Translate

Sunday, March 12, 2023

Joy Happens If You Let It

Again I had a week filled with the ordinary, which can feel extraordinary if viewed through the right lens. 
Like most weeks it had its glitches, but overall was an enjoyable week. I'm sure I could  have accomplished more, but I was actually content with some of the larger jobs I finished, plus I spent some time doing a little personal pampering which always feels good.  I am not a particularly girly female, but on occasion (rare occasion) I pull out all the stops to do a few things just for me. And I might add a little personal tending goes a long way after a winter of neglect.




Sunday: We started the morning going to church, came home for  quick lunch before watching Alabama's softball game. We had a relaxing day, managed to do a little yard work, then settled in for the evening with an episode of Justified, a simple dinner followed by finally booking our flights to Palm Springs. We are meeting the most beautiful girl in our world and her parents there for her spring break. Can't wait!

Monday: Not the day I had planned, but at least not everything in the freezer was lost. You take your joys where you get them, right?

Tuesday: The day was drop dead gorgeous, warm bordering on hot, As much as I hate to run the a/c in March, the great pollen dump requires no open windows for a couple of weeks, and inside the house was hot, so I yielded to temptation and turned that sucker on. So much for my previously hard and fast rule about not turning it on until the first of May. I am seriously glad we have it so I could break my rule.
Right at dark, the day was still gorgeous and pretty much demanded we cook something on the grill. I saw no reason not to act on the day's demands.

Wednesday: I woke terribly early with plenty of time for an early breakfast  and some reading time before I headed to my class. Ugh, I really don't like breakfast but the heavy meds I am taking right now demands it. Not a fan.
I had a small shopping list for a quick stop at Publix on the way home and I ran into T (known him  for over 30 years) and caught up with things going on in his life. Then ran into K. and had a wonderful mid aisle conversation with her. I had not seen her since before the covid quarantine and we had a lot to catch up on. ( And no, we did not block the aisle and were very conscious of the 2 other people who shopped the aisle where we were yakking) 
It seems the azaleas popped out overnight. The bushes are not filled with blooms like normal. I imagine the days of the deep freeze during such an otherwise mild winter took its toll, but the blooming ones are still very pretty.

Thursday: I did not do much, but had a conversation with Sluggy, which is always wonderful. I will be so glad for her when her protracted after care of her leg injury is over.
Meanwhile I changed over most of my cold weather duds (OK I know for most of you, our cold weather is more like your early spring) and replaced them with most of my warm (hot really) weather clothes. Like most years as soon as I do it, the weather cools down and I am left wondering what to wear. '
While I was changing the clothes I also did a closet rearrangement and found not 1, but 6 pairs of shoes I have worn only once or twice that just got shoved to the back of the closet and forgotten.  No more!
After changing over the clothes, I had a few hours of doing personal care/pampering. A facial, manicure, pedicure, and generic lotions and potions made a huge difference physically and in my attitude
The biggest joy for the day was an intense rain which washed away a boatload of the pollen.

Friday: The sun was back and everything looked so clean and green, until about midday when all the blooming stuff decided we needed another coat of pollen. I know it is a necessary and yearly occurrence, but it would be nice to spread the dump over a few weeks instead of hitting all at once.
My Beloved Sister had been sick with the same type of virus I had a few weeks ago and I had not seen her since a few days before she started feeling lousy. She was feeling so much better and came by the house for a while. It was great tolaugh with her
TheHub came home from work earlier than normal and we took off to run a few errands then went to our favorite little local joint for dinner.

Saturday: We woke to a gorgeous day, ate, read, then dressed and took off to refresh TheHub's wardrobe. I think he is still wearing the same shorts he wore when our older kids were young. They were way too old, worn, and so out of fashion it is pitiful. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fashionista and keep my duds a long time also, but these were really bad. 
So, we headed to Duluth Trading and now he is the proud owner of 3 new pairs of shorts and 4 new untuckable shirts. It was a much needed update, just in time for the upcoming Palm Springs trip.
We ran a couple of  errands before getting back to the house to watch Alabama play basketball, did some minor cores around the house and ended the afternoon going antiquing.
We spent the evening after dinner  watching "Justified". We are finished the 1st season and will probably take a break before we start the next one.

Look for your joys and you will always find them. Large or small, they are out there!

May all your weeds be wildflowers,
Anne




20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good week to me! Sunday is my mani, pedi, facial day and I look forward to it every week. It helps me face another work week. I remember living in Florida and the great pollen dump. I had a black car and the yellow pollen was unbelievable. Wishing you another great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some rain yesterday which washed a good bit of the pollen away, but by midday the pool cover was coated with this nice yellow coating.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like this week turned out much better than last week for you. We haven't had our great pollen dump yet, but it will come. However, some things are starting to bloom earlier than normal because of our mild winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a better week than last week! I am ready for the pollen to be gone.

      Delete
  3. I had to laugh at your comment "a little personal tending...after a long winter of neglect". I resemble that remark.
    You had a good week despite the freezer mishap, and the need to eat breakfast. Glad you had some time with your sister, and I'm excited to hear you'll be taking a trip to see your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter means no sandals, no bare legs, so no personal care needed__until it warms up and I realize that time calls for immediate action.

      Delete
  4. Awesome that your week turned out great, Anne, and you had some time pampering yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely week and you managed to find your joys each and every day! :) A little personal tending goes a long way, doesn't it? Enjoy Palm Springs when you get there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The upcoming Palm Springs trip sounds fabulous! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be with my granddaughter, so it will be fabulous no matter where I would be going.

      Delete
  7. This last week was beautiful and actually hot some days. I was thrilled with the azaleas, too. I will have to clean my car windows to even be able to drive to the car wash. I have to wear a mask to even get safely to the car! I look at my toes and bemoan the fact my podiatrist cancelled all her appointments. I do need foot care. Palm Springs should be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to Palm Springs and am really looking forward to the trip, but mainly to have time with Pip.

      Delete
  8. I will never forget moving few miles from you--- looking out one morning from 2nd fllor of temporary apartment and wondering what the heck was all that stuff on every car! Pollen!
    Now we are north of you but have not escaped that load of pollen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does hit fast and hard here, but we have had several rain showers which has helped considerably

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy for you you'll see your son's family and your granddaughter. I bet your hubs will be quite dapper on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am laughing at the word dapper being applied to TheHub. I am just glad he updated his clothes a little. He has a wardrobe filled with very nice looking work outfits, but his casual wardrobe was really bad.

      Delete
  10. How fun that you are going to Palm Springs to see your granddaughter (and, the rest of the family, of course :-)). I also went shopping this weekend, in anticipation of Dubai. I'm really not a shopper, so this was quite an event for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you will have a nice visit and I think it is wonderful that you respect the customs there. Shopping is not a fun pastime for me either.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.