Translate

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Low Carb Sandwich Solution

I have been doing keto for a while now and would like to say I have done it religiously but that would be a big fat lie. From July through mid November of '18 I was on it about as strictly as possible and had really good success losing weight. Until the actual reception of Son2 and Dil2's wedding I had eaten absolutely nothing I was not supposed to. I caved at the reception and ate a slice of cake.

After the wedding we came home to a house full of family, since all the out of town people were staying here through the following week. Now why would I want to have a bunch of people here for a wedding followed by Thanksgiving followed by Pip's birthday party and not enjoy the food I was cooking. And we all know what comes after Thanksgiving, right? Yeah Christmas spirits and cookies.

I will admit I indulged but did not over indulge. (Another big fat lie. I did have a couple of days that I totally overindulged, but as a rule I did not.)  Then immediately following Christmas comes New Year's Eve and Day along with college football playoffs. Of course I had to participate with a fervor. Finally After the National Championship game (Yeah, we lost so I had to eat chocolate for another day or two) I thought about getting back on in earnest, but I guess I was not earnestly ready because I would do keto for two weeks then go rogue for 4 days, then keto then rogue on and on. I was OK because I was not gaining any weight, but I also was not losing.

I had to make a decision to either let keto go or really stick to it until a couple of weeks ago. For me the best way to succeed at this way of eating is to have a lot of things made, frozen and ready to use at a moments notice and I have been experimenting with and freezing a lot of different foods

One thing I really miss while doing keto is the ability to have an occasional sandwich. This way of eating is a totally grain free diet and until today all of the "breads" I have tried taste fine (not like bread at all but good vehicles for butter or sugar free jams) but they were too crumbly and would not hold together to support the weight of the sandwich stuff___until today!

These would work wonderfully well for anyone watching their carbs, or gluten. It is definitely not paleo or vegan however.

It did require the purchase of a mini waffle maker. This is the one I got. (No affiliation with anyone) and it makes a single "waffle" about the size of a hamburger bun. If I had a small round waffle iron I would have made just 1 waffle and cut it in quarters, but my waffle iron is a big ass square one, which meant I needed to buy it. I figure I am worth the 9.99 it cost.

Heat the waffle iron till it is hot, spray with a non cooking spray.
Mix one beaten egg with 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella. Pour 1/4 of the mix in the waffle iron and cook until the iron quits steaming. (5ish minutes) Remove and let cool, repeat 3 more times, then grab your favorite sandwich fillings  and eat like everyone else.

It was so good that I made 3 additional recipes of it to make sure I have enough stocked in the freezer for the next month or so. Most of the time I eat either a salad or whatever is left over from dinner but on the weekends when TheHub want's a sandwich I get tired of pretending I really wanted a slice of turkey, some mustard and a pickle. Today I got to eat the same as he did, (except he used real bread)

And now I am thinking up other ways to use it. Swiss cheese instead of mozzarella with sauerkraut and corned beef for a fake reuben? A scrambled egg with sausage for a keto McMuffin? Pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese run under the broiler? I love the different possibilities.

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was very good. My DIL who is not on keto really liked them too.

      Delete
  2. Well done. And you are MOST certainly worth the cost of that waffle iron. And more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, thank you for this recipe! I have a regular round waffle iron, I have eggs, and, I even have mozzarella cheese! I will definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 8 rounds frozen for future lunch or dinners. It was a super easy solution to the bread dilemma

      Delete
  4. That is brilliant. I have a huge waffle iron my mother gave me back in late 70s. But, I like this small one better. I like cheddar cheese. I think I will do that when I get the waffle maker like yours. It might get too runny, but we will see. I love scrambled egg and cheese, so this will work for a breakfast for me. Plus, I like an egg for protein to keep diabetes under control. Great idea!!!What color did you get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to claim credit for it, but I saw the recipe on my facebook feed. I got a black one.

      Delete
  5. That’s a very easy recipe. I have eggs and mozzarella, but no waffle iron. 🙁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the same could be done in a pan like a pancake but it would not be as crispy probably.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea and it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it was really good and almost a necessity for me to have on hand for those days when I need to grab something quick and portable,

      Delete
  7. I have also been "trying" to follow a keto diet but when I mess up is when I am hungry or have the munchies and there is nothing in the house I can have! I miss sandwiches too and this looks really good, I'm going to have to try it but first I need a waffle maker!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did so good on it fro a while but I have to get off this see saw I have been on. The waffle maker was 9.99 at Target or from Amazon.

      Delete
  8. I'm trying to figure out what diet might work for me-I would so struggle without grains, but perhaps if I can only do 100% whole grain I would feel more satisfied with low grain. These look pretty tasty for a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know me and I do best with an all or nothing approach, plus there are wonderful people out there who have experimented with recipes that give me a wonderful starting point for things I had thought would never be available for meals.

      Delete
  9. I haven't considered a keto diet because I love my carbs...having grown up with potatoes at every meal it's hard to imagine life without them. As you suggest, keto requires one to go all in and that's probably not for me. Having said that, this recipe sounds very good and great alternative to regular bread products. Now I just need a waffle iron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does require being all in or not. Ketosis is kinds of like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't. It is pretty darn tasty!

      Delete
  10. I could see that working - without having to buy expensive keto buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not even found the buns here so this is much better for me than nothing.

      Delete
  11. That looks yummy, but I'm afraid I would plop butter on it and pour on some sugar and eat the wrong way. I am a bad, bad girl.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the laws of keto a plop of butter is fine, but you put sugar on it and the keto cops will come out of the woodwork and brow beat you into submission.

      Delete
  12. I think that you could also cook this in the microwave in a bowl the size you wanted. I cook eggs in the microwave occasionally. But as you mentioned above it may not be crispy like the waffle but should work. It would be an easy experiment to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a drawer full of different cheeses. I need to see if any are nearing the toss stage and experiment with them.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.