Translate

Monday, September 16, 2019

Spending This Week

Monday:       7.00  Sneaky Pete's Hot Dogs
                      4. 00 2 Wendy's Frosty's

Tuesday:       14.00 CVS (32 dollars of real merchandise using bonus dollars)
                      33.00 The Pig

Wednesday:   39.00 Sprouts Market (Stock up sale on boneless skinless chicken thighs)

Thursday.:     4.00 Bojangles

Friday:            .00 (Hooray for no spend days)

Saturday:       40.00 The Pig (Stock up sale on bacon, coffee)

Sunday:         31.00 AMC cinema (My birthday celebration, plus TheHub always get a large popcorn                        and a drink)
                      35.00 Bonefish Grill (Continuation of birthday celebration*)

So we spent 207 bucks, on food, drugstore necessities, and my birthday. I did not need to go to Krystal or Bojangles, but I go to Mom's early each morning and stay with her for  about 3 hours where there is a gap in her home care. I leave when her daytime help gets there and I am hungry by then.  (And have not gotten back on the keto wagon yet). One day a scrambler breakfast was screaming at me (Krystal), and who can say no to a Chicken and pimento cheese biscuit? (Bojangles)

The hot dogs, you might ask? TheHub called from work asking what was for dinner. When I told him we were having tuna salad sandwiches, he declared he was stopping at Sneaky Pete's for hotdogs instead.  Much later we decided to run out and get and ice cream cone, but our favorite joint  closed 10 minutes before we got there. Instead we swung by Wendy's and picked up a frosty. (I think I might start saying we are going to eat tuna sandwiches more often)

I will always stock up on groceries we use on a regular basis.
Sprouts had boneless, skinless chicken thighs for 1.77 per pound. I cook them all the time so I bought 3 packs of them and freeze them in packages of 2 thighs each. It is perfect for our dinners
The Pig had bacon @ 4.99 for 1 1/2 pounds. It is a super deal for here and a brand I really do like. It was limited to 4 packs, but I got free eggs with each pack as part of the deal. Coffee was bogo. I drink 3 cups of coffee every morning and TheHub drinks one. We make our own refillable KCups, so we use a pound of coffee relatively quickly. They also limited the coffee to 4 bags per person, so I bought 3 for the freezer and one to use immediately. Additionally they were having a big promotion and put a free loaf of white bread in the bags at checkout.

* We no longer give each other gifts for our birthdays. Instead we opt for an experience. Normally we would have gone to the movie on Tuesday (the cheap ticket night) but I have found 24 hour care for Mom really means I fill in whenever a caregiver is a no show or late. There have been several nights I have had to run down and take care of her for a while (or overnight) and we knew Angel was going to be with her all day Sunday (which was my actual birthday) so we went then.

I would say we will do better this week, but it is just Monday and we have already been out to eat. Mom's day sitter was sick and I had to stay with her all day. I wish I had known before I got to her house early and I would have taken food to cook for both Mom's dinner and our own. Instead I got there butt early to relieve Angel, dressed for the day for 2 appointments I had for later in the morning (yeah, I had to cancel those) and stayed until her evening shift arrived. Mom is a serious fall risk now but can no longer be trusted (dementia) to stay seated or in bed while I run to the store or back to my house to pick something up. My sister picked up a dinner for Mom on her way home from work, which left TheHub and me with nothing cooked or even planned. We opted to run to a little meat and 3 joint to get a veggie plate. And another 20 is now down the drain fueling the local economy.




                     

31 comments:

  1. I think you do amazingly well in such an unpredictable situation with your mom. Like you say, if you had known you would have to be at her place so early you could have taken stuff with you to prepare for dinner and maybe other projects but when you don't know in advance it's tough isn't it. So in the end what's another $20 spent in the grand scheme of things. And happy birthday by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grand scheme of things tells me I am not going to be able to take that 20 with me anyway, but I had planned on swimming in the afternoon after my errands and appointments. There was a gap of about an hour between when I got home and TheHub was home and I technically could have gone swimming then, but I was dressed and did not want to start from scratch getting dressed all over again.

      Delete
  2. Do what you can, when you can - as I am sure you do.
    Happy belated birthday and I do hope the movie was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do most of the time, but occasionally I pout and wish circumstances could be a little different.

      Delete
  3. Happy (belated) birthday! Under the circumstances, I think you did very well with the spending. You don't need to be worrying about the budget in addition to everything else. I am glad you are able to spend a little extra money as needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately our budget is not so restrictive that the 20 makes much difference, I just hate unplanned meals out, especially when the pantry is loaded.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Anne! My daughter and I do the same thing for birthdays, no gifts, but rather experiences. So much more fun that way. Sounds like you had a very good one. I read yesterday that the pimento cheese biscuit at Bojangles will be ending soon. I've not tried it yet but was intrigued. LOL I love their Cajun rice, it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pimento cheese chicken biscuit is fantastic. If I had not decided to hop back on the keto trail today I might have gotten one when I left Mom.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! You are doing real well considering all that is going on with your mom. Experiences instead of gifts is a great idea. We do the same in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have everything we want and if we have a true need we fill it. I am not a jewelry or clothes horse, so there would be little for TheHub to buy anyway. The best part of the experience gift is spending time together.

      Delete
  6. I am a bad, bad blogger friend......Happy Birthday a bit late but heartfelt nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you do a post about tracking your expenses? I think you're doing pretty well considering how unpredictable your schedule is.

    I remember the times of caregivers not showing up. Then we'd have to try from hours away over the phone to find someone, anyone to help. I know that it's a mixed blessing that you are close enough to go to your mom's house at a moments notice. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

    Also, Happy Birthday! What movie did you see?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just decided to start tracking where I am spending money. Not exactly sure why, except it seems I am spending more than usual lately.
      I am glad I can be at Mom's house in 2 minutes. I am also not glad I can be at Mom's house in 2 minutes.
      We saw The Peanut Butter Falcon. It was such a delightful movie.

      Delete
  8. Right now, with your schedule in flux day to day or even hour to hour, you are doing well to not throw the budget out the window completely. I hoe your birthday was fun-we don't do much for gifts either-if we do, its a purchase for the house or needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep we have bought a dishwasher and called it an anniversary present to both of us in the past. We had rather just spend time doing something we can enjoy and then enjoy talking about it later.
      On our actual anniversary we do kind of break the bank and go to an extraordinarily nice restaurant. But it is a once a year thing we have in the T& E budget.

      Delete
  9. Happy belated birthday! The idea of experiences versus gifts is wonderful.

    Don't beat yourself up about not keeping to a certain diet or meal plan. Right now, your mom needs you, especially when her carers don't. Unfortunately some day she won't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do need to get back on keto. I feel much better on it, it's just a little more work than I have time to devote to it right now.

      Delete
  10. You know right now you are doing the best you. can. I lost 17 lbs during moms final months, just so much work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have talked about moving Mom in with us but I am not sure I can be with her 24/7. The dementia brings out a lot of her basic personality traits that were the more undesirable ones, and the better parts of her personality are more limited.

      Delete
  11. Happy late birthday Anne! When life is difficult you do what you can just to keep going, including occasionally getting takeout and icecream :) We have to be with our dog 24/7 the next week - that has kept our spending down (except the $1200 plus and rising vet bills) I went to the store for about 7 minutes last night as realized half way through preparing supper I was missing critical ingredients such as the taco shells for the tacos lol. Next week is our anniversary, we had planned on going out to our favorite greek restaurant but that is unlikely now. Whatever, this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the only constant is change, but sometimes the in between times seem to last forever. I hope Buddy is doing better, but ll you can do is be there an tend to him.

      Delete
  12. Anne,
    Happy Belated Birthday! is there any way you can prepare for the unexpected like cooking ahead? I, too, hate to get undressed and then start all over getting dressed and ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could cook ahead, I just usually do my cooking ahead on Monday so there was nothing cooked.

      Delete
  13. Happy (belated) Birthday! Mrs KR and I also no longer exchange gifts for birthdays, Christmas, whenever. We have too much stuff! And anything we want we just buy when we want/need it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you had a happy birthday! It looks like you are keeping things under tabs pretty well. Tracking your spending is more than half the battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing things are going to be a little out of hand right now is also a big part of it!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.