Translate

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Keto Tuscan Butter Mushrooms

We get tired of eating the same or similar meals all the time, and yes, I know this is not a true problem to have. I try to make sure whatever I cook fits my keto lifestyle while still tasting good to the non keto Hub, who for the record can eat 2 ice cream cones every single night without gaining an ounce. If I did not love him, he would be very easy for me to hate! We are almost a living breathing Jack Spratt and wife.

I found most of this recipe while I was googling keto dishes. The recipe actually mentions it should be a side dish__what? It screamed easy one pan entree to me. As usual a recipe is just a suggestion so I am posting this with my changes.  They are not that much different, just slight differences that fit our tastes a little better. If you want to see the original you can find it here


4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 pounds cleaned baby bella mushrooms (white would be fine too)
1 container cherry tomatoes, halved (I did not do this but should have)
1/2 cup broth (chicken, veggie or beef would all work)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 bag cleaned spinach ( 2 bunches?)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste (I added no salt because the tomato paste, butter and cheese are salted)

fresh basil for garnish

Melt the butter in a large skillet add the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and swirl until it is wilted the  add the tomato paste. Stir it a couple of times then add the mushrooms and stir continually for about a minute. Throw in the cherry tomatoes and the veggie broth and basil. Cook until the mushrooms and tomatoes are soft. (add more broth or water as needed)  Add the spinach and cook until it is wilted. Stir in the cream until it is all blended then add the cheese and stir until it is melted.
Top strips of fresh basil.

To remain keto I ate mine out of a bowl like a stew, but I served TheHub, Son2 and DIL2 over pasta, The sauce spread throughout the pasta and coated every bite. I did have the grated parm at the table for anyone who wanted additional but after tasting it everyone passed on the extra cheese. (I forgot to set the fresh basil out, though) I can't even begin to tell you how delicious this was, except that TheHub asked me to make this often. When all was said and done the only thing left was a few sauce remnants in the bottom of the bowl. I think if anyone here was a bowl licker even that would have been consumed. What a side salad this was a wonderful meal and one I will repeat every single time Aldi has mushrooms as a featured sale item.



38 comments:

  1. I love mushrooms so much! this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Capital YUM.
    I adore mushrooms and would love this (and may make something similar tonight). Himself doesn't eat funghi. All the more for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I saw a low-carb walnut cake which made me think of you. Recipe HERE

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the recipe. I am going to make it next week!
      Nothing is wrong with keeping a whole meal for yourself.

      Delete
    3. I finally made my version of this tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Many thanks.

      Delete
  3. Keto recipes don't exactly fit into our style of eating. While we try to eat lower carb, we are not carb free. And while we have some fats, they are limited a lot more than they are in your recipes. I guess I could try my own substitutions, but spending time in the kitchen is not my favorite thing. So, I'll just read your creations and think about how good they must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good and if I were not doing keto I would not have such high fat recipes.

      Delete
  4. I love mushrooms! And, this looks delicious. Makes my mouth water. Tommy does not like mushrooms, so this will not have to be shared...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks absolutely delicious. I love baby bella mushroom. I think they have more flavor than white ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do too. When they go on sale at Aldi I buy 6 cartons at a time and usually go back to the store at least 3 times.

      Delete
  6. I am glad you found yet another recipe that works with your diet and is enjoyed by the other members of the family, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks 'restaurant' delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing. If you were going to serve it over something keto friendly, do you think it would go well with zoodles or cauliflower rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have worked really well over either. I just did not think of doing it in advance.

      Delete
  9. Terrific looking dish! I'm with you -- this would be the main, not a side, at our house. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have to have meats for our meals, and this was perfectly delicious on its own.

      Delete
  10. Uuummmm, that looks lovely! And I know what you mean about Jack Spratt. My ex husband was really skinny, underweight actually, and while I wasn't ever fat (until menopause!) I gained 26 kg with my last pregnancy and oh man did we look funny. Have you ever seen the cartoon of the fat lady on the beach yelling "George, George, where are you" and her really skinny husband is actually stuck in her butt crack (sorry to be gross but that's what we looked like)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub is not thin, he just does not vary from his ideal weight. I smell food and can gain weight while he can snort an entire pack of Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls and not gain an ounce.

      Delete
  11. Mushrooms are one of the foods that I cannot eat, as I don't like the texture. Even so, that looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get the texture issue. I am also a tactile eater but my biggest nemesis is bananas. The flavor is fine but the mouth feel makes me gag.

      Delete
  12. I have to try this I love mushrooms, but they are expensive here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi has been having them for 99 cents for the 8 ounce carton. It is a great price for here.

      Delete
  13. I love mushrooms . . . The casein in dairy does a number on my sinuses however - guess I will just have to drool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there is a non-dairy alternative, but not sure exactly what it would be.

      Delete
    2. If I was making it for my vegan child i would leave out the butter, replace the cream with wine (and a little corn flour) and use vegan cheese or nutritional yeast.
      It wouldn't be the same but it might still be yummy

      Delete
    3. I want to make this and I'm mostly vegan. I think I will use soy milk for the cream and just sauté the veg in a little water. And always some nutritional yeast, it adds that buttery taste!

      Delete
    4. Great suggestions Kylie. Dianna you might want to reduce the soy milk before stirring it in

      Delete
  14. I've never liked mushrooms. It's something about the way they look and their texture. I bet I'd like them if you cooked for me, though.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to Birmingham and I will cook them but I can't change their texture.

      Delete
  15. Oh yum, I love mushrooms in any form, looks delicious☺

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.