Translate

Monday, March 13, 2023

What's For DInner?

I had no plans for meals going into the week and had no idea what I would be using from the freezer.
I just knew I wanted us to consume some of it before the big defrost day. I always dread defrosting it unless it is in the middle of the summer because it is a soggy, cold job.




Monday: I found a frozen flatbread pizza that was at the front of the bottom shelf and decided it needed to be used sooner rather than later. 
Frozen flatbread veggie pizza, tossed salad

Tuesday: It was too beautiful to cook inside. Fire up that grill!
Grilled tuna steaks, broccoli, saffron rice or keto cornbread

Wednesday: A trip to the freezer and a beautiful head of cabbage in the fridge was the genesis for our dinner.
Conecuh sausage, cabbage, dinner rolls or keto cornbread 

Thursday: I was so busy pampering myself, I forgot to even think about dinner. This is when I am very thankful I sometimes brown ground chuck and onions to freeze, and I still have a lot of bell peppers from our garden that I froze in strips.
Weird Mexicanish dish over pasta or caulirice, tossed salad

Friday: We often run to a little place not far from us when we want to go out to eat, but don't feel like getting all gussied up.
Wedge salad or flatbreads

Saturday: TheHub and I generally share one steak, and I had thawed one earlier in the day. Rain was predicted but not until later than we were going to eat. I had just gotten the steaks off the grill when it started. Talk about luck!
Steak, tossed salad, baked potato or no potato

Sunday: BecauseI know how long it takes to defrost and repack the freezer, I stuck our dinner in the crockpot right before the ballgame we were going to watch came on.
Crack chicken over toast or caulirice, green beans

What I actually used from the freezer
flatbead pizza
2 tuna steaks
small pack conecuh sausage
small pack browned ground chuck w/ onions
1 steak
2 chicken breasts
small pack green beans
small pack sliced bell peppers

What's up for this week
 4 uncooked burger patties  (thawed during the defrost process)
pack of green beans (ditto)
some unidentified protein I packed nicely but did not label (ditto)
pack of diced cooked chicken (ditto)

Other than that, I have no clue what we will be having but I will be using the freezer and pantry as my primary shopping source.

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all!


16 comments:

  1. You are doing great at using everything up and your meals sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about the big defrost is seeing exactly what I have there (too much) to plan some meals (lots of meals) around it.

      Delete
  2. I need to do another defrost, but now that I have a frostless freezer, I get complacent. Saturday we had a wonderful beef tenderloin roast. Last night we had Wagyu beef franks. Tonight we will have cottage pie made with the leftover tenderloin, carrots and potatoes. Tuesday a kid asked to cook some beef tenderloin steaks outside if the rain holds off. If not, I'll do them on my cooktop. (Oh, yeah, there was a sale on beef tenderloins at the local store, and they are t-e-n-d-e-r.) Not sure what we will have Wednesday and Thursday, but Friday will see us with a corned beef and cabbage slow cooked in a Guinness, and Guinness cake for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to buy a whole tenderloin and have the butcher cut it into steak size portions. I have not seen it on a really good sale here in quite a long time though.
      How do you make the Guinness cake?

      Delete
    2. Anne, this is the recipe I use, BUT, I use my 3 quart saucepan, NOT a small one. Also, whisk, don't beat, or your cake will sink in the middle. Finally, as I loathe cream cheese frosting, I use a butter roux frosting on this cake. (Plus, cream cheese frosting, imo, doesn't pair well with the flavor or this cake--it's not a really sweet cake.)
      https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-guinness-cake/

      Delete
  3. Hey good for you. I am still trying see what my freezer holds. Still have turkey I need to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a ridiculous amount of food in the freezer, but at east I know what is in there.

      Delete
  4. Good for you on the self care! Because I never mastered the art of 'dressing' my nails, if I try to do it myself I wind up looking like someone in a Jamie Lee slasher flick.
    You always make my mouth water and now there's a pound of Conecuh in the fridge calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Conecuh and have about 5 pounds in the freezer. It is a mainstay at our house. Have you ever made biscuits with chopped conecuh in the dough? So good!

      Delete
  5. My freezer is not as well stocked as yours, but I haven't done an inventory recently. I guess I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still planning on using as much from the freezer as possible, especially now that I know every single thing that is in it.

      Delete
  6. I was just visiting r's Rue Blog. And saw your reply to one of her posts...
    I just wanted to tell you I enjoyed reading it...and Knew that I needed to visit your blog..

    In my household...My husband is the cook... (Believe it or not) He loves to cook!) Me not so much! But he is doing what your are doing right now. trying to use up things that are In the freezer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welome Jill! I hope you will come back again!
      TheHub is wonderful procurer of food, but if I had to count on him doing the cooking we would eat eggs, grits and canned soup

      Delete
  7. I would love some steak! Burger patties for my husband :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were at Costco and they had steaks at a really good price so we bought 6 and froze them. Since we always share one it will be 6 meals for us.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.