Translate

Sunday, April 7, 2024

Meals, Meh

As is often happens in my life, things do not go according to plans. So, what's new?


 And who cares anyway? It's just food!

What was planned: 
1. Hamburger with all the fixings, fries
2. Baked chicken, rice, asparagus, cooked carrots, tomato slices
3. Large salad meal TBD
4. Ruben sandwiches, coleslaw
5. Grilled tuna steaks, mashed potatoes, green beans, tossed salad
6. Grilled Huli Huli chicken, seasoned rice, mixed greens
7. Chicken stuffed peppers, tossed salad

What happened:
Sunday: This meal was so lackluster it is really not even worth mentioning.
Bowl of tomato soup
Monday: I had not even begun to think about dinner but always keep a few hamburger patties individually frozen in a gallon freezer bag, I grabbed two of those to cook quickly. I also keep instant potato flakes on hand all the time. I usually use them in recipes, but hey sometimes you have to grab what is available and run with it.
Hamburger patty smothered in onions, mashed potatoes, tomato slices

Tuesday: I was getting the house ready for company and did not want to have anything but the basics. Chicken and green beans were in the freezer and cooked quickly. I always have the makings of coleslaw on hand so it was a no brainer.
Chicken, green beans, coleslaw

Wednesday: Company came in, I was tired from getting everything ready for them and I was tired.
 Take out meal

Thursday:  The day was gorgeous and perfect for doing a little grilling.
Grilled tuna steaks, garlic smashed potatoes ( the real thing) , tossed salad, dinner rolls

Friday: Our guests went to Huntsville for the day to explore the Space Center. I had no idea when they would return and wanted to have something that would keep easily in the crockpot.
Spaghetti with meat sauce, tossed salad, dinner rolls

Saturday: Son2 and DIL2 came over for a ball game meal pre-final four viewing. 
Hot dogs, baked beans, chips

What may or may not happen this week:
1. Veggie meal
2. Huli huli chicken, rice, mixed greens
3. Tuna steak, asparagus, mashed potatoes
4. Leftover spaghetti dinner, tossed salad
5. Out to eat
6. Steak, baked potato, tossed salad
7. Big salad dinner TBD

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.


20 comments:

  1. Lackluster meals are often my go to. I love a good bowl of tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of our comfort meals. If we are really being fancy we have a grilled cheese sandwich with it.

      Delete
  2. Your basics are my go-to. A protein, a veg, and a starch are fancy meals around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some meals are good here, some are kind of ho hum. We are not underfed no matter which way the wind blows

      Delete
  3. That's certainly more cooking than we did around here this week. We feasted on Easter leftovers all week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might have happened here, but I did not cook a true Easter meal, so the leftovers were scant.

      Delete
  4. Tuesday's meal is a feast to me. Love it! I am glad Tommy is not picky. Right now, we are muddling around trying to figure out what to eat. After we eat and I have energy, we will put three packages of chicken in one bag to cook. Then, I will freeze most of it. Tomorrow night, we will cook more chicken and freeze...lol. Then, we can eat out of freezer. I am having a big bowl of kale right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not generally cook for the freezer, but I do freeze leftovers.

      Delete
  5. Well, I planned to eat oxtails yesterday, but ended up roasting some ribs instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never eaten oxtails, but I see them at the store all the time. I really need to try them.

      Delete
  6. Some weeks things just don't go as planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of weeks things don't go as planned, but I seldom care.

      Delete
  7. I've definitely been uninspired in the kitchen lately. Somehow, I don't think being out of town all weekend will help with that. - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tired of planning meals. If TheHub would just ask for something specific I would make it, but it is nearly always up to me to decide.

      Delete
  8. I cannot believe we made it to the final four in basketball!!!! Roll Tide!!! Oh, and my meals were very boring. We had spaghetti for three nights, soup from a can another night, fried homemade potatoes, sautéed spinach, and the kid actually ate rotisserie chicken from Winn Dixie and liked it! Since he is iffy with chicken, I was grateful for that one! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy for the team! We did a lot of yelling and cheering Saturday!

      Delete
  9. Dinner in the crock pot for serving at a moments notice is a great idea. And it feels like such a treat to not spend the late afternoon cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not normally use the crockpot and I am not sure why I don't. It made dinner so much easier.

      Delete
  10. It all sounds delicious to me! I've been finishing up leftovers all week. All of it was good, too, and it was nice not to have to meal plan or cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fine with leftovers. With few exceptions I have to reformat them for TheHub to be happy eating.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.