Translate

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Well That Was Not Planned

Wow, week nine has come and gone. I am unsure how fast the time flies.  
This week was a slow week that took a strange turn but then righted itself. Want to make God laugh? Make a plan! 'Nuff said.


 Sunday:
I was very tired from the previous week, and skipped church to catch up on some most needed and neglected sleep.We had a day at home and neither of us went anywhere which is very rare for us. 
We did watch Alabama's softball game. If I am completely honest I had much rather watch the women's softball than the men's baseball games. Softball is fast paced with a lot of hitting. Baseball is just a long drawn out process to me.
Later that night we watched 1923. I have been drawn in completely to the Yellowstone world.

Monday: The day was similar to Sunday and I had planned for a nothing day. This Old Gray Mare ain't what she used to be and I am finding physical recovery time takes a little (much) longer.
 Unfortunately when I went into the laundry room to start the first load of clothes for the day (which would have been the 4 sets of sheets from the previous weeks house guest),  I noticed water on the floor in front of the freezer. I went into immediate panic mode thinking the freezer had died with all of that food inventory in it. It turned out that when I (then guilty party) had been seeing what I was going to use from the freezer this week, had not pushed the frozen veggie drawer in tight enough and once I closed the door, it popped open very slightly. My joy is that only the things in the shelves on the door and a bag of strawberries on the top shelf thawed. It would change our meals for the week but that was fine. Not what I really wanted for meals, but still fine.

Tuesday: I had decided Tuesday would be a day to straighten my house. It was in kind of rough shape after the week before. To me there is not a lot of joy in housework, because it is something I do not like to do, and I am a master of procrastination. But I did it anyway and have to admit there is a certain joy seeing the house cleaned.

Wednesday: I finally went back to my Wednesday class. I have missed going but had other things that took precedent .  It was really good to be back, and I should be able to go to the rest of them this year. 
After class I got a lot of shopping (cherry picking) done, went to the post office, then took care of a little other business that needed attention.
Pot dinner TheHub and I started a new to us series Hulu is carrying, "Justified". It is not a great series, the story lines are unbelievable, the episodes are pretty short, but it has some wonderful one liners that makes watching it fun.

Thursday: I woke to a dreary day, but had a couple of errands I needed to do anyway.  I kept thinking to myself that I should just wait until the next day when the weather was supposed to be better. For some reason in spite of my usual procrastination I went ahead and did them. It turned out to be a very smart move on my part. As the day progressed I started feeling a bit under the weather, then not great at all. I was swollen  from my ear, under my neck to the far side of my chin. My joy? That I had taken care of necessary business at the beginning of the day.

Friday: I woke TeHub at 4:30 and told him I needed to go to the emergency room. I was having trouble sucking air in and could not swallow. We went to UAB emergency room on 150 and after a round of steroids and a CAT scan it was decided I needed to go to UAB (the real hospital) to be seen by their ENT team. It seems the swelling was as bad internally as it was externally and had my larynx compressed to the size of a drinking straw. 
At 7 am, prime rush hour traffic I was transported via ambulance downtown. I had asked them if they could leave off the sirens, but they very politely told me we needed to get there quickly. 
Long story shortened, I had more steroids, major antibiotics and a baby surgery, before being released at about 5 to go home.
I suppose my biggest joy was that I actually listened to my body and went when I needed to, because my aim was to just wait and go to the regular doc at 8.  Of course breathing is pretty necessary and it is hard to ignore not being able to take an unimpeded breath.
On the way home we went to pick up my scripts, and to buy some seriously soft food ( chicken broth and ice cream). Though I was giving up sweets for Lent, Son3 told me if I scoured Leviticus he was pretty sure I could find some  law that might excuse my lapse. I took him at his word!
TheHub was also kind enough to stop by Starbucks to grab me a flat white. I had not even had as much as a cup of water since about 9 the night before when swallowing became so difficult, and needed a caffeine fix.  I normally am a black coffee drinker but thought the other might be a little kinder to my empty stomach.

Saturday: I woke at about 6 and felt like a different human being. The swelling was down to only about a 4th of what it had been, nothing hurt, I had unrestricted air, and could mostly swallow. That first cup of coffee was one of the best I have ever had. 
I had to eat breakfast, so I could take some of the heavy ammunition they prescribed for me which is not my preferred way to start my day, and to be honest the cheerios were still a little hard to get down so I waited until they were seriously soggy and then it worked fine.
After drugging up and showering I felt even better: good enough to put on makeup, moderately cute clothes and ride with TheHub to Son2's new to them house. We still had a lot of things from the lake place that we will never use again and since his new home is on a lake it just makes sense that he gets it. 
So we loaded up fishing tackle, poles, seining nets, and an outdoor rocking chair to take to them. (Someone from TheHub's office came by our house while I was at the hospital with a company truck and took the fishing kayak to them in exchange for a couple of day fishing later on.)
Win/win! I get stuff out of my house and he gets stuff he can use for years to come, and we had a drop dead gorgeous day to go to his lovely (soon to be lovely, once he finishes the remodel) new home.

*If anyone needs an emergency room in the Birmingham area, I can't recommend this one highly enough. It is fully staffed with access to all machinery and equipment found in a traditional hospital attached emergency room. I was the only patient there and received so much attention, plus I did not have to wait for the CAT scan, the lab work was done quickly, and the radiologist read it within 20 minutes.  

27 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a serious curve ball thrown your way. I'm glad you got medical attention and are on the mend. That was scary, I'm sure. Luckily you had good care. My best friend lives in Birmingham and has told me how great UAB is. I hope this week is a better week for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was better Saturday and even better today. I look almost normal and feel great.

      Delete
  2. That sounds super scary. I'm really glad you were seen quickly & paid attention to your body. Very happy for you that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt better shortly after the procedure was over.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you are ok and yes, UAB is top notch. I will take your recommendation on the UAB ER on 150. Wow though, on how fast the infection progressed! Yikes! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The emergency room on 150 was great. The care at UAB downtown was great, but that emergency room is another world of experiences. Though I could not see anything except for the ongoing gurney admittances, because they keep all of the room doors wide open, I was unable to do anything but be and auditory voyeur. Not what I wanted to listen to!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I think it is amusing that you don't think Justified is believable-if you are talking about the Timothy Oliphant series . I live in Eastern Kentucky and feel like I pretty much know every character in the series in person. It is very believable for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters I do find very believable, it is just the story line that I find contrived.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry you had to experience that, but grateful for the care you received. Keep taking care of yourself, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very sudden thing that was over with shortly after it began, but did have about 2 hours of very concerning moments.

      Delete
  6. That was so scary Anne. So glad you listened to your body and everything turned out okay.Hope this week is much less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was definitely a frightening episode for you and your husband. I'm so glad you were seen quickly and the issue was speedily resolved. I hope it never occurs again.
    Do take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cause has a chance of recurring, but at least I know what it is and the ENT can keep a check on it

      Delete
  8. How upsetting that experience must have been to you, and husband as well. I hope you are now fully recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That experience sounds scary. Was this anaphylaxis or an infection? I am glad you got prompt care. Maybe the emergency in the middle of the night worked out better for getting immediate help. This must have been frightening for both of you. I am glad you have recovered. And, it is nice to know about 150 ER. I will make sure Tommy knows this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a large stone in my salivary glad (who knew that was even a possibility) which stopped the salivary ducts from beneath my tongue, and backed massive amounts of fluids beneath my chin, up the side of my face and right at the underside of my ear, then moved inward swelling everything in the left side of my lower face and neck. It was removed, I am fine and the 2 new holes beneath my tongue are only irritating if I try to eat anything other than soft bland stuff (or ice cream)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that explanation. I had a problem with salivary glands once and it was painful. Thankfully, my problem did not progress to your level. Did you find out what caused this problem? Thankfully, you got help.

      Delete
  10. Oh, my goodness, Anne! How scary! So glad that you were able to receive such good and prompt medical attention! So glad that you are feeling better and I hope you continue to recover without any further complications. Never heard of stones in the salivary gland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either Bless, and now I understand I have a couple of very tiny ones in a different gland, but since I know they are there I can be vigilant about watching for any signs of growth, and do as much as possible to help them dislodge while they are still very, very small.

      Delete
  11. I've never heard of salivary stones before, either. That was a very scary episode, but I'm glad you are on the other side of it and healing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise to me because I had never heard of them either, but I am glad it is over.

      Delete
  12. Gosh golly, you've painted a terrifying scenario. Thank goodness you're near one of the Best Medical Facilities in the country! Enjoy that ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I told TheHub we needed to go to the emergency room, I told him if my throat closed entirely we needed to be somewhere where someone knew how to do a trach, because I did not want us to have to do one with a steak knife and a ball point pen (like I had seen in a movie before). Some people just don't appreciate sarcasm when they are driving like a bat out of hell to get you to the ER.

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness, how frightening!! I'm so glad you didn't play the ostrich and try to tough it out. As you say, breathing is kinda necessary isn't it. Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did surprise myself by wanting to go, because I am an ostrich by nature. I usually have a Monty Python "It's only a flash wound" kind of reaction.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.