Translate

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Joys of the Week, Week 3

 Tempus fugit! We have just completed the third week, but it honestly feels to me like Thanksgiving was just a couple of weeks ago. At this rate in what feels like  a month I will be swimming on the 4th of July, wait a week or two then it will be time to buy Halloween candy, click my heels twice and I will be in full fledged holiday mode again.

I am keeping a list this year (so far) of things that bring me joy each day. My goal is to look back at the end of the year and read all the good things I have to be thankful for, and there are so many things! So here it my joyous things list for this week.

Jan 15. I know this sounds like a weird joy but I almost broke out in my happy dance when I saw this at Aldi. I am a member of the Aldi nerd group on facebook and everyone has been raving about the zero net carb bread. It has not been at any of the Aldi stores I frequent. Today I had a dentist appointment near Aldi so I ran by afterward. Since Keto is a grain free way of eating I only do a cursory look at the bread aisle. If there had not been a big sign saying "Limit 4, I might have never seen it. But as of this minute I am the owner of 4 loaves. I froze 3 and left one out. I tried one slice completely plain and it was not like real bread, but it was a wonderful alternative. I think I will slice it to make 2 very thin slices. I see a peanut butter and (sugar free) jelly sandwich with a glass of almond milk for lunch tomorrow.

Jan 16 Another day, another weird joy. After going to Mom's for the morning sitter gap, I came home and was able to stay at home all day. Whoo hoo! I had forgotten how easy it is get everything on the to-do list done when the day is not filled with interruptions! And because I got everything finished during the day and TheHub is out of town, I was able to spend some time learning to play my Christmas present, a ukulele.  I am playing a very lame version of "Havana". I have always heard that practice makes perfect, but does it apply only if you practice perfectly?



Jan 17 Spent about 45 minutes playing the uke. I am not sure I am necessarily getting better but the fingertips on my left hand are flatter and sore. 1 other specific joy happened today. Remember the skull plates I absolutely had to have, well I found 4 salad plates from the same set. I bought bowls with the dinner plates and knew their designs were different, but I am beyond thrilled with the one on the salad plates. I might like these even better.  Now I wonder what the cups and saucers might possibly look like.





Jan.18  Special joy is DIL1's birthday. I wish we could have been there to celebrate but had to settle for sending her love and a present. The second joy was about TheHub's travel home. He missed his flight out of Newark (no one to blame but himself for that) then was scheduled to fly standby on a much later flight when the snow storm hit. The later flight was delayed a little, but he did make it to Atlanta with about 30 minutes between flights. He made the second flight with a few minutes to spare (why are connecting flights always in a different terminal?) and made it home before 11.

Jan. 19  TheHub and I hung out at home most of the day. We did eat a leisurely breakfast ( I had enough pancakes left over to freeze for a few more meals) before getting dressed for the day. A stay in the pajamas, eat and have several cups of coffee type morning which rarely happens! After the Titans game we watched The Joker. I was indifferent about the movie as a whole but thought Joaquin Phoenix's performance was stellar.  Now we only need to see Parasite, Little Women and Jojo Rabbit

Jan. 20  This sounds like a rather silly joy but it really was something that pleased me tremendously. I was trying to come up a tablescape for the Poe dinner and decided I wanted the table to look a little creepy. Then I thought it would be nice to drip wax all over my silver candlesticks to look like Poe had been doing some serious writing by candlelight. But who want's to clean dripped wax off of them later? Not me!  Instead I covered some glass candlesticks with aluminum foil, then pounced some black paint on scattered areas, blotted it off and added a few strokes of gold and blotted it. The result looked like well tarnished silver candlesticks that I then dripped wax over to my hearts content.  The result it pretty cool and I only sacrificed some foil and one 25 cent candle.

Jan. 21 The Edgar Allen Poe birthday celebration was a success and the table looked really good. We decided as a book club we would celebrate Shakespeare's birthday in April


Jan 15  Breakfast: coffee  Lunch: slice zero carb bread, sliced cheese, coffee Dinner: buffalo chicken dip with veggies and keto crackers Snack: blueberries

Jan 16  Breakfast; coffee, sausage. blueberries  Lunch: huge green salad  Dinner: Keto pbj, almond milk  Snack: olive tapenade, cream cheese

Jan 17  Breakfast: homemade keto bread, bacon  Lunch: coffee  Dinner: chicken veggie (very veggie dense) soup, Diet Coke, Snack: cheese slice, olive tapenade, blueberries

Jan 18  Breakfast: coffee  Lunch: broccoli salad, blueberries, chopped pecans, Dinner: cauliflower with shredded cheese, leftover chopped pork tenderloin with keto bbq sauce  Snack macadamia nuts

Jan 19: Breakfast: coffee, keto pancakes with sf syrup, bacon  Lunch: 5 strawberries  Dinner: Keto chili (veggie dense) over cauliflower, keto cornbread Snack: macadamia nuts

Jan.20 Breakfast: coffee, 1 egg omelet scramblet with onions, peppers and mushrooms, slice of bacon  Lunch: sugar free chocolate almond milk (not good), 4 quarter size keto almond cookies Dinner: baked chicken, broccoli  Snack: Cheese crisps, coffee with cream

Jan 21. Breakfast: coffee  Lunch: coffee (I knew I was going to eat at dinner) Snack: Diet Dr Pepper 
Dinner:   (The appetizers) smoked sausage with mustard dipping sauce, roasted red peppers with cream cheese and olive tapanade  (the meal) roasted chicken, mixed green salad with artichoke hearts, roasted brussels sprouts, cauli rice pilaf (the dessert) keto almond cinnamon cookies.









28 comments:

  1. Love your joys.
    I share DIL1's birthday.
    Today I had a very big joy of my own. For the first morning in weeks there was NO smoke in the sky. Fires still burn, but the wind has taken the smoke away, and the fire action is reduced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so hopeful that the rains will come there soon.

      Delete
  2. I'm an Aldi nerd-need to join I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy looking at the need posts.
      I have found a lot of products I would never have noticed otherwise

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVE the plate! Do you have pictures of the tablescape? I did use dripless candles in a silver candelabra. The problem was the box said "dripless candles" but someone had stored candles that do drip. I took the candelabra outside for Halloween and got a wonderful picture of dripped candle wax. That was clever the way you made your foil candlesticks with drips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like the dishes, it made me very happy to use them last night

      Delete
  4. Wonderful list of joys! Very creative "silver" candlesticks, too! But, I think I'll pass up on the plates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dishes are not for everyone but I really do like them.

      Delete
  5. I would love to have seen photos of your tablescape. As far as grain free bread not being like real bread, but a good alternative, well, that's how we are feeling about meat substitutes as we have been meat free since November. Some products are super weird, but when we find one that's good, we feel satisfied. I made stuffed peppers with Beyond Meat "ground beef" and it was pretty good. I'm still on the fence about tofu though. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a friend who always said if you have a choice between rich or wallpaper paste,just eat the paste.

      Delete
    2. Dam preemptive spelling that was supposed to say tofu

      Delete
    3. Haha! I was going to say....I would choose rich for sure. lol Yeah, tofu is a tough one.

      Delete
  6. You will like Jo Jo Rabbit. And if you are a fan of Joaquin Phoenix check out "Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot" on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see if this week. Will check out the movie on Amazon

      Delete
  7. Great list of joys! A ukulele sounds like an interesting instrument to learn to play. Do you play any other stringed instruments. My skills are limited to a the chords on a piano from my lessons 50 odd years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had both a uke and guitar when I was a teen but have played neither since then

      Delete
  8. I love those side plates too! Glad your book club supper went off well. A ukulele is way beyond my ability, good for you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have loved to see pictures of your table sounds like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a couple of pictures but non of the full table

      Delete
  10. What, no photos of the Poe table!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of the centerpiece and one of the place setting

      Delete
  11. I am a big Aldi's fan, so I just joined the nerd group. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am hoping at the end of the year,I will look back and think that the year was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Aldi nerd group sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.