Translate

Monday, March 6, 2023

Intentions? Hah!

Several months ago TheHub left the door to the freezer slightly ajar overnight and I read him the riot act telling him he was going to have to help me with the defrosting, since the open door caused the freezer to work overtime and formed a huge layer of frost.
Monday as I was going to look in the freezer and pull out some things for a couple of meals, I noticed the door was ajar. I was all ready to jump all over him when I realized I had been the last one in the freezer and had left the veggie drawer out just a little too far for a complete seal. Sadly the things on the door shelves  thawed. What I planned on using from the freezer changed drastically and the meals we ate at the beginning of the week  reflect the unplanned thawing, and then what happens when things change.



What I planned on using prior to the freezer incident:
brussels sprouts
keto bread
ground chuck
salmon filets
cauliflower rice
Mexican pot roast
duck breast 
keto "cornbread"
marinara sauce
chicken breast
asparagus

Monday: TheHub's office goes fishing in the gulf a few times a year. The rule is: they divvy up the spoils regardless of who caught what. The last time they went, TheHub left early and got whatever no one else wanted. I have no idea what the fish that thawed was, but it was a white fish with grey skin. I figured the fish needed to be eaten before anything else that had thawed.
Seared Fish potato pancakes, artichoke strudel, tossed salad, tea

Tuesday: There was a pack of 4 previously grilled hamburger patties that thawed. 2 turned into Tuesday's dinner
Grilled hamburger patty new potatoes, coleslaw, tea

Wednesday:  We planned to watch the Alabama/Auburn basketball game, which meant a ballgame meal. Remaining 2 burger patties to the rescue.
Hamburger, French fries and onion rings (both air fryer fried)

Thursday: I felt rotten and TheHub stopped and picked up some hot and sour soup for us, but I did not eat but a couple of bites of mine and did not even try the dumplings.
Hot and sour soup, steamed dumplings

Friday: After a very unplanned turn of events we stopped on the way home and TheHub ran in the store for some chicken broth, chocolate ice cream, and a deli meal.
Broth and ice cream for me, deli catfish meal for him

Saturday: The day was gorgeous and I felt so much better, but eating was still a little difficult.
Soup for both of us (leftover hot and sour for me and chicken noodle for TheHub), fresh pineapple for TheHub, strawberries and cream

Sunday: The day was just drop dead gorgeous and I felt well enough to try eating a little real food. Well, soft real food anyway.
Mac and cheese, overly cooked broccoli.

What I used from the freezer
Unknown variety of white fish
4 formerly grilled hamburger patties
artichoke strudel
frozen French fries
Mexican pot roast (used for a couple of lunch meals)

What I had to toss after the freezer incident (bummer)
duck breast (it had been thawed since Monday freezer incident and did not get used in time)
small pack of ground chuck (ditto)
small carton Rebel ice cream (it was soup when I found it)
small pack of strawberries

What's next?
Who knows? I will continue to try and use stuff from the freezer, and stay out of trouble as much as possible.

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.



28 comments:

  1. It's good to know someone else has experienced the freezer door oops! I'm always convinced we're the only ones who do such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a stupid error, but it happens sometimes.

      Delete
  2. I hate to find the freezer door open and frost everywhere! I now use clear packing tape on the freezer door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my fault for not pushing the veggie basket in fully.

      Delete
  3. A little wasted food is ok under the circumstances. At least you didn't lose the whole freezer full of food! Hope you are continuing to feel better. That was such a medical scare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly hated tossing the duck breast, but such is life.

      Delete
  4. It has happened to me too :-//// It was a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no. i hate wasting food so i'd feel really bad - which i have done in the past as we all make these mistakes. I've heard of the power going out for a few hours and people losing the whole freezer and fridge contents. Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good saves on the thawed food. Glad that you didn't have more to contend with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You saved what you could so good job on that. Things happen. I hate to waste food too. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated the waste, but so many worse things could have happened.

      Delete
  8. Sorry about the freezer issue. It's so frustrating when that happens! Sounds like you did a good job using as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used what I could and the rest__it is what it is!

      Delete
  9. At least you were able to salvage some of the items. Once a friend was watching my place while the kids and I were away for a week - we came home to a completely defrosted small chest freezer. How she didn't smell it when she came in is beyond me but it was a total loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lost my entire freezer before but it was when we had protracted power outages. This was just stupidity on my part.

      Delete
  10. Drats! I always dread the day I go out and my freezer has quit working! I am sorry you were not feeling well. But really I would have just thrown away the duck breast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated to lose the duck because we love it. My biggest takeaway is to keep nothing but butter and flours and meals on the freezer door

      Delete
  11. So sorry that happened to you. Time to put a Big Note on the freezer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! What a mess! glad you were able to rescue some of it and use it so it didn't all go to waste. Wow! I think you are very creative with your meals! I am sorry you ended up not feeling well...I hope it wasn't something you ate! Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've had a rough run with illness of late and if you must be ill, ice cream and broth are nice to have.
    Rats about the door being open. So far i have always managed to catch that situation before it got too bad but one day I wont

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just glad I found it when I did. I hate tossing food but I would realklky hate tossing the entire freezer

      Delete
  14. I feel your pain after losing freezer food to a storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a bummer but at least I did not lose too much

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.