Translate

Monday, November 27, 2023

Good Things

This past week was a week of getting ready for Thanksgiving, and plans for moving forward to the Christmas season. Thankfully I had a little down time to ponder on so many things I take for granted that I am so grateful for,  including those of you who visit this silly little blog of mine.



Sunday: After going to church we made a bee line to the theater to see "To Kill A Mockingbird". I thoroughly enjoyed the play and thought the actor who played Tom Robinson was exceptional. The biggest joy was being able to see a quality production locally. I know being on a road tour is difficult for the actors, but I do appreciate their craft tremendously.

Monday: Went to Aldi with my beloved sister. We shopped a couple of other places before heading to my house for a late lunch.  Love being with her so we can laugh at everything. The ability to laugh is one of the purest joys I know of.

Tuesday: This was the Thanksgiving feast  day the participants of Independence Place hold for those who volunteer. My Beloved Sister and I went together (I got her hooked on volunteering there too. The happiness I found  was contagious and it has become her happy place as well.) After getting home from the feast, I headed out to the grocery store to buy whatever I was going to need for the long Thanksgiving weekend. I absolutely refuse to go to the grocery store Wednesday and never intend to grocery shop the day before a holiday.

Wednesday: TheHub came home early and we finally bought the gigantic tv. Thanks to Best Buy for online ordering and curbside pickup, so I could maintain my vow of going into zero stores the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
The biggest joy of the day was recruiting our neighbor ( a strapping college sophomore) to help us get it in the house. If nothing else I realize I have limits now.
His entire family is  wonderful, and we are so thankful to have them living across the street. Great neighbors are a gift!

Thursday: Thanksgiving day was spent at my cousins house surrounded by cousins, their kids and grandkids. It was a lovely day, with countertops groaning with the weight of all the food that had been prepared and brought to share. We left overstuffed and happy to have spent time with family, which grows yearly including 2 babies added to the bunch.

Friday: Before Son3 and DIL 3 arrived from Nashville, I watched out my window as my neighbors got their Christmas outdoor decorations done  I will admit I was a little jealous and would have loved to get mine out. But we were still in Thanksgiving mode and I did have the entire downstairs all” falled “out. Instead of touches of Christmas, we enjoyed an abundance of food, hours of conversation and laughs, followed by a little football watching! 

Saturday: I woke and immediately began cooking because Saturday was the biggest football game of the year if you live in Alabama. It was the annual "Iron Bowl", the in state rivalry game between Alabama and Auburn.The game was in Auburn this year so TheHub did not have tickets for it. Instead we watched it on the new big ass tv with DIL3, DIL2, Son2 and Son3.  A tv game with extra folks means lots of snacking instead of a meal. We had a minor feast of finger foods., 
I have always made it very clear that I am an Alabama football fan, but I am still unsure how Bama managed to pull off that win.  Suffice it to say there was a lot of yelling going on in the last 45 seconds of the game. Blood pressures returned to normal about 15 minutes after game time.

Look for your joys, however small, they are always out there.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne



27 comments:

  1. Ya, that game had me corkscrewing myself into the ceiling. I'm getting too old for that sort of excitement. Thank goodness for red, red wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. There may have been a bit of imbibing after that game at my house. I am just glad the day was cooler and we had our windows shut so no one could hear us immediately after the "Catch"

      Delete
  2. That sounds like an excellent week. I am so glad (and unsurprised) that you convinced your sister to join you in your happy place. You are right about laughter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think laughter is the outward manifestation of joy.

      Delete
  3. A couple of my son's friends went to Alabama (from NY) as freshman this year, and man, do you guys take your football seriously! We were in Italy and his friend's dad was wearing an Alabama hat - a man yelled across the airport 'Roll Tide'! A cultural phenomenon for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game Saturday had equally serious fans from Auburn. What you call a cultural phenomenon is about as normal as breathing here. My youngest son went to school in NYC and many of his classmates had ever been to a college game before. Now that several of them have been to a game with him, there are texts saying Roll Tide, coming in from multi states. The frenzy must be contagious!

      Delete
  4. Roll Tide with a Hail Mary pass!!!!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovely week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great week with both extended and immediate family.

      Delete
  6. Well, us Auburn fans were stunned at that final play in the last 30 or so seconds. But, it was a win for Alabama. Referring to the woman who was in Italy--We went to the rodeo in Memphis at the Midsouth Fair. My son yelled WAR EAGLE in the huge venue. A man across the way yelled ROLL TIDE. Ten or more years later, I met a man who was the one who yelled ROLL TIDE back to my son. I thought that was amazing, but certainly not as much as the guy's experience in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I find amazing is that you met the person who yelled back at your son. The rivalry extends way beyond the states borders

      Delete
  7. What a lovely week you had! How wonderful to have new babies in the family. I love babies even more than I love dogs.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of newborns, but these two are 7 months and nearly a year old. Perfect interacting babydom!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a really nice week for you, Anne. I love that you were able to go to the dinner for volunteers. That is so nice of them to do. And yes, good neighbors are a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The luncheon was a lot of fun, but then I do love being with all of them.
      Good neighbors are wonderful to have.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a good week, all around. Here's hoping this one is as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every week (even the not greatest ones) is good, but occasionally I have a stellar one where things go pretty much to plan.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like that you had a busy and good week, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I managed to catch the last half of the game in my hotel room. Like you, I was amazed that Alabama pulled out the win. What a throw!!
    Enjoy your transition to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad they won, mainly because we have a trip planned to Atlanta this weekend for the SEC championship game. I don't think they have a snowball in Hell's chance of winning but it will make all the pre-game hype more fun.

      Delete
  12. Seems like you had quite a busy week! Wonderful Post! Have a great day!
    Gloriousher

    ReplyDelete
  13. What do you mean, "...plans for moving forward to the Christmas season?" We've been moving forward toward Christmas since August! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I would have been too, but I have been having a parade of houseguest since August and have been busy being an "innkeeper"

      Delete
  14. It sounds like a week full of joys and I really like the idea of a snack feast!
    do i say "Roll Tide" ?

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.