Translate

Sunday, November 5, 2023

This Week's Fun

In my brain, the holiday season began Monday night. Once it is Halloween it seems like the holidays are upon us, and it is time to switch gears, get ready for Thanksgiving, then head full force into Christmas. 



Monday: I finally got my Halloween decorations out. I am one of those who has a kind of creepy front porch with chains and tattered cloth and a big "bloody" BEWARE sign on the door, with skulls, skeletons, bats and rats  decoratively placed around the small porch.  There is more going on there than I like to dodge for more than one day.
My biggest joy? I took a "grabber" from Mom's house when we were cleaning it out to sell. By using it, I did not have to lug the ladder out to hang the lights and chains (styrofoam but they look like rusted metal). Instead of taking me about an hour, climbing up and down, I was able to do all the decorating standing flat on my feet, and was totally finished in less than 30 minutes! Score!

Tuesday: I loved seeing all the kiddos who came trick or treating. We had 84 by 7:15 then I ran out of candy and had to shut it down early. This obviously ticked off some "spooks" who decided if I was not handing out candy when they came around, they should take my potted mums instead. I hope they enjoyed them.
Oh well!*
By 8 pm I had removed all signs of Halloween from the house, packed it up and had it on the bottom step waiting for my next trip upstairs to put it back until next year.

Wednesday: I was able to volunteer at Independence Place, otherwise known as my happy place. I can't begin to find the words to say how much joy I get from being with them. I alternate between teaching them to make savory and sweet dishes. This was the sweet cooking day and they were extra excited to taste what they made.

Thursday: There was not a lot going on other than getting ready for our weekend guests. I suppose the joy was having everything finished and ready for them, so there was no real last minute tidying. 
I did go ahead and begin my Christmas gift wrapping. I had a couple of shipped items and the boxes were really bothering TheHub. "What's in that box?" Rather than have him wondering or even snooping I decided to go ahead and wrap every single thing I had bought so far.  They are not tree ready because I do not bow or tag them until the Christmas tree is up and they are about to go under it. Instead I have a double secret coding method (Sharpie drawn symbols on the back of each package) which correlates to my also double secret gift list.

Friday: Before anyone got here, I went upstairs for one last check to make sure things were guest ready. While up there I got out my fall/Thanksgiving items and readied the house for Turkey Day. (Who am I kidding? I only put minimal stuff out, and only in the foyer and dining room). Some of the Halloween things get to do a double duty which is also nice. The small white pumpkins and small green pumpkin shaped gourds go into the cornucopia along with pomegranates and apples. The apples will be replaced as need be (as we eat them) and the pomegranates will turn into pomegranate syrup once Thanksgiving is over.  Hopefully the gourds will dry easily and I can use them again next fall. If not they will probably end up in the compost pile
Son3 and DIL3 arrived in the afternoon and TheHub came home a bit early also. We had dinner at a restaurant, then Son3 and DIL3 left to pick up one of their friends from the airport. Toney was one of Son3's roommates while he was in school. We had met him once or twice before and were happy to have him come for a visit. He had never been to a college game, so he was in for a little baptism by fire, because the game was going to be the biggest one of the season (thus far). 
We stayed up much too late talking and laughing.




Saturday: Game day! We woke and had a communal breakfast. I am not a breakfast person but it was great to sit with everyone and have more conversations before we started watching the morning games. Alabama did not play until the evening game, so there was lots of flipping channels back and forth between 4 different games before the crew going to the game left. DIL3 and I were here for a while then DIL2 came over and joined us to watch Alabama vs. LSU.  I love spending time with them!
It was a fun game to watch and the LSU quarterback is worth seeing even if you do not like football.
Thankfully Alabama won, and everyone at our house was happy.
BTW, the young man pictured above is the former roommate and guest that was here. If you happen to watch Billions you will recognize the character, Phillip, who never smiles. Quite contrary to the personality of the off camera Toney. Imagine his character saying this line from the show, which is the actual line he said. "For the record, I bleed Crimson Tide". It was not referring to football but to a submarine movie, however we are taking exception to that since we seemed to truly make a Tide fan of him. I actually found a gif of the scene from the show, but because of my technical skills (or lack thereof) it did not make it to the blog. Oh well, I tried!

Have a wonderful week and look for your joys, no matter how small. They are always out there.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

*We discovered the mums were not taken but just knocked off the porch. They look kind of bad but are salvageable

27 comments:

  1. 84 trick or treaters??? We had none. And on our busiest ever year we had two.
    It sounds like your week was packed with joy. Which is lovely. And I am glad that the mums can be saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year we had 71 and I knew there were a couple of houses that sold and had kids so I added another dozen candy bars to my total. I felt awful that we ran out so early. Next year I am going to buy 9 dozen.

      Delete
  2. I also had no trick or treaters, and bought three bags of candy. We do this every other year or so. Next year, I'll buy none, and we will inevitably have a handful of ToTs, and I'll feel bad. Rinse & repeat. :-)

    So glad you had fun with the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in a neighborhood with a ton of young families so we have a lot of them. Plus I give full size candy bars , my house is easily accessible from the street, and none of the kids voluntarily pass it by

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good week. I'm impressed that you could put up and take down that many decorations so quickly. I have decorations I only put out for Halloween day, but they are many fewer than yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing this for so many years, it is not hard for me to get them put up and taken down quickly. Not having to use the ladder was the bonus!

      Delete
  4. I say Roll Tide although I officially am neutral on this game since daughter graduated from LSU and youngest son from Alabama. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I obviously was not neutral for this game so ROLL TIDE, ROLL!

      Delete
  5. My neighbour who does a light show for Halloween, had everything down and started on his Christmas lights on Wednesday. (Canadian Thanksgiving was last month). I put out exactly one item of Halloween decorations this year, as the rest were already packed away. I did have a few decorative pumpkins out and those got packed on the 1st.
    I'm so far behind Christmas shopping this year but as I have a bus trip planned to Minot for Black Friday shopping, I'm hoping to complete most of it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had packed for a move I doubt I would have even put one thing out for Halloween!

      Delete
  6. We dont decorate for Halloween, and for fall just inside the house. But we do go all out for Christmas..which is coming incredibly fast. I did sit with my neighbour in her driveway to Trick or Treat.. but only a few kiddies came by. The chocolate wont go to waste tho.. Christmas baking is approaching!
    Have a great week
    Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas will be here in the blink of an eye. I think I am going to go all out decorating for it this year.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful joy filled week! You had a lot of trick-or-treaters! I had none!
    Glad the potted plants were only knocked off the porch and not taken. Hopefully, you can revive them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always have a good number or trick or treaters, but we had a bumper crop of them this year.

      Delete
  8. We don't celebrate Halloween or decorate for it. 84 trick-or-treaters are really something! Have a great week ahead, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 84 is 13 more than I had last year anbd I honestly think if I had not shut down so early it could have been 95.

      Delete
  9. I didn't put much effort into my Halloween decorations this year as I just wasn't feeling it, but then Halloween hardly makes a ripple here anyway. Must do better next year though. And my isn't Toney a handsome young man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloween is big here and my neighborhood has a lot of kiddos, so I decorate inside but outside is put up only the day before.

      Delete
  10. I love your secret coding system. What a genious idea. I love decorations for all occasions but, I am too lazy to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People here tend to be snoopy so I outfox them when ever I can!

      Delete
  11. DId you put out your Skeleton plates! And to think we were there at this time last year. I am still sore from our laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I used my skull plates, but now they are packed away until Edgar Allen Poe's birthday! Maybe I could use them again on Bastille Day when heads rolled?

      Delete
  12. As we've had ZERO trick-or-treaters in the past 5 years, I didn't even bother with decorations. Perhaps I'll double my Thanksgiving efforts since the grand-girl's new beau will be accompanying her to our table. Glad to hear the mums survived; do you happen to remember when, in the 60's and 70's we wore these ginormous mum corsages to football games?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are on the right track for upping your Thanksgiving game with the new beau coming.
      I think those are called Autumn mums. I almost had one made to put on our dining room table for Alabama's homecoming. I saw a picture of one of my friends daughter's homecoming mum this year. It was about the size of a dinner plate with yards and yards of ribbons festooned with charms and buttons. It literally took up room from her collar bone to her ankle.

      Delete
  13. I missed a good yard sale because of Auburn and Alabama games. I was grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm writing from Ohio, Columbus precisely. I was diagnosed with brain cancer in August of 2010 and my wife breast cancer, A precious friend (African American) told me about Dr Jekawo A traditional herbal doctor in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my brain cancer,my wife breast cancer and herpes completely that we will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the herbal medicines preparation which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for 21 days to cure.I told Eric my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after I and my wife drinking for 21 days we were cured completely, I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with herpes or cancer to reach this great herbal doctor and that what i'm doing.
    Dr Jekawo told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[drjekawo@gmail.com] thank you so much for this great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.