Translate

Monday, August 5, 2019

This is How We Did It

Each week I post our meal plan for the week and then I post what really happened. I take a very casual approach to my plan because the day I plan our meals is usually before I get to see the food ads for the week so I plan just based on what sounds good coupled with whatever is on hand or in the freezer. Generally once I see what is going to be on sale or what we need to use before it ruins the plan changes__a bunch.  Additionally there are days when TheHub calls from work to see what we are having. If what I had planned does not sound good to him, I will at lest consider changing to something else.

This was the plan for the past week:

1. Tacos or taco salad
2. Mississippi chicken over rice or cauli rice, some green vegetable, tossed salad
3. Grilled lamb chops. mashed potatoes or cauli mash, tossed greens, asparagus
4. Hamburgers with all the fixings, coleslaw
5. Squash casserole, lady peas, sliced tomatoes, cukes, okra (?)
6. Grilled cheese sandwiches, tomatoes, pickle spears,
7. Son2 and DIL2 are closing on a house tomorrow and we will most likely be helping them move during the weekend. I am sure there will be  take out at least one night.

Monday: I think I already mentioned I binge watched Orange is the New Black. I have been watching it since it first came out and I knew this would be the final season, so I binged the entire thing. Did I even think about dinner? Nope but fortunately I always have something in the freezer that takes little time to make. (This is also why I save all leftover taco shells in a cookie tin from every single time we have them.)
Tacos with all the fixings or taco salad

Tuesday: I did laundry and a little catching up from what I did not do Monday while binge watching OITNB. It got to be dinner time and I had nothing thawed, TheHub did not want the Mississippi chicken I had cooked, and The Red Pearl was calling to me. BTW if you are ever in Birmingham and craving Chinese food go to The Red Pearl in Homewood. (If you are in Birmingham, want the best food in town and cost is no object head for Highlands Bar and Grill. It is beyond delicious but make reservations well in advance. I am slightly teed off because TheHub has a dinner meeting there Tuesday night)
Out to eat at The Red Pearl

Wednesday: Not sure what happened. I think I got lost in some time and space continuum. I knew what we were having for dinner so I did not even have to think about it.  It was  planned for Tuesday  and all I had to do was make the slaw and warm the chicken and rice. Since I didn't have to think, I didn't.
Mississippi chicken over rice (or not) daikon radish slaw

Thursday: I was supposed to take Mom to her friend's house for a few hours, but right before I was leaving my house to pick her up, she called to let me know she had found another ride. I don't mind but would have enjoyed knowing a little earlier so I could have made other plans, since I was all gussied up for the day. Did some totally unnecessary running around but I was not about to waste a fully dressed, hair, and makeup day.
Pork tenderloin, tossed salad, grilled buns

Friday: Good things come to those who wait and I waited until the last possible minute to start dinner. TheHub decided he wanted to try a pizza joint near us so we ran by and got one to go. After we ate he went with me to Trader Joe's New experience for him and he is hooked. He is already talking about stopping on his way home from work to pick up some things he saw there but did not get. I have no clue why he didn't buy them while we were shopping. At least he passes it on his way home so this might become his new recreational shopping spot.
Take out pizza

Saturday: For the first time in months TheHub not only took Saturday off, but he also did no office work from the house, nor did he make a single business phone call. Instead he used the day to refill his tanks. We both sat on the porch and talked, then he napped, read and  watched Ted Talks. The weather and water were perfect for me so I swam for a fairly decent amount of time. I decided after swimming I would do some vegetarian meal
Tuscan Mushrooms over pasta (or not) tossed salad

Sunday: We were supposed to have a wonderful celebration meal with Son2 and DIL2 after they closed on their house. The septic system failed when they had it inspected after repeated delays by the seller furnishing information and even denying the inspection the first time they had an inspector there. They decided there were too many unknowns to proceed with the purchase. So instead of celebrating we just had a really delicious dinner.
Grilled lamb chops, mashed potatoes or caulimash, broccoli, tossed salad, rolls (or not)

To plan for the coming week I shuffled through the freezer and found several things I need to use so I will plan around them first. I am hoping Sprouts is having a scallop sale.  I am very uncertain at the moment if it will be in the ad, but I am craving scallops so they are in the plan . Fingers crossed!

1. Grilled scallops, green beans, tossed salad, rolls or keto roll
2. Spaghetti sauce with beef over noodles or zoodles, tossed salad, garlic bread or garlic keto rolls
3.Squash casserole, sliced tomatoes, cucumber spears, coleslaw, corn bread (or not)
4. TheHub has a dinner meeting. I think I might fast that day
5. Grilled pimento cheese sandwiches (Hurrah for the new waffle "bread") coleslaw
6. Hamburger patty, rice or cauli rice, green beans, sliced tomatoes
7. Huge chopped salad, rolls or keto roll

Additionally I am going to make some keto treats. If we have a moderately hot day I will bake a coconut pie and sunflower cookies. I am also going to try basil ice cream with a balsamic strawberry swirl. It might or might not work but I am going to give it a try.

Hope you have a good week staying on plan, going off plan, or having no plan!



18 comments:

  1. I love seeing your plan vs. your reality. We don't always get things 100% right, do we? But flexibility is an important skill too. ;) Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely get anything 100 percent right . I think I would be pretty boring if I did and my family would think I was seriously ill.

      Delete
  2. I might do this to as a post because plans change so much around our place and it's just the sexy beast and me and the puppies. Makes for interesting blog fodder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it shows how our intentions and actions change based on what is happening in real life. Our life gets messy and unpredictable sometimes.

      Delete
  3. So, are they passing on the house or waiting?
    Pimiento and cheese sounds good right now, but not grilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are passing, they got a quote of anywhere for 10 k to 40 k to bring it up to code and that is not a problem they are willing to buy.
      You haven't lived until you have had it grilled!

      Delete
  4. I am really glad that your husband got some (probably much needed) down time. It sounds like a pretty good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad he had some downtime too! He really needs to retire.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear your son and dil had to pass up on the house, but, it sounds like they made the right decision. Glad your husband was able to take a day of rest from work and hope he enjoys his shopping at TJ. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry too but you don't want to buy issues when you can keep from it.

      Delete
  6. Sorry if I reply twice=glitchy internet. Too bad for your son and DIL-something better will come up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your son and DIL were very wise to pass on the house. That must have been hard because I imagine they were very excited about starting this new phase.

    It will be interesting to see if your husband will still go to the Pig for recreational shopping now that he has found TJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too but they are very disappointed they had to pass. With the exception of a faulty septic tank they thought the house was perfect for them.
      The new shopping joint is still a wild card, but I do think he will at least split his stops between them.

      Delete
  8. Your menu always makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does me too! I should plan after I have eaten instead of while I am just drinking coffee.

      Delete
  9. What a shame about the house, but better that they back away from the deal rather than have serious issues down the road.

    Your menus are inspirational. I looked up Mississippi chicken and I'm pretty sure my son (and I) would enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mississippi chicken is not a pretty dish at all, but it tastes so good. I took all the left overs and stuck them in ziploc freezer bags for some quick meals down the road.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.