Translate

Monday, November 8, 2021

Ho Hum!

Do you ever have weeks that you only accomplish the bare minimum because you just aren't feeling like doing more than has to be done. I had one of those weeks last week, and this is the result of my lackluster performance.



What I had planned:
1. Chili, coleslaw, cornbread
2. Creamed collards with smoked sausage, cornbread
3. Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad
4. White bbq chicken, caulitato salad, tomato slices (dicey)
5. Takeout
6. Grilled swordfish or salmon croquettes (weather will edecide) with some sides and salad
7. Polynesian chicken, rice or caulirice, green beans, pineapple slices 

What really happened:
Monday: I had bought some keto Polynesian cooking sauce and it was a great night to give it a try. The verdict__the sauce is OK but nothing to really write home about. I did sautés onions and peppers and added it to the chicken and sauce which made it feel more like sweet and sour chicken, especially since I served it over pineapple bits.
Polynesian chicken over pineapple, saffron rice (or none), coleslaw

Tuesday: The night was really cool and perfect for dinner in a bowl.
Chili, Fritos (or none) coleslaw

Wednesday: I had a spur of the moment invitation to meet a friend for dinner at a local joint. TheHub picked up something to eat on his way home. 
Thai Basil Chicken from Pho Pho, and whatever TheHub bought.

Thursday: I have been wanting to try this ever since I read about it, though I did southify the original recipe quite a bit.
Creamed collards, toast

Friday: TheHub had some people in town (business thing) and had to take them wining and dining. There is a huge difference between the two of us when the other will not be home for dinner. I just looked in the freezer and pulled out some frozen leftovers.
Leftover vegetable soup

Saturday: TheHub left fro the ballgame much earlier than normal. Those same people we was entertaining Friday night also went to the ball game with him and Son2. I was bored hungry early in the day so I ate my dinner for lunch. DIL2 came over to watch the ball game with me, fortunately I had other leftovers for her.
Leftover collard greens, DIL leftover chili

Sunday: This was just a regular Sunday with plenty of time to cook, but not a lot of desire.
White bbq chicken (cooked in the oven instead of grilled), caulitato salad, toast

What might happen if I can get out of the doldrums.
1. Keto chicken spaghetti, tossed salad
2. Salmon croquettes, brussels sprouts, potatoes of some kind (or none)
3. Taco salad
4. Veggie meal TBD later but possibly black eyed peas, turnip greens and cornbread
5. Kraut and sausage, green beans, carrot and raisin salad (?)
6. Take out
7. Something else with chicken, just don't know what

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all!












26 comments:

  1. I feel the same as you do. But, the antibiotic is making me lethargic. I just don't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like feeling like this and have got to get my rear in gear. Maybe tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. I hope you can leave your cooking doldrums behind you. That said, your weekly menu sounds MUCH more exciting than mine. I seem to be in set and forget mode and eat the same things most of the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad thing for me is that I really do enjoy cooking, but lately I have been so apathetic about nearly everything.

      Delete
  3. I always feel like this when it comes to home related activities! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not usually like this and at least will feel guilty about what I didn't do.

      Delete
  4. I totally get it, some days I just don't have it in me to make anything. Good thing my son doesn't mind grilled cheese sandwiches or sloppy joes. :)

    Hoping you mood improves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mood is already a little better!
      Grilled cheese sandwiches are a favorite here!

      Delete
  5. How were the creamed collards? I love collards, and turnip greens, and mustard greens....lol. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The collards were so good. Positing about them tomorrow!

      Delete
  6. You are usually so creative with your meal planning and cooking that an off week still sounds pretty good to me! "Something with chicken" is what I am planning to have for dinner, tonight! :D The chicken thighs have been thawing in the fridge, overnight. It'll probably be a curry, because that's what I do when I don't know what else to cook! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your something with chicken was wonderful! Who knows what mine will turn out to be?

      Delete
  7. Any chance you could share your white bbq chicken recipe? I love white bbq and have tried dozens of recipes. I have one I usually stick with but would enjoy seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is a Bob Gibson copycat recipe that I tweak just a tad
      1/2 cup mayo (Dukes only IMO) 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (I use Splenda, use more to taste I just don't like it terribly sweet)
      ½ teaspoon prepared horseradish,½ teaspoon ground black pepper, pinch cayenne pepper, water if you want to thin it down. I use it straight up as a basting sauce while cooking so we never pour it over chicken when we are eating.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! Will try soon.

      Delete
  8. Bare minimum has been my motto a lot. Nothing wrong with your menu though. I'd live in toast, hummus, popcorn, coffee and bagged salads if I didn't cook for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would eat popcorn every night for dinner if it were just me. Or ice cream!

      Delete
  9. The very short days and the very dark nights may have something to do with a blah week. Despite all of that, you managed to eat every night and cook for most of them. Actually, all of them. I count warming up stuff from the freezer as cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it is homemade it is a cooked meal, whether it was from the freezer or not!

      Delete
  10. We are enjoying summer here in Australia and the sunshine makes a difference, however the afternoons aren't very productive because of the heat. I remember the short days when I lived in England, I think we just do what we can, when we can and take the pressure off ourselves. The really important things that need doing will rise to the top and get done, and I am sure everyone will be fed.Take care and indulge yourself a little. Best wishes from Oz, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I indulged too much and now I have to put the gas on and get a lot of stuff done, quickly!

      Delete
  11. I have a lot of doldrums and just roll with it. At some point I do what I need to do.
    I just read your previous post about the anonymous person questioning your joy. It's a miserable thing for them to say, I sometimes read blogs full of whining and just think the writers are whiney (theres a difference between an honest and open acknowledgement of a feeling or problem and a self serving list of complaints)

    I like your focus on joy......and food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works for me! And you are right mentioning something that is a true problem is a lot different than continual complaints!

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry, I hope you feel better. I'm glad that you have something to look forward to...that trip to see Pip will be so much fun!! Be sure to let us know what you think of the train trip. That is a dream of mine, to take a cross country train trip and stop to see some of the national parks.
    Your meals sound good to me! Thanks for the white bbq chicken recipe, I think I will try that this week. No idea what I'm fixing for supper tonight as I forgot to get the pork roast out of the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I read this post again today. I need to grab something from the freezer to thaw in time for dinner tonight.

      Delete
  13. Really looking forward to that creamed collards recipe! Sounds wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.