Translate

Monday, April 29, 2024

A Little Springtime Joy

We did not have major plans for the week, but we did have one big event we were attending. Other than that the week both organically and/or surprisingly planned itself. Good thing because it's spring and anything can happen in spring.



Monday: I don't like to plan things for Monday's. preferring to be at home, try to organize any chaos from the weekend and set my plans for the week ahead. That and lots of laundry is what I wound up doing. 

I did take my mattress pad and winter bed covering to the laundromat. I have a pretty dense mattress pad, and I usually have to run the spin cycle about 5 times to get it enough  water out of it to put it in the dryer. If time is money, then I spent the best 20 bucks I could ever spend. Both items were wash, dried and folded in about an hour. (OK I did not really fold the mattress pad, just wadded it up until I walked in the front door and then it went straight back onto the mattress) 
I will be doing this again, and again. I am not sure why it took me this long to figure this incredible time and frustration saver out. My name is Anne and I'm a . . .

Tuesday: I was able to go to my happy place. Being with the participants of Independence Place is my favorite way to spend my time. After I left there, I ran a couple of errands, then decided I did not want to cook. Instead we went to our little neighborhood place without knowing it was trivia night. 
We were not technically playing but TheHub and I were telling each other the answers. The table next to us was playing as a team and overheard us talking to each other (One of their team members was all but sitting in my lap and could not help but overhearing) Anyway they used a few of our answers as theirs. We left before the game was officially over but I hope we helped them win.
We will be going back soon to officially play.

Wednesday: I had a library book that was due by 5:11 pm. I do mostly digital loans that disappear as soon as the allotted date and time is over.  Since I was not quite halfway through I was compelled to read the day away. It was great!

Thursday: Had a call from Sluggy while she was waiting for her connecting flight from DFW to the Louisiana swamp. It is always great to talk with her. We do disagree about DFW.  She hates it. If we fly American, I will only take the flight if the plane stops in Dallas. I will take it any day over flying through Charlotte. I cannot stand that airport. 
I know Birmingham is a second tier airport, but it seems every flight I have ever taken from Birmingham that connects in Charlotte disembarks at the last gate in the farthest terminal then the connection is on the other terminal in the upper side of the "U". The connecting to come home is the exact thing in reverse.
Do me a favor and give me Dallas.
Son3 and DIL3 came to town. We had purchased a table at the Parkinson's fundraiser for the two of us, them and Son2 and DIL2.  This year it was held at the Grand Bohemian (a local hotel) which was the best venue of any of the Parkinson's events we have been to. Hats off to the TFAC committee. Top to bottom it was the best one we have ever been to. I did bid on a piece of art (I use that term loosely) that I did not want. (I had been chatting unknowingly with the "artist" who led me to her piece that was in the silent auction. I put a nominal bid on it quite early hoping I would be outbid. I wasn't!
I might still have the addresses of bloggers who participated in the Blogger Christmas Card Exchange. Do not be surprised if one of you someday gets a surprise package containing a tree with leaves made of random earrings glued to a piece of painted palette wood. I will select the victim giftee carefully if I decide it is worth the postage to get rid of it.

Friday: Son3 and DIL3 had a quick cup of coffee and then were off to do a few things in town before heading back to Nashville. After they left I ran a few errands, came home and at least thought about cooking dinner. We wanted to eat early so we could watch Alabama's softball get slaughtered by Tennessee. Once the massacre was over we watched "We Were The Lucky Ones" which we really were enjoying.

Saturday: TheHub and I did some running around, first to the produce stand, then to gas up for an unanticipated road trip Sunday. After that we headed to the nursery to buy some plants. I am looking for hellebores and am having a hard time finding what I want. Even so, we came home with lantana, a lime tree, several herbs, and something else, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. 
Once home we had a quick and simple lunch then watched Alabama baseball. I am pretty sure at some point we both watched from our specific seats with our eyes closed, and slacked jaws.
At least I did manage to see the last two innings, which was better than the other person in the room did.
Once he woke After he quit watching things with his eyes closed we did watch the latest episode of "We Were The Lucky Ones" before halfway watching/listening to Alabama softball. While the game was on, we sat in the kitchen with the volume up while we worked on plans for our upcoming trip.

Sunday: We started the day at church, came home for about 10 minutes then headed out the door to make a quick trip to Decatur.  Sone 3 had left his computer here Friday morning and needed it for work. When he called us Saturday to tell us he was going to drive here to get it, we suggested it would be easy for us to meet him halfway, grab a bite to eat and hand over the goods. Athens, Alabama is actually the halfway point, but he had never been to Big Bob Gibson's before and wanted to try it. We were so happy DIL3 came along for the ride. Even though we had just seen them earlier in the week, it was great to see them again.
On the ride home we talked with Son2 and DIL2 who asked us to come see how the work on their new place has progressed. We stopped by our house, changed shoes (I had been in Sunday shoes long enough) and were walking out the door when we ran into our neighbors. We had a nice short visit with them, then headed to their house.
I knew their plans and have been talking to them regularly about what all they were doing, but the house barely resembled the one they bought. It is a virtually new home inside the existing shell. I love every single thing they had done to it, and once they move in it will feel like they are in a vacation home. It sits on a gorgeous lake with two sunrooms overlooking the water, along with either 3 or 4 decks and porches. There is also a boat house with a covered deck over the water. 
It is going to be a wonderful place for them to live. TheHub has said once he retires he would not mind going out there any time they need supervision on any projects they might have going on while they are at work. Of course he might "supervise" while holding a fishing pole in one hand.
We finally got back to the house a little after 7, ate a quick dinner then watched  an episode of "Fargo" season 5.
Now it is late night, or early morning. I am listening to owls hooting and wondering what tasty tidbit they are hunting. I can spare a chipmunk or two!

April reading
How Do I Un-remember This
The Whispering Room
The Crooked Staircase
Beasts Of A Little Land


Have a great week and look for your joys. They are always out there no matter how large or small.

May all your weeds be wildflowers
Anne

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mattress topper tip! Mine's relatively new, so that's something I hadn't thought about.
    ROFLMAO about your winning bid on the 'art.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to consider the "art" purchase was for a good cause, and plan who will eventually get it carefully.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for joy. In any season.
    I am smiling at your art purchase. But need no more earrings. Places to keep them, yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These earrings are permanently affixed to the backing board. I guess I learned to only bid on something I really want.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you found plenty of joy during the week. I think that piece of art could easily become one of those Christmas gifts that get passed around from person to person over the years! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is probably what I am going to do with it, but add the codicil that it has to be displayed somewhere in the house until a new victim is found.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good week. I hope the owls help with your chipmunks. I know they are not your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching a few of them scamper, but we have reached what I consider max population now and the herd needs to be thinned.

      Delete
  5. Definitely a nice week, full of the joys that make the days special in their own unique ways.
    Phew, I'm glad I missed out on the card exchange last year. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lime tree! Is that something you'll grow indoors? Or outdoors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will stay outdoors but will kind of overwinter inside. THe big plants that cannot tolerate freezes live in the basement where I can roll them outside and roll them back in depending on the temperature.

      Delete
  7. Copy my work if it helps.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would cost way too much for you to mail the art you won across Birmingham to me. Too bad...lol It sounds atrocious.

    Thirty years ago I hired a wheelchair to push me to the outer limits of the Atlanta airport. I could walk, just not that far and quickly with knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Charlotte airport is a nightmare to navigate. The only way I will hub there is to have no less than a 1 1/2 hour layover.

      Delete
  9. I grew up eating Big Bob Gibson’s bbq and Woodalls ( Big Bob’s relatives had a bbq place a little ways out of Decatur and had peacocks that I used to run after in my Sunday church clothes.
    My grandma ran after me running after the peacocks….lol. I am sure it was a sight.) I especially love the Big Bob Gibson’s bbq white sauce on chicken and potato chips. My favorite to this day! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his white sauce too! I was kind of surprised TheHub had never eaten there either.

      Delete
    2. Jim and Nick’s bbq, not sure if you have one in B’ham area but we have one in Ttown, serve Morgan County white bbq sauce with their bbq chicken. Their sauce is a bit tangier than Big Bob’s but still very good and their bbq chicken is wonderful. However they do not have any potato chips, just fries! So I get extra sauce and take it home… lol. I like their coleslaw also. Cindy in the South

      Delete
    3. We do have several Jim and Nick's here. I love their corn muffins. In fact I have been known on a veggie meal night to get an order of the muffins to go, just so I would not have to turn the oven on to make some at home.
      Mrs. Myra's also serves white bbq sauce.

      Delete
  10. I have been to Big Bob Gibson's BBQ and it was delicious!! I love their spices and white sauce. A friend of mine sent me a gift package from them this past Christmas that I can't wait to use this summer. I had to laugh about the 'art' you won. An earing tree?? Sounds hideous. Why is it that you always seem to win when it really isn't even something you want?? I've had that happen too many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman I met was one of the Parkinson's patients who went to the fundraiser and she was so excited to have made something to contribute to the silent auction. I felt morally obligated to bid on it. It is not truly hideous, but is something I never (in a million years) would have chosen.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.