Translate

Monday, March 13, 2023

A Tragic Tale Of Woe. . .

 . . .Or what I learned after defrosting my freezer

I had a relatively small issue with my freezer that became a larger issue because of the excessive frost that built up. After defrosting it and soaking up what would have been a small lake if I had not continually thrown towels on the floor to keep the water from spreading, I thought I would share some observations I made, that might help me be a little better freezer owner.
On the positive side, I caught the first accident before any of the food was rotten. That would have been so much worse.



1. Always keep a freezer inventory.
   It is too easy to buy something for the freezer, put it in then move what was already there to         the deepest recesses of the freezer shelf, where it becomes forgotten.  Now I have a dedicated food storage notebook, so I can see what I have to play with each week when I plan potential meals. And because I am me, and chronically scatterbrained, my notebook has a pen attached to it so I can write new additions as well as cross out things I used.

2. You can have too much of a good thing 
    I cite 12 cryovac  tuna steaks as an example

3. Individual servings of soups/stews/casseroles are a good thing
    Today I am enjoying a bowl of the old Scarsdale diet cabbage soup I didn't remember I had (see #1)

4. Individual servings of soups/ stews etc. should be packed flat in freezer bags
    Those little individual freezer containers take up too much space. Flat bags stack.

5. Label everything not in the original packaging
    That one serving of chili, looks just like the one serving of spaghetti sauce and if the wrong     one is used in a tamale pie, dinner can become very interesting. Trust the label rather than your memory.

6. Whether you have a chest or upright freezer, organize it by food types.
     I have plastic baskets on the shelves. Red hold beef, blue holds chicken, white holds pork (because it's the other white meat), and aqua is for fish and seafood. I also have baskets on a different shelf for foods that are cooked, or near ready to eat. Vegetables are in a huge drawer, and fruits and bread stuffs occupy the top shelf. That leaves one shelf as a miscellaneous one with stocks, broths, sauces, and large items that need a temporary home.

7. Only keep things that can survive an unexpected thaw on the freezer door shelves
    Since the interior door shelves are the first place to become warm, pay attention. Now my shelves only hold flours, grains, nuts, butter, and hard cheeses.

8. A stand alone freezer should not be opened too much.
    Store often used items in the freezer attached to the refrigerator to keep the other from being a browsing spot. It uses more energy, plus the frost increases with repeated opening and closings.

9. Use your freezer inventory list to plan meals for the week. 
    Now that I know exactly what is in the freezer and where it is, I can decide what I am going to use for the week, get it all out one time and either put things in the fridge to thaw, or move them to the refrigerator freezer to use later in the week.

10. If possible store all freezer bags, foodsaver if you have one, freezer containers, a funnel, and a sharpie (see #5) together. 
      My freezer bags are all in one spot along with a sharpie. I do have a food saver that lives somewhere else and I often forget about it unless I have bought large quantities of meats or fish. I have to go on a wild goose chase every time I need the funnel. That is about to change (As soon as I remember where I put it)

11. Make a note on whatever type of calendar you use of the date for the last defrosting.  
      Son1's family is going to be in town by mid June. I will make it a point to see if a mini defrosting needs to be done before they get here, but will definitely be doing a major one in August. Twice a year should be plenty, especially since I moved all the things TheHub likes to snack on to the refrigerator freezer.

12. A generator could be the only thing between losing the entire contents and keeping the freezer going in a major power outage. 
      This is not something I learned, but after reading the blogs of some folks who lost everything after their power was off for a few days, I needed to be reminded. Several years ago I lost the contents 2 different times due to storms and loss of power. I bought a portable generator that is still in the box and has never been used. We need to get it out and ready to use, just in case. 

And now that I know what I have in the freezer and where to find it, I am going to celebrate National Pi(e) Day. I have some slices of keto coconut pie in the freezer, and one of them has my name on it.






34 comments:

  1. "Organise by food types"
    You mean it doesn't make sense to just shuffle everything around until you can make a space for the third unneccessary tub of ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yes, and it only took me until I was yesterday old to figure it out

      Delete
  2. I love your freezer tips! I only have the freezer that comes with the fridge (a side-by-side). I organized it in January and did a freezer inventory but, the very next time I had something to add to the freezer, I had to shove the stuff where there was space! Now, my inventory is out of date and the freezer is disorganized! Luckily for me, it is a frost free freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine in the fridge freezer combo is frost free but the big freezer obviously is not. I intentionally bought it because the temperature stays at a more constant temp for longer food storage than a frost free which has to warm a bit to keep the frost down.

      Delete
  3. These are really great tips! I do the bin's also and they really do make a huge difference. It is going to be so much easier to meal plan now that you have an inventory list. Enjoy your pi(e)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be easier now that I have the list. And I will enjoy that pie!

      Delete
  4. Great tips summarized here. It sounds like you have an upright freezer. My parents had one like that and I think they are a bit easier to see what you have and organize than a chest freezer like I have. But it is important to keep an inventory and label of whatever you have in whatever style of freezer you have. One of my friends lost everything in her freezer one year when she was without power, so she cans most things now instead of freezing them. She never wants to lose the amount of work it took to grow and freeze everything again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have an upright. Years and years ago I had a chest freezer on rollers and when it came time to defrost I just emptied it, rolled it to the garage door or basement door (depending on which house we lived in at the time), attached a hose to a connection at the bottom of the freezer and ran the melted frost down the driveway or into the back yard. The upright is a commercial unit and does not roll. Bad move on my part!
      I bought and electric pressure canner that is still in the box, but I intend to can this year for that very reason.

      Delete
  5. I like the color coded bins. My daughter uses bins in her chest freezer but they are all the same color. I'll suggest a change to her.
    I've been using only the fridge freezer for a few years now...and I still lose things in it. My problem is proper labeling. I've had to switch meal ideas when the chili turns out to be spaghetti sauce. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am somewhat focus challenged and need a simple system. The color coded works best for me as long as I actually put chicken in the chicken bin and so on.

      Delete
  6. I only have the top portion of my fridge as a freezer. I keep the most important thing, ice cream and ice cream bars there. 😂. I do have butter and some frozen ground beef, shrimp, figs and mulberries (from my trees).
    Also, a pizza……Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you know what the most important food group (ice cream) is!

      Delete
  7. These are great freezer tips, Anne. Having a written inventory of what you have in the freezer is definitely the way to make meal planning easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so many things that had gotten pushed back then caked with frost that I had no idea what was in there. I hope the list will help me.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Getting organized is the easy part. The true test will be if I stay organized, because it is not in my nature .

      Delete
  9. Amen sister - wise minds and all that!!!!! After defrosting both my freezers last week I now have the contents typed up in a Word document so I can add and delete as needs be. Same goes for labelling everything!!!!! I pulled out what I thought was a bag of stewing meat the other week - and which turned out to be black grapes!!!!! And yep, I've got the generator too and while it is assembled and I have the petrol for it, I'll be buggered if I know how to use it. I'll have to get on that next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a container of roasted Brussels sprouts was cherries and warmed them to go over ice cream for TheHub. I just hope I take heed to my plan and keep up with everything, but for me the central most critical is labeling.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha! Brussels sprouts and ice cream! Love it!

      Delete
  10. Yikes! I don't have a stand-alone freezer, but the idea of color-coding is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need the simplest solutions and this is what works for me.

      Delete
  11. Knowing and doing are two different things! I have a mind for organization, but a mind that is in a hurry. I have the bins but now need for the cleaner to help. I thought I was smart enough to remember a thing or two without labeling. Well, that was when I first got the upright. Then chaos reigned. Everything is now labeled. The cleaner will have to help or this will not get done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are such great ideas if only someone would come and prepare the lists for me:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to have TheHub when I was doing the inventory part

      Delete
  13. I have an upright, frost- free freezer. Shortly before this build was complete, a kid in our old house didn't check to make sure the freezer door was closed all the way. I noticed because I saw purple liquid on the garage floor from the blackberries I had in bags on the door. I confess to being less than conservative in tossing things after that, since our move was so near. All the fish went, as did pretty much anything with more than 1/4" thawing, which wasn't much, fortunately. I tossed the berries too. So now, whenever ANYONE goes to the freezer, they get "Make sure the door is fully closed." I also check whenever I am in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the not so subtle "reminder" to shut the door. I am pretty sure every time TheHub or I open the door I will check behind us.

      Delete
  14. I've tried so many freezer options for inventory, management, organization. I just finished a major "clean out" of the freezer, and by that I mean trying to use up everything in it. 1) I do like to have things on hand, but "hard to use" items tend to build up. 2) I like to make a list and work on getting those out of the freezer. 3) I also like to have prepped meals, but I keep them organized, all on the same side of the freezer. No digging through the entire freezer to find the meal I know I've prepped. 4) Only buy & freeze items we will really use. Sometimes, the freezer becomes the place where we put things we're not sure how to use up, which is not a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have two frost free and one smaller upright I have to occasionally defrost...it's a pain!
    Hello! New here but I enjoyed the post!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Almost all of mine is single use. I should use bags but I prefer the round ziploc containers with rhe screw tops that hold 2 cups. I use ziploc for sandwiches and baked goods. Organization is not my middle name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like sing the containers but the space use is so much less efficient, so for me I need flat bags

      Delete
  17. So sorry for the issue you had. Thank you for your advice, it is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.