Translate

Friday, November 5, 2021

Just Doing My Own Thing

It was suggested anonymously that I was Pollyannish about my life because "no life is filled with nothing but joy". 

My life is far from perfect and crap happens all the time, but my blog is not my bitching post. Life is difficult for everyone and my troubles are mine, no one else's.  I do not feel the need to share the things or people I might be upset with. I don't want anyone to read my blog and assume I am perpetually pissed off. Yes, I can bitch, moan and groan with the best of them. I am easily angered (it never lasts long) and am about as sarcastic as they come. But that is not what my blog is ever going to be about. 

I can choose to wallow in what is going wrong or I can opt to not let unpleasant things rule me. Given the power of choice, I will choose concentrating on happiness and joy every time. 

So Anonymous, if my choosing joy pisses you off, then adios, don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.




 Friday: My Beloved Sister and I drove to Restaurant Far Away to meet My Beloved Cousin, her husband, My Other Beloved Cousin, and our Uncle Bob (the international cool guy uncle) for lunch. Uncle Bob is the spryest, most together 95 year old you will ever meet, and is the only remaining sibling of our mother's and father, respectively. The restaurant was about 45 minutes away so we left my house at 10:45, just to make sure we would be on time for a noon lunch. We knew we would be a little early, but we were allowing for traffic. 
We ate and laughed, talked and laughed some more, then finally left to go home. I pulled into my driveway at 4:30. It was a long lunch, but was wonderful to see them. (BTW we tipped the waitress  3 different times while we were there, because we figured we occupied 3 different turns of her table)
TheHub was pulling in as I got to the front door, he changed clothes so we could have a most unusual date night. We went to get our Covid boosters, then headed to the grocery store to pick up a little more Halloween candy. We have a several new families in the neighborhood and I have no idea how many to plan for this year. I had rather have too much than too little, so anything leftover will go straight to the freezer. When we came out it was raining and we both decided to just go home, make a simple dinner and read.

Saturday: We woke to a very cool (cold if you live in Alabama) wet day. We were both not feeling great, (reaction from the covid booster)but we still had a few things we needed to get done for the day.
I had scheduled a pick up for some furniture we were donating to a non-profit that outfits homeless veterans apartments. Win/win! They came early which enabled us to get an earlier start on our recon mission. 
I think we have enough information to make a decision, and pull the trigger on purchasing our gift to each other. 
The last place we went was in the same area Son2 and DIL2 live so they met us for lunch at a very nice new restaurant. Kudos to their small city for creating a beautiful public space . It is a large outdoor area with a huge covered seating space, a stage for outdoor performances, and restaurants surrounding it. One of the restaurants featured some flower art, though it looked like  people had helped themselves to a few of the flowers. Why?


Flower art: dia de los Muertos




Sunday: The biggest joy was waking and feeling so much better. Saturday evening TheHub had a slight fever and I could not get warm. A good night's sleep helped both of us so much. The bonus was the day itself. After a cold wet Saturday, Sunday was glorious, bright, sunny and warm for the perfect Trick or Treat night. 
And what could be more wonderful than having a bunch of adorable kids knock on your door! Happy Halloween to me!

Monday: After a meeting with attorneys, My Beloved Sister and I had a late lunch at a local restaurant.  The trick to safe dining out is to go after 2. Virtually no one eats then!
Later I put my fall/winter bed put together. I change things over according to the weather, not the calendar and we have just started having cooler weather. My heavier bedding is perfect now. The comforter is a paprika color, but I had to change the pillow shams I love. They are a deep royal blue and I would hate for anyone to see my bed and assume we are Auburn fans.
After TheHub got home from the office we ran and looked again for our joint "everything" present. At some point we have to quit looking and make a purchase, but there are so many options to consider. While we were out we noticed the sky was brilliant red so we hurried up to our spot on the bluff. We missed the actual sunset, but the sky was filled with pinks and oranges and reds. We sat there talking until the last bits of color were gone. 

Tuesday: The day was mostly a ho-hum kind of day, though I did catch up via the phone with one of my  best friends.
Mid-afternoon my favorite neighbor texted me that 2 police cars were in front of my house with the officers talking to each other through their car windows. She suggested I hide anything incriminating just in case they raided my house. I told her I was sure the keto police had called VHPD and ratted me out, because I had 2 unopened packs of full size Hershey bars left over from Halloween. 

Wednesday: Ugh! I started cleaning my holiday closet, which is a fancy name I use for the weird closet in one of the upstairs rooms that holds everything but the kitchen sink. I came across several items I no longer need nor want, so I offered them for the taking on our neighborhood FB site. Hooray I have takers for them without having to drive to Goodwill. 
I also met a very dear friend for dinner. She had moved to Nashville many years ago, but has returned to Birmingham. I always have so much fun with her and we plan on doing it again one night next week!

Thursday: I was sipping my coffee when TheHub called to talk about getting some things done around the house. I told him I had rather wait until after our trip. Then he told me the event I had invited some people  for lunch prior to said event was scheduled Dec.2 rather than the first week of January like I thought it was. Yikes!  We return from Portland November 28, so those Thanksgiving decorations I had just put out went back in the box and I began stripping the house to make room for Christmas decorations. 
I think I need to find the wizard and ask for a brain. I believe the only joy here was finding I had the incorrect date while I still have 2 weeks before we leave. Now it is time for me to get off the computer and get my rear in gear.

Have a great week finding your joys wherever they may be.

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne


 

48 comments:

  1. The skull made of flowers looks really neat! I'm fascinated by all the variety of art and craft work done for the Day of the Dead.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the flowers also. In addition to the large arrangement on the wall, each restaurant had a day of the dead floral arrangement by the entrance to their stores.

      Delete
  2. Now trolls are crabbing about positivity? Ironic! We all deal with life, and from time to time, the blog serves as an outlet, but why write about stress and crap as a blog theme. I love your joy list, humble and big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam I am not a Jetsetter and my joys are so small they would seem ridiculous to others, but they are mine.
      No one wants to hear that I stepped in dog poo while getting the mail in after dark.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading your joys. They remind me how much I am taking for granted and not enjoying my life to the fullest. Actually, every day we wake up healthy is a joy. Thanks for sharing your joys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we wake on this side of the ground we should be joyful!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoy reading your weekly joys. They help me find the joys in my life when I am feeling down. You are so right--we all have our troubles.
    Susan
    PS. I hope you were able to hide anything incriminating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pffft to anon. Who obviously hasn't been reading your posts properly.
    And hooray for joys. They ARE there, on even the crappiest day and are so very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days they are hard to find so I have to look extra hard for them, but I keep looking.

      Delete
  6. Anon sounds like an unhappy person.
    I enjoy reading your joys. Sounds like a lovely week.
    I was in Aldi buying the cheese advent calendar when a man came up to me and asked why I bought such a thing. I said it was fun trying a new cheese each day. He told me to enjoy all the fun I could because things were getting bad.
    Wasn't he a cheerful soul? Give me a pollyanna any day. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would anyone out there give a fat rat's fanny what you were buying, much less mention how bad things are getting?
      Anon should have posted his/her complaint before I started monitoring comments. Then it would have been out there for everyone to see.

      Delete
  7. I like your posts! Roll Tide! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I like mine and other times I think I am the most boring person on the planet.
      Roll Tide back at you!

      Delete
  8. It's so funny, I never found you to be Pollyanna-ish at all - the fact that you were deliberately choosing to look for the joy was clear to me, and a good reminder to boot. Anonymous must be a deeply unhappy person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very consciously recount at least one joy each day so I can re-read them at the year's end and remember that each day (even the dark, crappy days) held something to be joyful about.

      Delete
  9. That flower display is just lovely isn't it, but I agree - why take flowers out of it and destroy the display? People can be so thoughtless sometimes. As for someone suggesting you are Pollyanna-ish, you have every right to keep parts of your life private and if that makes you "Pollyanna-ish" well so be it. (But I hope the keto police didn't find anything incriminating, all the same)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why anyone would take the flowers from the display, yet they did. It made me so happy just to see it.
      I am too fast for the keto police and made a mad dash to the freezer!

      Delete
  10. The anonymous commenter can bite me. I love reading your joys - this week especially because it's been a rough one here. You keep doing you.

    No candy left here after Halloween. I had ten kids show up just before I ran out of candy. I could only give one piece each! We normally don't have more than 40 and this year it was over 50 kids. I suspect it had more to do with having missed last year because it was pretty cool (cold on your scale). :)

    Glad you were able to get your boosters. Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you had a fun trick or treat night too. Our total was a little less, but there was a big neighborhood party before and some of the kids just partied and went no further. I love seeing them!

      Delete
  11. Seriously? I think 'Anonymous' needs to get a life. You and your Hubs sound pretty darn refreshing. Methinks we could all benefit from your philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not refreshing, but we are trying to navigate what is the new normal with some sense of levity.

      Delete
  12. Your joys are always uplifting, and not at all pollyanna-ish. You find the positive, even when life is rough. Anon is unhappy and looking to validate that, I think. I am sad right now, too many family losses, and your joy posts help me see there is good to be found. Thank you. Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times we are all sad, Celie. I look for anything uplifting and some days it is hard to find.

      Delete
  13. I love how others know what is best for YOUR blog! The anonymity this social media world allows is hitting a LOT of bloggers these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big girl and can take criticism, but don't hide it under an anonymous posting.

      Delete
  14. You continue to look for and post those joys and we will continue to read and enjoy them. No, life is not all happiness and joy, but, that's all the more reason to look for the joys to keep from being swallowed up by the other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can slide down a dark hole easily so I have been making an effort to find something good everyday.

      Delete
  15. Anonymous needs to get a life. I don't always comment, but I do look forward to reading your joys each week as usually at least one and most of the time more leaves me with a smile. Anonymous must be miserable is all I can think. Sounds like you had a great week with socializing a bit and getting your booster! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying getting out a tad more. I am still overly cautious and have been known to glare at people who are physically too close to me.

      Delete
  16. I try to be generally positive on my blog, also. I find it helps me reset my thinking if I'm in a negative mood. However, I've been told by one person at work that I'm too positive. Can't please everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh, I hate trolls! Don't they have anything better to do with their time? If they don't like what they read, just frigging move on. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. Keep doing you!

    I enjoy reading all your joys. It gives me some joy too, especially when I'm having a crappy day or week. Sounds like you had a busy week. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me (don't ask TheHub though, he will say I am lying, but is totally different) just use your name with your complaints.

      Delete
  18. I never thought of you as a Pollyanna! I have determined that the online presence is not always the same as in real life. Wow, I am such a philosopher...lol It takes little to give me great pleasure. The sun shining makes lots of things right. Under the Influence of Chocolate? Do they check for remnants of chocolates on your person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am way to cynical to ever be mistaken as Pollyanna.
      I am glad there is no breathalyzer for DUIC!

      Delete
  19. Me thinks "anonymous" needs Jesus. Then she can be joyful too, even when things aren't so grand. Joy comes from within, not without. It is a state of being, no matter what the world throws at us, we still have that deep fountain of joy that overflows even when the well appears to be dry. It carries us through the deep valleys and lonesome trails of life...it gives us peace when the world is in chaos...it is joy unspeakable that only an unshakeable faith in God can bring. Yes, "anonymous" just needs Jesus, and then maybe she'll understand. Meanwhile, I enjoy your posts. You are real and honest and very interesting to boot! Life is too short to go around being glum all the time. Yes, we can be honest and real when it hurts, but still, there is that joy that never ends. The end of my rambling. I enjoyed your post. So there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be a pessimist and I know it, so I actively seek out the good things in life. They are always there!

      Delete
  20. Ugh, these trolls need to go away. They are a nuisance. Your blog, you post anything you want to post. :) I love reading about your joys, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they had left a name with it I would have published their post, but anonymous posts are not going to be junked and this is the only time I will respond to one.

      Delete
  21. I like your posts! Roll Tide!!!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a beautiful flower display.

    I feel sad for people who can't find joy in the small parts of life, or celebrate the happy moments. I sometimes stumble blogs that come across that way, and/or know some people like that in real life. It must be exhausting going through life focusing on the negative, rather than seeking out the small wins. Of course we all have negatives in our lives. We all deal with sickness, and the crazy news cycles, and rude people, and bill paying & poor customer service, and all of the big & small things that are a challenge. You can either let those things consume you, or focus on the brighter things. Sorry, that got long.

    For me, I had such a lovely dinner out with three teenage boys last night. No phones, no surliness/moodiness. Just so much laughing & eating & joy. It was a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just not going to let my life be ruled by the things that go wrong! I envy you dinner with the guys. Those days were so much fun!

      Delete
  23. What a stupid thing for someone to chastise you about. And what the hell is wrong with having a little Pollyanna in your life?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make myself look for the joys every day, because I can go dark if I don't!

      Delete
  24. I really like your blog, I have tried to comment several times saying that, but don't know what happened. May be my internet connection on my end. Roll Tide! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.