Translate

Monday, November 20, 2023

Joys and Meals

Some weeks are a lot of fun and some weeks are mainly about preparing. This was one of those weeks to get my ducks in a row for the beginning of the holiday season. It always feels like from Thanksgiving forward, life moves at supersonic speed, and I hope to stay a little ahead of it. So this past week was my week to get ready, before the mad rush.

Sunday: TheHub and I had some running around to do and even though the day was overcast, the leaves were gorgeous. Fall finally happened (except for fall like temperatures which seem to be nonexistent.

Monday: 

Tuesday: My Beloved sister and I did a little shopping, laughing and lunching.

Wednesday: I went to class, then did a few errands, none of which were very exciting or interesting, but had to be done anyway. I suppose the joy was getting things done.

Thursday: TheHub and I went shopping for the unwanted big ass TV__again. 
The biggest joy shopping  was finding the gift I had decided to get my bookclub friends for Christmas marked down 3 bucks each. There was an upside to the Costco visit.
And once again we bought no TV. No one can ever accuse TheHub for lack of due diligence when making a purchase, but at some point and time his diligence becomes pedantic.

Friday: The movers I hired came to help with the furniture "fruit basket turnover" the new TV accommodations created (assuming we EVER buy the new TV instead of this relentless looking and researching). It was amazing how one supposedly simple purchase could create shifts in 3 different rooms, but it did.
A harsh lesson was accepting that TheHub and I no longer had any business trying to jockey a 5 1/2 foot long, heavy as lead, media cabinet down a flight of stairs. If we did not hurt ourselves in the process, one of us would probably have killed the other before it was over. We could have handled the other two pieces, but we had already hired movers for the super heavy piece, so why not let them shuffle the rest?

Saturday: Game day! TheHub and Son2 left for the game mid morning and I was at home to rearrange all the things we had sitting in boxes from the old media set. I got everything organized and back into the heavy as lead cabinet, and sorted an amazing number of items we will say goodbye to, forever. 
Bama won, Roll Tide, the den and upstairs room were put back in order, and nothing else except for a little personal pampering happened.

Meals? Yep they happened in spite of my prior weeks plan, and there is no way I am going to plan for this week. 

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday should be snatch and grab whatever is easy and on hand. Thursday we will have an extended family gathering at my cousins. 
Friday is Thanksgiving part 2, when Son3 and DIL3 are coming from Nashville. They specifically asked if we could have our family Thanksgiving meal then. I decided to make life easier and ordered the turkey and sides. Lame? Yes! Money well spent? Absolutely!
Saturday is the Auburn/Alabama game. Rivalry foods abound!


26 comments:

  1. My partner is a researcher and researcher and comparison shopper too. Bleah. I sometimes think that he puts NO value of his time (or mine) in running around doing it.
    Hooray for the joys - and getting things done IS a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, once you decide the parameters of what will function for what you want, you pull the trigger. Not so, evidently. Last night he spent over 3 hours researching hotels in Atlanta, and finally settled on the one I mentioned to begin with. (I had stayed there a couple of times when I was in Atlanta without him.)

      Delete
  2. As long as you find some joy in each day and have something to eat, you are doing well, I'd say. My joy this week is having my daughter home. I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner (just a few friends) and I discovered a leak under the sink this evening - apparently the garbage disposal gave up the ghost! I am hoping the plumber can come out and repair/replace the thing before I need to cook Thanksgiving dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed you get a plumber to your house quickly.

      Delete
  3. I’ve been puttering around the house getting things ready for the holiday too. We hired movers the last time we bought furniture second hand. It was so nice and easy and they did a great job. I would hire them again in a heartbeat. My Mom and I carried everything up two flights of stairs when we moved here 35 years ago and there is no way I could do that today. Good for you for hiring the movers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiring them was the smartest thing I have done in a long time.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like some lovely joys!
    My husband does his research too, esp for computers. When we were first married, he spent weeks agonizing over which cpu, memory, video card etc etc to build his computer. Thankfully these days, most of the research is online as I hate shopping. He has been laid off since Sept, and both of us are stressing about health insurance since the company is now kaput and cobra is no longer an option. Healthcare in this country is ridiculous.
    But we have much to be thankful for...and I wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping you have a wonderful holiday, and your husband finds something that fits all his qualifications.

      Delete
  5. There's a lot to be said for "just getting things done". It feels like a weight off your shoulders even if it doesn't involve repainting the Sistine Chapel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it's a male thing, but my husband researches things forever before he buys, too. Sometimes I give him a deadline and say if he hasn't made a decision by then, I will make the choice. And he knows I mean it. That usually motivates him to seal the deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub and I are very different personality types. He is a linear thinker, and I have no train of thought at all, unless you call jumping from track to track a train. I am not careless, but I will never overthink something that does not require overthinking.

      Delete
  7. I no longer even think about moving furniture with assistance. The stove and fridge in this house need to be moved to be cleaned behind but that's going to wait until I can convince my son to help me some weekend.
    A 55" television isn't even considered large these days - one of the largest at a local store was 108" - isn't that crazy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the screens look like a drive in movie theater. I put my foot down for anything larger than 65 and it is still much larger than I would like.

      Delete
  8. Love your song choice! Thanks for the mention of Christmas give-aways to your book club friends. 'Just realized, I've totally forgotten my Bible study tribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this song! I have noticed a whole new generation is hearing songs I knew as a young teen now in TV ads. Who would have ever thought Nights in White Satin would be pitching cologne?

      Delete
  9. Roll Tide! Since I cooked /cooking two full Thanksgiving meals and I detailed it on HP and Sluggy’s blogs, I am not repeating it here! Hopefully we will win the Iron Bowl! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely song! Have a great celebration and Thanksgiving meal with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've noticed this at our house where changing one thing (like your TV) causes so much more work like moving furniture, cleaning, rearranging, etc. It seems like nothing is simple anymore.
    Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This stupid TV (still un-bought) caused wholesale chaos in my house.

      Delete
  12. My husband once brought home a huge painting and the only place we could put it was where the bookshelf stood. It took many hours of pain to figure out what to do with the books.
    I'm glad you got movers in.
    have a wonderful Thanksgiving and don't think about the TV :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lot going on Thanksgiving week! I totally feel you about lugging a huge TV -console cabinet. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving full of family great food, football and laughs.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that by now you're recovered from Thanksgiving holiday preparations. And when it comes to your husband’s TV shopping dilemma ... are we married to twins who were separated at birth?

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.