Translate

Monday, December 12, 2022

A Food Reformation Movement

Just when you think you have all the leftovers done and gone a few creatures rear their ugly heads. Sunday when Son3 and DILl3 were still here, they and their friend wanted Publix fried chicken for lunch. We bought one of the large family packs, but only the three of them ate it so there was quite a bit left over.
I left it in the fridge until everyone left Monday evening, then pulled all the batter off the chicken pieces, removed the chicken from the bone, and stuck it on the freezer.  I also found one sweet potato that had not been cooked,  along with a raw  crown of broccoli that  in the crisper drawer. 
Add that to the small bag of sliced ham I stuck in the freezer, and I wound up with the beginnings for 3 unplanned meals.

I am not even going to bother posting what was planned since I don't think we had a single planned meal. Nothing to do but let what had to happen happen!
 


Monday night: Ham slices, potato salad, shredded Brussels sprouts with basil lemon dressing (leftover from a few nights ago), almond Kringle (Thanks Trader Joe's*)

Tuesday: Chicken divan (used the leftover fried chicken and leftover broccoli crown) dinner rolls

Wednesday: Sweet potato soup, mixed greens, and cheese toast

Thursday: Out to eat at a local meat and 3. TheHub had chopped steak and veggies, I had a veggie plate.

Friday: Grabbed food  from Culvers,  fish sandwiches

Saturday: TheHub and I met Son2, DIL2 and TGS at a restaurant. No idea what they all had but I had crab chowder and a side salad.

Sunday: Neither of us felt well so it was a chicken noodle soup kind of a night

Ideas for this week
1. Conecuh sausage, cabbage, potato one dish meal
2. Soup (possibly potato soup ) salad
3. Leftover seafood pot pie (TheHub over ordered Saturday night) salad
4. Chicken and dumplings, shaved Brussels sprouts with lemon tarragon dressing 
5. Christmas party Friday, Saturday and Sunday night (all three are dinner parties)

* If you have a Trader Joe's near you go and get one or two of these. They not only are delicious but they freeze very well. They are a little pricy, but so good that I think they are worth it.

19 comments:

  1. Finally, I can hear music on your blog. I remember the days when people sang instead of putting on a stage show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid at summer camp we did a dance to this song.

      Delete
  2. My youngest loves CULVERS fish sandwiches. It'll be a request when she's home. I over bought vegetables so need to make sure all get used. I end d up at a NHL hockey game, but had put dinner in crockpot that DH barely made a dent in- mock lasagna, so there's a whole 2nd meal for supper plus lunch. My daughter will be here Wednesday for supper and that'll use a lot of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and your Hub are feeling much better. Out three nights next week? Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three Christmas parties we go to each year are on consecutive nights this year.

      Delete
  4. Hope both you and your husband are feeling better. You did well with the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't heard that song in forever. A fun way to start the morning. Hope you and hubs are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're feeling better. It's been a long time since I've heard that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and I am not sure exactly how it jumped into my brain but once in it would not leave me alone.

      Delete
  7. I have to avoid Trader Joes holiday treats, because I'm obsessed with the dark chocolate covered peppermint Jos, as well as the chocolate covered shortbread star cookies. I can't even go in there, because I keep wanting to add them to the cart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just bought my first almond Kringle at Aldi's yesterday! Was debating between that and a raspberry one, Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen them at my Aldi this year but have bought them there before!

      Delete
  9. Publix makes the BEST fried chicken! Sadly, we've no nearby Trader Joe's. We're going up to the BJCC Thursday evening, but son and DIL are chauffeuring, and I don't want to ask them to make a detour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going to see Transiberian Orchestra? They. put on a fantastic show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of your meals sound delicious, Anne. I like that Conecuh sausage. It has a very distinct flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.