Translate

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Joys For The Week

This was not a week for big joys. Sometimes plans change on account of rain. This was one of those weeks the I had to roll with the punches and accept things would be changing





Monday: I did get to see a little bit of the eclipse before the cloud cover blocked viewing completely. Oh well. 
TheHub and I have decided we will look into possibly experiencing totality in Spain in a couple of years. We have the glasses and he will be retired so why not? 

Tuesday: It was rainy and cool, I had to be nowhere and there is a certain joy having a stay at home while it rains type of day. Coffee and reading was the big news for the day.

Wednesday: We had a little unexpected crisis. Is a crisis ever expected? I suppose by definition calling one unexpected is redundant. Anyway my biggest joy for the day other than the situation being resolved was when I called TheHub and told him about it and that I wa headed out of town, his only reaction was to tell me to wait.
He had pulled into the parking deck for a meeting he was headed to, called them and told them he could not make it, then drove to the house so he could go with me.  I have much gratitude and joy for choosing a supportive lifelong partner..

Thursday: It was another damp and dreary day. Instead of reading, which is what I wanted to do, I thought it might be a good day to change over my cooler weather duds for summer weight clothes. Even though we have a walk in closet, one of us is a clothes horse and the other one of us is not, and the one who has the most clothes occupies the majority of the closet space. 
Years ago I bought two  32 gallon plastic garbage bins to store off season items in. Not only do I change over my clothes, but I also change the duvet and shams from our bad, the bath mats in the master bath, along with the curtains in the den. There is a lot of washing and drying before putting things away for the season. Thursday was the perfect day to dig in and get it done.

Friday: We woke to a drop dead gorgeous day. If it took all the yucky cooler rainy days to bring it, it was well worth it. I had been putting off all shopping, both grocery and incidental until the rains stopped. I had a great day to do the things I needed to get done.
TheHub usually likes to go out to eat on Fridays, but neither of us were hungry and decided to stay in,  watch a replay of some of The Master's, then watch some episodes of a new to us Netflix series "The Night Agent".. Unbelievable, but entertaining.

Saturday: It was another gorgeous day which included oiur usual Saturday morning runarounds. We had planned on going to Aldrich Garden's annual plant sale. We were surprised when we got there to find the parking lot less than half full since it is usually overflowing on the sale weekend.  Probably because we both had the wrong date  which is next weekend.. "My name is Anne. and I'm a dumbass"
I don't know if I have ever relayed this story here before, but when I was much younger I had seen the movie "My Name is Bill W." which is about the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous.  I was at the grocery store a few days later and was checking out. Now this was a time when people actually either paid for groceries with real cash or wrote checks. I fell into the latter group and realized when I opened my checkbook I had no more blank checks. This was a smaller local grocery store and I was about to explain to the clerk about my empty checkbook, and began with the sentence "My name is Anne and I'm a dumbass" The man in line behind me, without missing a beat, said "Hi, Anne"  It cracked me up and I still get a kick out of remembering it. 
(For the record, the clerk let my leave with my groceries,, run home to get a check to bring back and pay . And this was the advantage of small  independent neighborhood grocery stores, which no longer exist anywhere around me.)
Other than being at the right place, wrong time our Saturday was spent  doing our usual running around,  watching  Alabama softball and The Masters. 

Sunday:  We went to church, picked up a few things we needed at the store, came home to get ready for the great de-pollenization. Each and every spring we get blitzed by pollen. Our decks and screened porch floors and furniture are covered with what looks like yellow sand which makes them unusable.
We have to wait until the brunt of the pollen has fallen and the day is warm enough to use the hose without being too cold. I have done it every year and am usually completely soaked by the time I finish. This time was no different. 
 It is a multi step process to get things cleaned  washing the ceilings, walls, screens, rugs, furniture and all accessories. Additionally it will have to be repeated again in a couple of weeks, but there will be a much lighter coat of pollen. The joy?  We can sit on the porch again and enjoy morning coffee and birdsongs. And that is a true joy!

April Reading
How Do I Un-remember This

Look for your joys. They are always out there.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

30 comments:

  1. I'm glad that your crisis has resolved. We have the same pollen problems, but we're behind you in our blooming season, so it will be a few weeks before we can do an outdoor cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to be able to open the doors to the screened porch today without the fear of a yellow gust blowing in.

      Delete
  2. There are pollen and allergy blocking window screens. They are expensive, but if I ever get a screened in porch, I will have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have floor to ceiling screens around the porch. It would cost a fortune to screen and I only lose about 4 weeks of usability because of the pollen. I will lose the few weeks and save a boatload of dollars.

      Delete
  3. I remember my mom dealing with poplar fuzz when I was a kid; the yard was surrounded by these massive trees. The fuzz was sticky and was brought into the house on the bottom of our shoes. But your yellow pollen sounds much, much worse! Glad you were able to get it cleaned up so you can enjoy your spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know which would be worse. I have never had to deal with sticky fuzz. At least the pollen is slick and dry. If (when) it gets in the house it can be vacuumed.

      Delete
  4. Love the 'my name is Anne' story. That is a funny memory. We do get pollen here but nothing like we did living in South Florida. I do NOT miss that mess. Glad your porch is ready for you to be able to enjoy. That is a huge joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started laughing in the store when it happened, and still laugh when I think of it.

      Delete
  5. My front and back porches had pollen but the back porch is very tiny,
    and it can be easily swept/hosed off the small front porch, so takes me about ten minutes to do both. That is a good thing because my name is Cindy and I suck at both house and yard work. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. "Hi Cindy!" I have to rinse, scrub, wipe, then repeat again. I hate every minute of it!

      Delete
  6. Glad the crisis was resolved and that your hubby was able to go with you.
    We weren't able to see much of the eclipse either since it was rainy and cloudy. Makes me a little sad since we won't be able to see another one in my lifetime unless we travel to see it.
    Yay on being able to enjoy your porch. I'm sure it is lovely in the mornings.
    Wishing you another week filled with joys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week we have several things planned which should be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  7. Too funny about "my name is Anne and ..."! The last mom-and-pop grocer I recall was probably 1970(ish). I'd put my baby son in the stroller and weigh him on their produce scale.
    I think some of the best vacation times happen in the planning! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were still a few of them around here until well into the 80's.
      If things work out, we will probably hit Spain, just maybe not for an eclipse.

      Delete
  8. Love the my name is Anne story. My deck and furniture need to be powerwashed so bad. That is a job for Nate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I told my sister about it she decided the two of us should be cofounders of D.A.

      Delete
  9. We haven't done our outdoor depolinazation (?) yet! I usually wait until May. I have to wear a mask to help. Mark usually mops the porchs and cleans the screens and fans. We have lots of porches! I'm so glad you resolved your crisis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an excess of decks, porches and patios. For a couple of weeks I wander around outside "Have hose - Will travel".

      Delete
  10. I'm trying to just accept and be satisfied when a day isn't crap. It's good to have a partner that just understands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have someone to share the good and the bad with.

      Delete
  11. Well that would be cool going to Spain to see one! Sorry about your crisis, glad he was able to drive you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to see the eclipse is most likely a pipe dream, but most realities begin with a dream.

      Delete
  12. I hear you on the pollen. Which gets everywhere.
    Your joys sound lovely. Again. Not least the joy of getting cleaning/washing done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pollen is not my friend, even though I know it is one of nature's necessities.

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad that your crisis issue was resolved and that your husband was able to accompany you. It's always good to have someone supportive with you. Small joys count, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it nice that people trusted so much that you would return to pay for your groceries! I've had that happen to me round here too and it's so gratifying! And I'm glad your crisis was resolved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice. I suppose it helped that I was a regular customer. I am sure it would not happen at the corporate grocery stores that populate the area now.

      Delete
  15. Seeing totality in Spain would be so fun.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great. Not sure it will happen for us, but there is some fun in the planning even if it comes to nothing.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.