is always something leftover that was living in an old sour cream container in the refrigerator. Since I would dirty a plate to heat it and risk ingesting toxic nuked plastic if I warmed it in the fake Tupperware, I grab a fork and eat whatever tidbits of last nights supper remain. Tomorrow I look forward to some cold squash, green beans and 1 slice of a tomato.

      Delete
  13. If you don't plan one might never buy groceries :) We usually have broccoli with our salmon and dill sauce - it goes great with the dill part too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I booted the salmon already for this week. When I went to buy it, it just did not look great. If only we had just returned from a PNW fishing trip!

      Delete
  14. It's been so hot here that cooking has been no fun! We have eaten lots of sandwiches and wraps. I did cook tonight and hubby was thrilled. :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While everyone else in the country was having a heat wave, it felt like fall here so I have done some baking, which I rarely do during the summer.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.