Translate

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Time is marching

 Oh me oh my, week 48 is gone and I barely (by one minute) got this posted on Saturday. Now begins week 49. The past week is like the others for 2022 and seems like it was over before it even began. Even as fast as it flew it still had joys, large and small. Does it seem like the year should be over this quickly? 




Saturday: Everyone but me went to the Alabama/Auburn ball game. I stayed at home doing some serious cleaning and cooking.  They arrived home for a late chili dinner. 8 of us total. There was a lot of laughter and post game talk.

Sunday: We messed around the house. Son3 did all of their laundry so they could take clean clothes back home with them which was smart since their apartment has washing options neither in the actual apartment nor on the premises. There is a laundromat down the block, but I am glad they arrived home with no dirty clothes.
Son2 DIL2 and TGS came over for turkey pot pie, a little music, a lot of laughs, and very little serious conversation.

Monday: I had to get up relatively early to get Son3 and DIL3 to the airport for their flight home. Their friend had a later flight so he and I talked for a while, went out to grab some lunch (It seems Chick-Fil-A is a destination  meal if it is hard to find in your neck of the woods.) TheHub came home in time to ride with me to take him to the airport. We stopped and picked up a burger on our way home, came home, ate and crashed.

Tuesday: I did not have to get up to cook breakfast or speak to anyone, so I slept until I woke without an alarm, read and started on a mountain of laundry. I love guests but hate all the washing that comes afterward. One of the special joys was that Son3 had gathered all the towels and brought them downstairs before they left. Every little bit of help is much appreciated.

Wednesday: I was supposed to go to class, but was a day off and thought is was Tuesday until it was too late to go. Oh well. Instead I did a little cleaning (very little) and a boatload of reading.

Thursday: DIL1 had asked me if I could find a photo of the bridge over the creek in my parents back yard. My sister, dad, and I lugged cross ties for the structure as well as boards to build the actual footbridge down to the creek when we were teens. We had a lot of sweat equity in that thing and it lasted for over thirty years until one too may floods washed it away.
My older sons loved playing on it and they talk about it all the time. DIl1 is planning on using one of the photos as part of her Christmas gift to Son1.
Long story even longer, the best photos we could find were old 35mm slides. Hmmm, they needed to be in digital form, so my beloved sister and I found a place in town that does digital conversions of every type of film. She went with me and 75 bucks later I had 5 (yes, count them, just 5) photos digitized in a high resolution so DIL1 can have them printed however she wants. Maybe I should count that as one of her Christmas presents from me?
After we left the Image Hive we went exploring, then out to lunch. It was a beautiful fall day with one of my favorite people.

Friday: Errands__I had 'em and did 'em. It was not fun but they are done. Yippee!
I talked with Sluggy just to check on her since she has not been feeling well. To be honest she did not sound great, but with meds and rest she should be good to go when it comes time for the cruise.
TheHub called and wanted to go out to eat. I never say no to that!

Have a great 49th week, finding your joys.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

p.s. I have been reading your blogs at night in bed and can't comment from the Kindle fire.


28 comments:

  1. It's great you could retrieve a memory in the form of a photo of the bridge. He must have talked about it a lot to her. It is funny the things that matter so many years later, especially if the thing no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like "big rock" which was a huge rock at the edge of the "woods" down from my grandmother's house. All of my cousins have tales to tell about being on "big rock".

      Delete
  2. This year has rocketed past hasn't it?
    Love your week, packed with family joys. Reading never goes astray either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure the year could have gone any quicker than it did.

      Delete
  3. Surely you miscounted the weeks? It can't be the start of week 49 already! Sounds like you had a wonderful week. I'm glad you got to enjoy the company of your Son3, DIL3, and their friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy their visit, but man, was there ever a ton of cooking!

      Delete
  4. I had to do a double take as well to week 49 begining. The gift sounds really sweet. I found a picture once of my husband, sister, and their dad from young childhood by their lake place and had larger prints made. It was well received. I love the post game chili party. That's what I love about family and friends, the everyday lovely moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the simplicity of being with family, and we do poke fun at each other and laugh a lot!

      Delete
  5. Week 49!? How is that even possible? I had a Big Rock in my childhood, and the memories are priceless. I grew up on a hill surrounded by relatives, and even at the young age of 5, my cousin and I were allowed to play in the woods at the Big Rock unsupervised. What freedom! What fun! It was certainly a different time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were obviously quite a creative bunch and collectively named the big rock Big Rock. It was a lot of fun to have the freedom to just play without adults hovering over us.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure those photos will be a hit with everyone. I'm getting an old film digitized from my husband's grandmother. Looking forward to seeing what's on it. No one knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several reels of old film I am going to have digitized. According to the owner of Image Hive I will be paying much more, but we either pay it or lose them forever.

      Delete
  7. I live for those kinds of Tuesdays. And kudos to the son who collected the towels. Although it's a small thing, it's a way to show gratitude, which is immeasurably important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the small gratitude. It was tremendously helpful.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure what happened to this year - it certainly has raced by.
    My goodness, transferring the slides to photos was expensive. I'm sure the gift will be a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was costly but there was nothing to do but get it done. I think it is such a sweet gift for her to want to give him.

      Delete
  9. I love that you were able to find the film & convert it to photos. It's expensive, but the memories are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are and it is a unique gift to give someone who really wants nothing.

      Delete
  10. This year has flown by. I can't believe 2023 will be here in 4 weeks. Yikes! Memories are priceless so good for you helping your dil with the gift. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet!!! My cousins and I used to walk down to the pond of family property. Good memories! I am still a south Appalachian hillbilly at heart, and there is no place like home. The southern part of the state, where I live and work part time, will never be “home” to me. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a boatload of first cousins (there were 23 of us) and all my earliest memories are of being around all of them.

      Delete
  12. this year has flown and it hasn't been a particularly good one. Here's hoping 2023 is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad everyone could be together. All that clean-up and putting-back-together-again's almost worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your son was very thoughtful to bring the towels down to be washed. You raised him right! That was a good idea for him to wash his clothes before he left, so he had clean clothes when he got home. I’m like you with laundry and company. I stripped my bed before and after our company last weekend and I am so over laundry at this point. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand fully. I love having guests but don't love the laundry.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.