Translate

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Almost December

Let's talk about December and what it has in store for you....


1. How much importance do you place on December holidays?  Do you plan and prepare? Is that part of the fun for you or would you rather dispense with it? 
I don't know how much importance I place on the holidays, but I do enjoy them. At least I did pre-covid. Now I am not so sure.
Things have changed and our family is spread across the country, so the big family Christmas celebration is not something we have anymore. My granddaughter lives in Oregon and as much as I would love to have her here at Christmas, I truly believe kids need to be at their own house Christmas morning.
I do plan and do prepare then usually change plans mid-way through. I am an over decorator for the holidays and even though I do use the same decorations year after year I make sure they look different each and every year. 
I was feeling hopeful that we could do a bit of entertaining this year, but now that Omicron is on the horizon I guess only
time will tell.

2. Food is a big part of the holiday season.  Which foods and treats do you most look forward to having?
We have some foods that we enjoy every year. Instead of a Christmas dinner, we have a Christmas brunch, and a huge breakfast casserole is always served. Along side of it we might have turkey, goose, lamb, ham . . . whatever strikes my fancy, and whatever vegetable sides appeal to me a few days before hand. It changes every year, but there are a few contestants also. Each year I make peanut butter fudge, praline fudge,  spice cookies, and spritz cookies. They are always on a platter for brunch.  
There is no other meal for the day until dinner which is always tomato soup and grilled cheese.

3. It is a season for family, friends, guests and giving.  Would you write a bit about how it all comes together for you in December?  
Our plans are always very organic and happen as they happen. I do not ever have a Christmas "script" and just go with the flow. I enjoy spontaneous entertaining (as long as the house is presentable)  

4. Life changes and traditions alter due to those changes. Has anything changed for you and if so how? If not, would you mind sharing your traditions with us?
Almost everything has changed. Both my parents and TheHub's parents are deceased and only one son lives in town. He and his wife split their holidays between each other's friends and family. Son3 and his wife will be in Europe  this Christmas (hopefully but that depends on Covid travel restrictions) and Son1 and family will be in Oregon.
TheHub's siblings have done what normally happens after the parents are gone, and have split into celebrations with their own family's children and grandchildren. 
My sister and her husband will still be here for Christmas brunch, and we might invite our neighbors this year.

This year we were in Oregon and were able to be a part of our DIL's first night of Hanukkah, which was lovely. I loved being a part of a tradition that is thousands of years old and am very thankful she included us in it. I also loved how our granddaughter scrounged up a Hanukkah gift for one of her friends who was very interested in Hanukkah and also wanted to be included in the ceremony.



33 comments:

  1. I would love to answer all this, but can't right now. I did enjoy hearing about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find with no young children in my life, the holiday is so different. I loved parenting during the holidays and I feel left behind a bit now that they are grown. I am not saying this to put pressure on my kids to marry and have children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adult Christmases are different but they have a special type of fun at least with my not so socially correct crew !

      Delete
  3. Christmas traditions definitely evolve over time. It was my mother's birthday so Christmas was extra special (though I doubt she would have said so as she was responsible for all the meal prep).

    I'm so thrilled you were able to be with your son1, your DIL and granddaughter for part of the holiday season. I know I'm so fortunate to live nearby my grandson and able to experience Christmas with him.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very lucky to be able to be part of his Christmas!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad (reading between the lines) that your recent excursion was WONDERFUL.
    We have a low key Christmas (both sets of parents are now deceased) and our family spread across the country and indeed the world.
    I have started baking.
    It will be HOT so we will have a cold lunch, which will include fruit salad - which I insist on for Christmas. Himself will have turkey breast and salad (which I will cook/make the night before).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our trip was more than wonderful.
      Christmas, like life, is ever changing, but low key is not a bad thing!

      Delete
  5. Things have definitely changed since Covid. Also we are spread out too. I miss the gatherings back in the day when we all lived in Illinois. I read an article from a female doctor in Africa who had a lot of new patients and actually had testing done which found the Omicron virus. She said the symptoms are different but very mild.
    These were mainly unvaccinated people. As seniors they said we much still be careful. The end of the article said "Meanwhile, in the United States, Dr. Anthony Fauci is making headlines for what, unsurprisingly, may be fear mongering."
    Yum on your desserts!! Change is not easy. I miss so much from the past but the best part now is living near James. Take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky to live near your grandson. I wish I were able to spend more in person time with Pip.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed reading your responses to the questions, Anne. I enjoy all the preparations for Christmas, but, in most years past, we've gone to family and friends' homes for Christmas dinner. Last year, a friend brought us Christmas dinner! I'm not sure what we'll do for Christmas this year, but, it doesn't matter as my daughter will be home to celebrate with me! I might make some biriyani rice and chicken curry and we'll both be quite happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The celebrations can be small or large and neither is better than the other, just different! And look what a gift this pandemic has brought you. You have had a lot of quality time with your daughter!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed your post the video on Hanukkah. We are planning on a family gathering and hoping we will all be safe. We didn't get together last year. All my family is local.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so fortunate to have everyone local! Our son and dil who live in New York spent the month of December and part of January with us last year and it was great for both of us. They were in a very small Manhattan apartment and just needed some outside space, and we enjoyed the company. This year they are going to be having Christmas in Sweden which will be great since DIL2 has not been able to travel to her home for the past 2 years.

      Delete
  8. Yes, it seems the traditions change as the family dynamics change, people die or move away and we have to adapt and move on one way or another. We have been the ones who moved a lot in our younger years, and we were often away from our parents' homes for the holidays, so we invited people in to our home who also needed a home to belong to. Now we are retired, and families are spread about, but our own two remaining sons both live close so we are blessed to have our nuclear family here for special occasions. Your time in Oregon sounded so wonderful, and it's great that your DIL included you all in the Hanukah celebration. That is very meaningful and good that you participated. I don't allow negative thoughts about the "virus" to enter my mind anymore. We will use common sense if someone does not feel well they do what they need to do, but we won't allow fear to govern our lives. We will still celebrate Christmas even if it is just us. I love to decorate and enjoy the lights and sights and smells and sounds of Christmas even if no one else ever comes around to see it. It still brings joy to me, so I do what I do to keep the traditions going one way or another. Probably when I get OLD I will not be able to hang my stocking by the chimney with care anymore...but maybe someone will do it for me. God bless you my friend. Have a blessed and wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only constant is life is change. We will enjoy the season no matter how it plays out.

      Delete
  9. I have always loved Christmas. It was especially fun with little children. But, times change. Christmas foods then and now are much a do over of Thanksgiving. And, that's alright with me. I don't make cookies much, but fudge, breads and pies are my choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas is a fun time and I enjoy the entire season!

      Delete
  10. That was so nice of your DIL to include you in their celebration for the first night. It’s sad when family is far away during the holidays. My brother wants us to come to Illinois for Christmas but I do not want to travel during the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind traveling when it is cold, but I do not want to drive through snow. Probably because I have never had to and don't really know how!

      Delete
  11. You had me with the peanut butter fudge and praline fudge. I tend to be an over decorator too. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over decorating is a requirement as far as I am concerned. So is the fudge!

      Delete
  12. I’m glad you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're enjoying much quieter holidays than we did in the past. Like your idea of a big Christmas brunch, a lot. May have to do that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brunch is so much easier and what could possibly be better than brunch with coffee and a morning cocktail!

      Delete
  14. I love your granddaughter's generous heart! I, too, would love learning more about Chanukah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her heart also! I love being included in their traditions.

      Delete
  15. Everything did change after my momma died. she died in November and was close to my mentally ill son. I have a son who has mental health issues and can be violent, and the holidays seem to trigger him. We have always been low key because of him and now, I just fly out West to visit daughter so we can all avoid the drama. . The other three siblings do not want to be around him. Folks who have this issue in their family understand and those who don’t can just sit and judge. I do not care. My job is to keep everyone safe, including him. Their dad was difficult at the holidays also. It is what it is. I do not sugarcoat nor deny how things really are. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son is lucky to have you, and your daughter must have a very kind heart.

      Delete
  16. I'm not Jewish but I have always loved (the little I know) of Jewish traditions so lucky you being involved in Hannukah! I'm lucky that I have both my sons locally (and now the Munchkin of course) so it will be interesting to see how our traditions evolve now that the roles have changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so fortunate to be able to be around and share time with the baby (who will not be a baby very long since time passes so fast)

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.