Translate

Monday, July 15, 2019

Another Week Bites the Dust

Weekly I have a meal plan that I formulate based on what we have available, what is going to be on sale at the store for the week, and what sounds good on Monday when I think about the week ahead. This is what I thought might happen around dinner time this past week.

1. Salad Supper, French bread
2. Leftover brisket, sautéed mushrooms, caulitato salad, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers
3. Grilled pork chops,  corn on the cob (or not) coleslaw, sliced tomatoes
4, Remaining bbq pork, mashed potatoes or cauli mashers, Greek style green beans
5, Chicken salad, pimento cheese, combo plate
6, Steak, salad, rolls
7. Out to eat at a fundraising event

Monday- Thursday
Well this past week was a total bust. I think the only thing I planned that we actually ate was the remaining bbq pork and we only ate that to keep it from going to waste. In fact I don't even remember what we ate any of these  nights except for Wednesday evening. * TheHub went shopping with me and we decided to grab a bite while we were out running errands. We wound up at a little Greek place but neither of us had their Greek dishes, so I am not sure why we stopped there except that all of their food is consistently good and affordable.

Friday: We bought tuna steaks while we were out Wednesday night so we did grill them Friday night.  I had also found some hidden scallops while reorganizing the big freezer. Instead of surf and turf we had surf and surf.
Grilled tuna steaks with orange ginger sauce, pan seared scallops, mashed potatoes or cauliflower, tossed salad.

Saturday: We went to a marvelous fundraiser for The Independence Place of Alabama. It is a wonderful organization catering to the recreational and social needs of adults with special needs. I love all the participants and love spending my volunteer time with them. I have said before and will continue to say, this is the ONLY place I go where every single person is glad I am there. (I am reasonably sure when I go other places there is at least one person who thinks, if not says aloud ,"Oh $*@% Why did she have to come")
 I think the thing I like best about this particular program is they not only do the traditional recreational things associated with any group, but they also provide service to a local nursing home, their local city, and a consignment store which funds an orphanage in Uganda
During the program many of the participants took to the stage to sing and sign "Lean on Me". I only wish they had sung it about 10 times so I could have watched each individual perform the song in its entirety.
The food was a bbq catered meal, but was totally incidental to the evening. I just hope this was their most profitable fundraiser yet.

Sunday: We have been having afternoon storms for a few days but the weather broke just in time for us to fire up the grill. (Which really means stick a match in the grill and turn on the gas) What a nice way to end the weekend!
Hamburgers with all the fixings (bun optional), potato chips or none.

 I know I fail terribly at following my meal plan, but I do like to think about the possibilities out there and at least I have a direction to totally ignore. It is still hot as blazes here and my cooking will be limited to something grilled, a quick stovetop meal, or possibly something that was frozen and can be nuked in the microwave. So this is what I have planned for this minute, subject to whims, appetites, or just plain laziness.

Again, these meals are in no order.
1. Crack chicken (from the freezer) , over rice or cauli rice, coleslaw, green beans, sliced tomatoes
2. Smoked brisket (from the freezer), mashed potatoes or caulimash, coleslaw
3. Chili dogs (chili from the freezer) with or without buns, coleslaw
4. White bbq chicken, caulitato salad, baked beans (stovetop variety), tomato cuke and onion salad
5. Grilled veggies over rice (or not) sliced tomatoes, salad greens, keto strawberry pie (if I am making a dessert it is going to be something I can eat too)
6. Spaghetti sauce over noodles or zoodles, French bread (or not) tossed salad
7. We are going to Tuscaloosa Friday night to see our niece dance, so most likely we will go out to eat there.

We will see what the week brings, but whatever it does will be the coolest and easiest meal prep possible. I had rather swim or read in the evenings anyway!


* Note to self: Since you suffer from CRS syndrome, start writing down what you actually ate for dinner. Might work better than trying to retain it in the aging gray matter.












20 comments:

  1. That sounds like an amazing charity & fundraiser. Thanks for your time & effort supporting them - it makes me happy to hear that people invest the time in programs like this.

    We're going to be out of town for 1/2 of the week, so keeping the meal planning simple. Tri tip (leftovers), chicken sausages (leftovers), etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes simple meals are the best, especially since you are without the boys. Who wants to cook when you can finally rest!
      IP is a wonderful non-profit that provides not only the participants a place to gather and a sense of belonging, but it also provides their parents some free time. Plus it gives me a place to go and do something with a joyful group of adults who give me much more than I could ever give them.

      Delete
  2. Your meal plans, or possibilities, always sound so good! It's getting hot, here, too. I have plenty of leftovers for the week and there are some salad ingredients, as well. I also bought a couple of frozen meals for when I want a hot meal but don't necessarily want to cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the not wanting to cook. I am in a warm up or stovetop mood. It was relatively cool this morning after rains and cloudy skies so I did turn the oven on and baked several things. They are all keto and I am happy to share, but TheHub would rather make himself an ice cream cone than eat keto cookies. Good! That means more for me!

      Delete
  3. I suffer from CRS, too. I never fail in the meal planning scheme because I just have food and go eat something. Only when Tommy comes do I plan. Even then, I sometimes give him a choice. Your meals sound good whether you fix those things or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a pretty decent cook, but sometimes I get the lazies and just throw unrelated crap together and call it a meal. TheHub will willingly eat the worst possible combinations of food I can throw at him as long as he does not have to make it himself.

      Delete
  4. I have CRS too. I use pink post it notes and believe me they are all over the house reminding me to do this or that. No joke. I plan our meals starting on Sunday. I usually make something big like enchiladas with rice and beans and then Monday I'll make sandwiches like BLTs with potato salad. Ant then on Tuesday I'll make stew. Wednesday is always spaghetti and Thursday we have leftovers. Friday is the only day I let David have Micky-D's for lunch and then I'll make something for myself like a chicken salad because he doesn't like to eat after having the fast food. It's complicated but it's the only vice I allow him. He used to eat fast food all the time before I came along. So yeah, I'm changing him. I actually got him to eat real veggies like green beans and cabbage. What can I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for getting some green stuff into his mouth! TheHub is a pretty good egg and will eat anything but leftovers. He calls it used food. Little does he know I simply reformat them into something that looks different and he eats the same thing unknowingly.

      Delete
  5. Hooray for FUN fundraisers. And knowing that everyone at a venue is glad to see you has to be an amazing feeling.
    New meds have me struggling with nausea at the moment. If himself wants to eat he has to cook. And I prepare the simplest of meals which I am pretty certain won't upset my delicate tummy further (the meds HAVE to be taken with food).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun fundraiser except that I bought some silent auction things that I have absolutely no use for. I am probably going to turn them into Christmas presents.

      Delete
  6. ok, you'll probably get a laugh out of this. I'm like what is CRS? so I google it and it comes up Cogential Rubella Syndrome (ie German measles) and I'm like what? she has measles? Then below that was the urban slang definition.......LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very funny, and I did have measles but it was back pre-vaccination days. My Mom would never have been in the anti vax camp. Now is just have the slang version and am actually a card carrying member of the club.

      Delete
  7. I refuse to believe that people see you and say naughty words as they bemoan the fact that you have arrived.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me. Though I do not hear it with my own ears I am pretty sure someone says or thinks it each and every time. Not only am I sarcastic by nature, but I have a true resting bitch face, so even when I am feeling totally neutral I look like I am ready to eat raw meat and gunpowder.

      Delete
    2. Sarcasm is an art form that is not always understood.

      Delete
  8. I had to look up CRS as well...with the first answer relating to measles confusing me further. Then I saw the urban definition. I suffer from it too (because I'm sure I've read/seen/heard this expression before too).

    Sounds like a great fundraiser with lots of fun too! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always have discoveries when I rearrange my freezer. :-) Love the line, "I have a direction to totally ignore." When I was younger I could have been accused of "lacking direction." Heck, I HAD a direction -- I was just ignoring it. :-) Pretty common with kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to excel at totally ignoring directions, because my punkin' head travels a path all its own.

      Delete
  10. Gah, I hate meal planning but since my stepson is here winging it is less of an option...time to go look in the freezer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just pretend to plan since I go off the rails every week.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.