Translate

Monday, November 13, 2023

Almost No Cooking

The past week was an odd week. TheHub was out a couple of nights and we had our traditional eat out or take out planned for the week, plus I had some cooked and frozen things in the freezer. As a result there was virtually no cooking done, unless you count throwing steaks and burgers on an iron skillet cooking. (I don't) Everything else was either nuked, stuck in the air fryer, or eaten cold. It was an all around weird meal prep week.

I could not think of a song that reflected a weird week, so I went with my favorite song with a weird time signature. "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck written and played in 5/4 time.




Original plans for the week:
Copycat Chik_fil_A sandwiches, green vegetable of some sort
TheHub has a dinner meeting, so who knows? Leftovers or cracker and cheese maybe 
TheHub has a second dinner meeting so who knows again? Cereal or popcorn maybe
Grilled tuna steaks, tossed salad, baked potatoes
Hamburger patty, coleslaw, rice, green beans
Chicken (grilled or roasted, not sure yet) ,salad, asparagus
Soup and sandwich meal TBD

What really happened with the above plans:
Monday: If any of you can find the Red Bag Chicken at Aldi, then you know what I mean about Chik-fil-A knockoffs.
Copycat chicken pimento sandwiches, coleslaw

Tuesday:
TheHub's dinner meeting turned out to be just a drink and hors d' oeuvres. He called on his way home and wanted to know what was available for dinner?  If it was planned that I was not going to cook, he had to take what he could get.
Fried bologna sandwich

Wednesday:
I was looking through the freezer for tuna steaks when I found this beef alternative.
Strip steak, tossed salad

Thursday:
TheHub's dinner meeting began at 5, and he was on his way home before I had eaten anything. He brought his doggie bag to me.
"Nothing like your mother ever made" gussied up meatloaf, I would never have called it meatloaf, but it was delicious, haricot vert (You know it is a tonier joint when they don't call them green beans. I guess the addition of shallots and duck fat was the difference)

Friday: Instead of going out to eat, we did takeout but neither of us wanted fast food. We drove to Fried Green Tomatoes to get something a little tastier.
Pork chop, steamed cabbage, green beans (me) chicken dumplings, steamed okra, field peas (TheHub)

Saturday: We spent the bulk of the day watching ball games and relocating things from our former media center. Neither of us wanted anything specific, so I started digging through the freezer. Everything but the coleslaw was there.
Leftover shredded pork, corn on the cob, coleslaw

Sunday: While I was looking for the pulled pork for dinner Saturday I happened on a couple of frozen Wahlburgers that could easily be cooked for Sunday's dinner
Burger with all the fixings 

Plans for the week, as always, subject to change:
Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad, garlic bread (?)
Chili, coleslaw, cornbread
Out to eat
TheHub has a dinner meeting so no plans
TheHub has another possible dinner meeting, no plans or if he cancels just a bowl of soup
Grilled tuna steak, baked potato, tossed salad
Vegetable soup, sandwich optional

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

24 comments:

  1. It sounds pretty good to me. And with three days in this coming week where you don't have to think about what to cook this week also looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works for me as long as there are no last minute changes in work dinners

      Delete
  2. I laughed out loud at the fried bologna sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tell me you're not going to be home for dinner then change things at the last minute, you take your chances.

      Delete
  3. I kind of winged it last week and it looks like this week is going to be the same. My cooking mojo is a bit out of whack. As long as we eat all is good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good thing The Hub loves him some fried bologna....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he does! He grew up with a mother who made him hot sandwiches. Quite different from the sandwiches I had as a kid.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good week to me! At least you had the bologna on hand! I've no cold cuts; it would have been a cheese sandwich at my house! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the only other option and I was not going to make a grilled cheese.

      Delete
  6. Probably not the place, but I like to ring this bell whenever I go by it: I can't copycat a Chick Fil-A, because I would never, ever step foot in one. Not one cent of my money will ever go to those bigots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough, but I am not sure how buying an Aldi product would benefit Chik Fil A

      Delete
    2. It doesn't, but if I ever serve a chicken sandwich, it sure isn't a Chick Fil-A copycat, since I can't copy something I have never had, and never will.

      Delete
  7. I am on a "Refrigerator Delight" kick, as my mom used to say. Meaning throw together things I find in the fridge and call it a day. My meal planning is always the first thing to go this time of year. Soon, though, we will be living on all things turkey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beef, pork, chicken, burger...you have been eating good though almost no cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not eat badly because I just about always have something I can pull out of the freezer to reheat and eat.

      Delete
  9. I often ask Tommy, "What is in the refrigerator that is cooked that you want to eat." It works every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to cook so much that I have leftovers unless I plan on them, but it does happen.

      Delete
  10. I haven't had a fried bologna sandwich in years. I used to love them with mustard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the way TheHub likes them. When I grew up if we had a sandwich meal they were always uncooked, because sandwich night meant Mom was not about to turn on any part of the stove.

      Delete
  11. Fried bologna sandwiches used to be my Dad's one and only meal he could cook. We loved it as kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not in my childhood wheelhouse, but over the decades I have learned to eat it.

      Delete
  12. Yep no real plan for me except we go to sushi once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post was a delightful exploration of the topic. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.