Translate

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Daily Good Things__Week One

This year my focus is two fold. I am adopting two words to be my guide through the year: Joy and Finish. I have some slight ADD tendencies and will start one thing, see something shiny and move to the next without completing what I began. It really does not matter what I am doing. So for the year I want to truly concentrate on beginning and ending things before moving on to something else. (Unless it is something I truly hate, like ironing, and I will give myself permission to stop as often as I like, or continue with my only iron on demand as needed. And just ask me about a clever way to disguise un-ironed napkins for dinner guests.)

Joy is an interesting term. I do not even begin to think I will be joyous all of the time. I am way to much of a smart ass for that. But I do want to look for joy with intent. Every single day there is at least one joyful moment, and I want to end each week of the year  recounting the best thing that happened each day to bring me joy. Then at the end of the year I can look backward and see how even on dark, depressing days, there is a glimmer of joy.

This is for me mainly, but you are welcome to come along for the ride, and if you feel like adding some unexpected joy in your life for the week, well, the more the merrier!


Jan. 1  Alabama won the Citrus Bowl which we watched with Son2 and DIL2 followed by NYD traditional "lucky" meal.
Jan. 2  Miserable weather day, but after getting soaked 4 times running about getting things for Mom I came home took a hot shower and put on sweats. Who knew something so simple could be so wonderful?
Jan. 3 Rainy again so we ate grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup at home instead of going on our planned dinner out.  We ended the night with some movie watching.
Jan. 4 Fun phone call with Pip then dinner at Bellini's with Son2 and DIL2
Jan. 5 Lovely guests spent the night (Really enjoyed the visit Sluggy and Mr.Slug!)
Jan. 6  Enjoyed morning coffee  and conversation with Sluggy and Mr.Slug. Pretty sure the day went downhill after they left, not only because of they left, but the first of several Mom issues happened.
Jan. 7  I woke with a screaming headache but still had to be at Mom's dressed and ready for the day, before the gap time with her sitters, since I had to take her to a dr.'s appointment. The last thing I wanted to do was feel like crap and sit in the waiting room. Luckily her wonderful daytime care giver offered to go into the office in my place.  I was able to only have to drive them and help with loading and unloading Mom at the door of the professional practice building attached to the hospital. Then I drove 2 blocks from the hospital to an office building and parked in their almost empty parking lot. I had a sunny spot to sit (eyes closed) and wait for "T" to give me a call when they were done. Thank you "T" for this incredible gift.

21 comments:

  1. My problem is not starting and then being distracted (well, not the worst problem), it's not even starting something if I don't have time to finish or do it right. So starting and finishing is a goal for me, also.

    I try to find good things often and I am much better at it than I used to be. When you make a conscious effort to do this, you find little things really do mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of days were unpleasant but I could find some joyful things (Took a little reflecting but they were there) but most of the joy just hits me smack in the face. For instance, having a screaming headache and "T" volunteering to take Mom into the dr. instead of me having to go. The only downside for me was needing a restroom while they were gone so I had to find a place where I could use the facilities. Then I felt morally obligated to buy a cup of coffee for the privilege of using them. I drove back to my sunny spot and might possibly have dozed off. I do know when I finally had my wits about me the coffee was just warm, not hot.

      Delete
  2. Certainly as far as sewing projects are concerned I have/had so many UFOs (unfinished objects) that it was getting me down. Slowly I'm disciplining myself to sitting down for an hour or so to sew now and it feels much better. And I remember when I was working in Pittsburgh, sometimes at lunchtime I just went out and sat in my car somewhere quiet and oddly enough I really liked it - the quiet I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is some peace found in just stopping. Not stopping sewing projects, but stopping some of the chaos that surrounds all of us regularly.

      Delete
  3. How fun to get Sluggy and Dan, we just love them and have so much fun with them. I too have add or adhd tendencies, but they don't really bother me, I just keep going eventually I get back. I am obsessed with finishing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great!
      Sometimes I don't get back to things until an absurd amount of time has passed. Obviously I am not obsessed with finishing when I can find so many new and different things to start.

      Delete
  4. So glad you got to see Sluggy and her hubby. She made the rounds this trip. I too had a major headache (started NYD after an evening of wine and didn't let up for 3 days - and I didn't drink that much, really think I had a touch of the flu). Your Mom's caregiver is awesome for helping you! I too have a hate on for ironing. I actually managed to get my bi-annual closet ironing done this week. Hubby does his own (he doesn't hate it). I try and buy things that don't need ironing...until I see a completely cute shirt at the thrift and just have to have it. Wash it, iron it, wear it and then it is relegated to the back corner of my closet where I store my "to be ironed" items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironing is my most hated chore. I had rather scrub toilets than to iron!

      Delete
  5. Ironing? Not my favourite task. Not by a long way. One of himself's aunts had five children and said that she liked ironing because it was quiet and clean. I can (sort of) see her point, but haven't been converted.
    I have found that gratitude is a gift which keeps giving - and shows me the joy which sneaks into the darkest of days. And nights.
    Hooray for that caregiver - and your teensy break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The break was a tremendous gift, and I am finding looking for joy only increases it.
      Ironing is the worst. I don't have a housekeeper, but if I could find someone who would come and iron on a bi-weekly basis I would consider it some of the best money I had ever spent.

      Delete
  6. Those little everyday joys are important, aren't they? Often, they are small things and we tend to overlook them as the not-so-joyful happenings of the day overshadow them. I'm glad you are keeping this daily list of joys, Anne. As for finishing projects - I have so many projects I've started and not finished! I'll join you in finishing projects I've started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said the more the merrier, of course as I say this I am sitting here with 2 loads of laundry waiting to be folded and put away as well as all the ironing that I am not going to do today, or tomorrow, or the next day or . . .

      Delete
  7. I laughed when I read your comment that putting on sweats was enjoyable because one of my favorite things is to take my bra off at the end of the day. :p

    Good on T for helping out with your mom to give you a break with the headache. Your moments of joy are a good reminder to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have them, but somedays I forget to look for them.

      Delete
  8. I don't remember if I enjoy ironing since it has been so long since i ironed...lol. Tmmy does not have an iron and has never, ever ironed. I have never hated ironing, but as the years have passed, i have managed to make or buy fewer items that need ironing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I ever end up in Birmingham, I will come over and do all your ironing. I don't mind it. lol Glad you had a good visit with Sluggy and Mr Slug. They were here for 2 nights. I'm looking forward to reading all about it. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they enjoyed being there because they told us. Come on up to Birmingham and we can hang out a bit. TheHub and I have said we need to come to your area. We have a niece, nephew and sister in law who live in both Daphne and Fairhope

      Delete
  10. I hate ironing, too, but I hate dusting even more.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ok with dusting, window washing is not my thing either

      Delete
    2. I have never really washed windows. I do clean the dog slobber off of the inside of the living room windows.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.