Translate

Sunday, May 5, 2024

Close But No Cigars

I had a decent week with meals though I did veer off a little. We ate fairly well anyway and I am usually fine when things change. Maybe this time is as close as I will ever get



Planned 
1. Fish sandwich, chips✓
2. Steak, potatoes, salad
3. Veggie meal✓
4. Tuna steak, mashed potatoes, some green veggie, coleslaw✓
5. Out to eat✓
6. Tacos  Forgot Cinco de Mayo was Sunday, so moved this to next week's plan
7. Sandwich meal TBD✓

VS

What We Really Ate
Sunday: We took an unplanned road trip to Decatur, then on the way home Son2 called and asked us to come by their house to see the progress they had made with their reno. By the time we finally were close to home for the night it was later than we I wanted to start cooking. Definitely not our norm but McD's came to the rescue.
Fish sandwich, potato chips, handful of grapes

Monday: I bought beautiful tomatoes, cucumbers and squash at our neighboring produce stand over the weekend. That made a veggie meal very easy.
Collard greens, sautéed squash with onions, cucumber tomato red onion salad

Tuesday: We had decided to go to The Electric for dinner and trivia, but there was nowhere for us to sit. Punted and went to Bluff Park Diner. Not where I wanted to go but it was close, open, and had empty tables.
Catfish*, cabbage and green beans (me) or Baked spaghetti, okra, and black eyed peas (TheHub)

Wednesday: TheHub had lunch at Cracker Barrel again and brought home one of the $5 small meals for us to split for dinner.
Meatloaf, tossed salad, mac and cheese (TheHub) raw cauliflower (me)

Thursday: The beautiful day screamed "Fire up that grill" 
Grilled tuna steaks, mashed potatoes, coleslaw

Friday: We planned on watching the Alabama/Auburn softball game and decided it would be a perfect sandwich night.
Pimento cheese sandwiches, cucumbers and pepper slices or chips

Saturday: We did a lot of running around, then did separate projects in the house before watching The Kentucky Derby. After it was over I did not want to cook so we went out.
Jim and Nick's BBQ. Chicken plate with coleslaw and baked beans (TheHub) Carolina pork plate with coleslaw and collards (me)

What’s possible for this week?
1. Tacos and all the fixings
2. Steak, mashed potatoes, tossed salad
3. Taco salad ( had a lot left over from taco night)
4. Out to eat
5. Grilled fish or scallops, tossed salad
6. Veggie meal TBD
7. Sandwich meal TBD

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.





p.s. Accidental new lunch favorite.
I don't know about most of you, but for me lunch is always eating  bits and bobs of what is leftover from other meals. Tuesday, I was cleaning out the fridge and found leftover sautéed squash and onions, and about 2 teaspoons of pimento cheese. I nuked the squash on a plate then put the leftover pimento cheese on the other side of said plate. 
The phone rang while I was walking to the table. When I reached to answer it, the plate tipped slightly and the hot squash slid into the pimento cheese. Oh my goodness, it was delicious and something I am going to start having anytime I have leftover squash. (I will try this with other vegetables I have leftover.) 
Luckily I make pimento cheese regularly, especially during warm weather, and always have some veggies left over.

* Catfish is one of my least favorite proteins, but the rest of their offerings looked horrible to me (probably because I had my taste buds set for the Americana salad at The Electric).

22 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever (knowingly) had catfish. Or pimento cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catfish is a local freshwater white fish. Pimewnto cheese is a Southern staple and if you are truly a southern connoisseur you know to call it pimmacheese (one word)

      Delete
  2. Jim and Nick's has been on my mind lately. Maybe we need have some. I would never have thought of pimento and cheese in squash and onions. But, I will try that. I know Tommy won't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had intended to go to Saw's but it had many people waiting for a table, so we went to Jim and Nick's instead. I think they have the best coleslaw in town so it was not a bad trade off.

      Delete
  3. I am spoiled regarding catfish bc of all the commercial ponds around here and used to having it cooked right. Only a few restaurants I have found really know how to cook it. They are all located in South central Alabama counties like Perry, Dallas, Hale, where it is grown,
    and neighboring counties further south. Actually some of the gas stations in south Alabama counties like Dallas and Wilcox counties know how to cook it… lol. It is sort of like Conecuh county is the only place who knows how to do sausage right. Hi my name is Cindy and I am a sausage and catfish snob… lol. I think Cajun Louisiana feels the same way about gumbo. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a local chain here called Sam's. They do a really good catfish. And the only ham worth eating is a Smithfield VA salt cured one. Sluggy the ham snob. 8-0

      Delete
    2. I have had some fantastic catfish in LA (lower Alabama). It is not my favorite fish, but good catfish is delicious. And I am right there with you in your sausage snobbery!

      Delete
    3. Sluggy ,I have had and enjoyed Smithfield ham several times. It is good but in reality I am ham indifferent and only have it about once or twice a year..(excluding paper thin sliced deli ham for a sandwich)

      Delete
  4. Ha - and thus a new recipe was discovered!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. There are accidents then there are happy accidents.

      Delete
  5. Don't leave out the steak again this week :-)) It's my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steak is thawed and will be eaten in the next 2 days.

      Delete
  6. Our neighbor fishes in the spring and summer and brings us catfish. It is delicious and the only catfish I will eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fish person. I do a fish fry maybe once per year, just because it's a Minnesota requirement to keep residency cards (JK). My lunches almost always are the bits and bobs- works to help keep budget down and avoid food waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love fish, but I really prefer a firm fleshed salt water fish that is either grilled or broiled. We would both eat it just about every day excpt for the price. Once in a while though I will have some fried catfish.

      Delete
  8. I love discovering out-of-the-ordinary food combos! Pimento cheese was one of the first things I made along my journey to become a Bonafide Southerner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to not stick to the meal plan! Don't think I've ever had pimento cheese, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a staple in my house. I make it all the time.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.