Translate

Monday, April 22, 2024

The Rain, The Parties, and Other Things

We had things planned for the week. Some happened, and some were cancelled because of rain. Drats!!!

Monday: We traveled to Nashville to see/hear DIL3's album release show. Naturally we loved being there to see her preform, but we also got to see a couple of guys who went to school in New York with Son3. It was good to see them and to also see some of their friends in Nashville we have been around a few times.
It was a great show and though we were invited to the after party, we opted out. It was a night for them to be celebrating with their friends and not feeling like they had to entertain us. 
If any of you ever have a chance to go to the Basement downtown, take advantage of it. It is a very cool venue.

Tuesday: We stayed at a hotel on the southern outskirts of Nashville, which made our trip home so much easier than staying in East Nashville.
We woke fairly early, had breakfast then headed home. The trip back to Birmingham was an uneventful, beautiful drive. 
It is so nice to be able to drive to Nashville, see them, then head back home, instead of doing what we formerly had to do and fly. We can actually be there almost as fast as it took us to get to the airport, park, go through security and get on the plane. There is a huge joy in the simplicity of car travel.

Wednesday: I missed my class to wait at home for the guy who takes care of our lawn. We have had some landscaping work done and I needed to be here to tell him a couple of changes to the routine. Some are temporary until the new sod has a chance to take root, but some of the changes were to the sprinkler system (new heads and such). 
I had a hard time getting in touch with him and the  yard needed some attention badly. 
It was worth missing my class to get the lawn looking better, since delaying would be iffy. The weather forecast was for high chances of rain for the rest of the week.

Thursday: This was almost a do nothing day. I had planned on going to a local garden's annual sale, but rain changed that.
I did run to the store to pick up a couple of things, but other than that it was a rainy, windy, gloomy stay at home kind of day.

Friday: I talked to 2/3 of my sons. 
Son1 told me about Pip’s Listening Party. She is a huge Taylor Swift fan and it seems TS dropped a new album. She invited 5 friends to dress in an outfit based one of each of TS’s album themes, I think she claimed the newest one for herself. They listened to songs, sang, watched videos, ate dinner, and had a heart shaped cake that oozed strawberry “blood”.  The cake was supposed to mean something but I am tragically unhip and have no clue what that might be. All I know is I got a video of one of the kids stabbing said cake while all the other Taylor wannabes cheered. I do love being included in her life even if it is from afar.
While the party was going on, TheHub and I went to a nearby community theater’s production of 'Fiddler on the Roof”. 
One of the participants of Independence Place loves theater and was cast in the ensemble. He had been asking me to come for quite a while, so of course we went. This is TheHub's all time favorite musical. It was his 3rd time seeing the play, but my 5th.
They did quite a good job with the performance, had a couple of extraordinary vocalists, and a few very talented dancers. A play about Russian Jews is not a great fit with Southern accents  but after a few minutes Tevye's long drawn out vowels just became part of the play. What did I expect? It was community theater in an Alabama town.
We did make a decision to start going to a few of the community theaters around town for some inexpensive local entertainment.


Saturday: We did our usual running around, came home to a lot of mutual reading, trip planning, and of course Alabama softball watching.
Pip Face-timed me to tell me all about the party, and talked about everything Taylor Swift. While we were talking she got her Dad's ukulele  and had him show her some cords to a song or two.
Even though I personally could not care less about Taylor, I am going to start listening to her music and learn to play some of her songs on my uke, so we can have more to share when she calls.

Sunday: I want to know what sort of sorcery this was.  I woke with every joint screaming at me, and got out of bed FREEZING.  Ok not truly freezing but the house was cold and after my shower I had to throw on long pants and a sweatshirt. We are on the other side of mid April and it is supposed to be warm. I cried foul! Didn’t do any good, but it made me feel better. Hey April! I should be wearing shorts and flip flops.  Let’s get with the program ok! 
The upside? Reading on the couch while covered in a blanket was a good way to spite Mother Nature.

April reading
How Do I Un-remember This
The Whispering Room
The Crooked Staircase


Look for your joys. They are always out there even if they are small.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne



15 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful week. How fun to go to your DIL's album release show. I prefer road trips to flying anymore. I love going to see our local high school and college plays. One year they did Scrooge and it was fabulous. Glad you enjoyed FOTR. Funny about Pip and the Taylor Swift party. Sounds like she had a great time. I hope this week is equally good for you and that the weather warms up. It got COLD here Saturday and Sunday too. I was scrambling to find something warm to wear since I had put my winter clothes up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOw fun but then waking up with every joint sore and freezing is auto immune at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know Taylor Swifts work in depth either, but am pretty ok with what I've heard. Seems like just fun for her fans. Bonding long distance is hard, but you make it seem effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of Taylor, but Pip's party theme is so cute!
    Fiddler is my all-time favorite, too. I've a soft spot for soundtracks and that one checks all my boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the play Fiddler on the Roof at the Gaslight Dinner Theater in Memphis, Tennessee with my aunt and mom when I was about 9 years old! Great memories! Love Pip’s party and I follow your dil on Facebook. Love her voice! Yes, I wore sweats Sunday. I did venture outside to walk an hour when it warmed up Sunday afternoon. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, not a Taylor Swift fan either, but Pip and her friends sound like they had a wonderful time. That's most important, isn't it. Good on you for being willing to listen and learn some of the music.
    We had a lovely day yesterday (16C/61F) and sunny but today the temperature dropped (10C/50F) and overcast. It feels much cooler to me. Hopefully we both get better weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be interesting to hear what Pip thinks of the new TS album. From what I hear, she is letting her haters have it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you're becoming an honorary "Swiftie". I don't know anything about TS but I love that you're learning for Pip

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember about seven years ago a French colleague went to New York for business and came back raving about a "new" play she'd seen - Fiddler on the Roof! I laughed when I told her I had watched that as a little girl in '70s - it certainly has stood the test of time, hasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Staying at a hotel on the outskirts of town is easier sometimes. We are going to Atlanta next month and plan on doing that as well. I'm glad you had a good trip and got to see family and their friends,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes the weeds teach you more than the wildflowers. Regine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to your dil! So exciting, and I'm sure it meant a lot to them that you were able to come to the show. Love Pip's party idea too, and how great that she wanted to share her excitement with you. Wishing you many joys this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you found many things to be joyful about, even if it did rain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankful for these posts.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.