Translate

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Just Chillin'

It is just plain old hot. In fact it is so hot even all my tricks to keep cool are not working and I am staying in the house in the air conditioned artificial coolness. This morning I had some obligations that required me to be in and out of the car several times, plus I needed to go grocery shopping. It is no fun when the temps are near 100, the humidity is at about 70 percent and there is not a cloud in the sky. It means at each stop, the car is going to be unbearably hot if the stop is over 10 minutes long, and I had a handful of 30 plus minutes stops.



I have learned, over time, to always carry and heavy insulated bag with me when I go summertime grocery shopping. I was going to be out for a good while before actually going to Ald and was stopping at an Aldi on the other side of town because a couple of the things I was doing were about 30 miles from my house. There was no way I was going to pass right by one Aldi on my drive home without stopping, rather than get close to my house and have to drive a few miles south to go to an identical store, even if it meant I did not shop at my usual store.  Amazingly the earth did not open and swallow me whole for changing up my grocery shopping patterns just a tad.

I had one extra stop midway between the store and home (which is why I always have that insulated bag during the summer) and even though I was out of the car maybe 5 minutes, it felt like an oven when I returned to it, and did not really cool off until I got home.

After lugging all the groceries out of the car and into the house, then putting everything in its place I was beyond overheated, and only wanted something cool. Since I am doing that keto thing my traditional cool down foods are pretty much verbotten. I mean, what would have been better than a huge bowl of ice cream?  Fortunately several days ago I had thought it might be wise to make some form of a ice cold treat that was keto compliant. I am so glad I did so that I could sit under the ceiling fan and enjoy something tasty and cold while my body cooled off. Did I mention it was also chocolate?

These popsicles are not only keto friendly, but they are a sugar free alternative for those who watch/limit their sugar. I will admit they are not as rich and creamy as a real life ice cream treat, but they are a dang fine alternative.

13.5-ounce can full fat coconut milk
2 1/2 Tablespoons erythritol to taste
2  Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)


Add coconut milk, sweetener, cocoa and salt to a medium size boiler. Whisk over medium heat until all the coconut milk bits have melted and everything is completely blended.

If using the xanthan gum add it little by little, cause you don't want the mixture to get lumpy. Just keep stirring and sprinkling until it is all nice and smooth. You could speed the process along by using an immersion blender, but I seem to always opt instead for whatever can be washed in the dishwasher. When everything is smooth (there will be some air bubbles, but that just happens) let it cool to room temperature, stir in the whipping cream, then pour into popsicle molds.  Set in the freezer until frozen. (this will take a few hours to be hard set)

The yield depends on the size of your molds. I got 8 full size popsicles from mine. Supposedly, these will keep for a couple of months in the freezer, but I am not sure. My molds have plastic handles and do not form an airtight seal. I do have them in a ziplock bag but I am going to experiment using standard wooden popsicle sticks, so I can take them out  after freeze  them to free up the molds for additional frozen treats.

I feel cooler just writing this, but I am fixin ' to (southern term for going to ) go outside. I will most likely have a cool treat when I come back inside. Because I deserve it? No__just because they are there and it's hot.

25 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm a new reader. I love your blog. That video is spot on for south central Texas. The humidity is a killer. I really didn't know I could breath under water until I moved here. I used to live in El Paso where it's dry as a popcorn fart. So yeah, I can relate when you say it's hot and humid. I have also gotten used to sayin all the southern jargon too. But I have to try to restrain myself so I don't confuse my readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my little corner of the blog world.. It's nice to meet you. If it gets much more humid here I am going to have to grow some gills. Southern jargon is an entity all its own. That is why I generally have a disclaimer when I use a particular southernism. I have used the term "The Pig" in my blog enough that regular readers know it is Piggly Wiggly (an independent grocery store very close to my house) so I no longer qualify it.

      Delete
  2. Bleah.
    My heart aches for you. Heat and humidity turn me into a soggy and grumpy mess.
    And I am not a fan of icecream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately if it is sweet I am a fan, except for licorice ,which I am pretty sure was created by Beelzebub himself to seduce the world into believing it was actually supposed to be a confection.

      Delete
  3. I think I need to get some non keto compliant bars for these hot days. They hit the spot but aren't quite as rich as ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These past few days have been brutal. Even with the a/c and fans running I am still hot. I would love some non keto compliant cold stuff, but I did enough self sabotage last week.

      Delete
  4. That has been my main complaint about life in a small town. The car never cools in the summer, but it also never warms up in the winter. `I drive about three minutes between stops! The ice cream looks cold and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to run all my errands in geographic order and lump as many together as possible to save gas. It results in a lot of stop and start car travel. This time of year it means a lot of hot! Hopefully this heatwave will break a little.

      Delete
  5. Your ice cream treats look good! It's warming up, here, too, but we haven't got to hot, yet, and, of course, it's not that humid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did look really good and they taste good, just not exactly like ice cream, but this whole keto thing is a series of recipes that almost take like whatever has been ketofied. On insanely hot days I have a real appreciation for "almost tastes like ice cream"

      Delete
  6. It’s very hot here too. I’m not looking forward to the next electric bill.

    I’m going to try your popsicle recipe. I have popsicle molds somewhere... time to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes good, is easy to make and is keto compliant. For me that is a win/win situation. Now if I could just find a recipe for some decent tasting keto crackers I would be really excited.

      Delete
  7. I'm grateful we don't get that kind of heat. I'm not sure I'd leave my house! We get the really good weather in winter that keeps me indoors and that's bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conversely, I think I only wore my coat a couple of times last winter.

      Delete
  8. Humidity kills me and I am so happy we have really dry heat here. I remember my mother making Popsicles by the dozens when we were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry heat is usually much easier, however 105 is hot whether it's humid or dry

      Delete
  9. OOOH that looks good! However any sweetner with a "tol" ending does odd things to my gut. But you've given me a great idea for some refreshing treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malitol kills me, the Swerve works fie for me, but I do not over do it at all. I have not tried these with splenda but it would probably work too

      Delete
  10. It is definitely hot here too. I've stayed in the house all week near the air conditioner. And we have had rain this week, which makes the humidity worse. That's great that you made a keto friendly popsicle that you could enjoy while you cooled off. I'm considering putting some wet wash clothes in a baggie in the freezer for those hot times. I hope you have a great weekend, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been swimming daily and I swear, it is almost too hot to swim.

      Delete
  11. yum, love the idea of the coconut/cocoa/cream combo. Every one needs treats - even if you are on a Keto diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need a treat especially if you are on keto!

      Delete
  12. Oh yuck, heat and humidity! We got both this last week while my family were still here after the wedding and my bloody hair looked like I had stuck my finger in a plug socket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am bound to having my hair as slicked back and contained as possible.

      Delete
  13. The video is great. MUST HAVE AIR CONDITIONING AT ALL TIMES OR WILL DIE.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.