Translate

Monday, December 5, 2022

Are Leftovers "Used" Food?

With all the Thanksgiving and holiday guest foods left over, the only thing I had to do this week was warm stuff in the microwave. Now we can move on to regular meals. Whoopee!  Surely something will sound good at some point this week, except that I am totally uninspired.



What was planned for the past week;
Hamburger 
Stuffed baked potato
Out to eat
More leftovers
Leftovers
Leftovers

What really happened
Monday: Hamburger, iced tea
Tuesday: Leftover ziti, leftover tossed salad
Wednesday: Leftover bourbon glazed meatballs over rotini, leftover (kind of sad looking) tossed salad
Thursday: Leftover chicken pot pie, arugula salad with lemon basil dressing (finally something that was not leftover)
Friday: Out to eat at The Electric. El Paso salad for me, flatbreads for TheHub
Saturday: Tomato soup and oyster crackers (We were not hungry)
Sunday: Tossed salad, crackers and cheese (Again, we were not hungry)

What might happen
1. Stuffed baked potato
2. Grilled cheese sandwich, soup
3. Grilled tuna steaks, tossed salad
4. Stuffed bell pepper, coleslaw, green beans
5. Out to eat
6. Salad dinner
7. Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad
8. Some sort of quiche because I just found one of those crappy pie crusts (according to Kim) in the fridge


Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

24 comments:

  1. Stuffed Baked Potatoes sounds good. We need to do that this week too. Your menu sounds delicious. I love having leftovers as we just need to reheat and eat. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically reformat the leftovers but this time I just reheated.

      Delete
  2. That was a funny question, almost like calling the bread outlet the "Used bread store."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leftovers are GOOD. And some things taste even better that way - I am thinking curries and some casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things are much better leftover. The ziti we had is one of those!

      Delete
  4. Lol. I turned “used” leftover spinach into a spinach dip. Ditto on the leftover shrimp and rice dish. I will probably do coleslaw, and also maybe potatoes and turnips baked in cast iron skillet with green collard leafs on top. Cindy in the South.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My preference is to make something totally different out of leftovers, but this past week I just zapped them and we ate.

      Delete
  5. Have been eating lots of leftover too and I don't mind that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the term, "pre-loved", myself! LOL. A lot of my leftovers are "planned-overs" - I cook a bit extra on the first day to have the next day and the next. If I am still having it by the 4th or 5th day, then, it becomes leftovers or I make it over! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have planned overs sometimes but it usually means making something different from a protein we ate.

      Delete
  7. I love leftovers, too. The best part about hosting a big dinner is the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I had family in for the week, I cooked a lot of huge meals. We just had too many leftovers, but aiming for no food waste means we have to eat them until they're gone.

      Delete
  8. A lack of inspiration is pretty normal around here. If I remember to take something out of the freezer to thaw the night prior, then I make something relatively decent. But if it doesn't dawn on me to think about dinner until that morning, it's usually something quick and easy. Tonight was bacon and eggs on toast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, notice canned tomato soup and crackers one night last week

      Delete
  9. I hear you about leftovers,but lately, I'm happy for dinner x 2 or 3. No ambition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am usually fine with leftovers (TheHub is not crazy about them) but we were overrun with them last week, running into this week now.

      Delete
  10. Everyone in my family expects leftovers, which is great, because we have them 2-3x/week. I just heat them again, unless it's a special case. There is no remaking. I have no idea what things will look like when I'm cooking for just the two of us. I'll probably cook more often, but make smaller batches. I don't love leftovers, but rely on them to make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub is not a big fan of leftovers so I generally try to at least reformat them

      Delete
  11. My food often goes straight to leftover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to cook more intentionally so we will not have any more than I will have for lunch a couple of days.

      Delete
  12. Nice post thank you Valdi

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.