Translate

Sunday, May 26, 2024

Weird Week For Dining

I planned on being more intentional sticking to the menu for this week, but life had other plans for me. When I was thinking about the week's dinners, I forgot about our new "fun with trivia" night, but I did remember plans to meet a group of friends for dinner Wednesday night. I really should have planned for 2 nights out of the kitchen. But, if you continue reading, you will notice it actually turned into 3 nights of dining out.


                                                  

We never did really go to an Italian place though.


What was planned:
Broiled triple tail, mashed potatoes, tossed salad, asparagus ✓
Veggie meal TBD
Big salad meal TBD✓
Pork chops, green beans, new potatoes, coleslaw
Out to eat
Sandwich meal TBD (but probably pimento cheese)
Grilled chicken, broccoli, saffron rice, sliced tomatoes

Vs.

What we really ate:
Sunday: We bought fresh fish the previous Saturday and the absolute longest I will keep it before cooking it is one day.
Broiled triple tail, mashed potatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, tossed salad

Monday: Sometimes I like our Monday meal to be simple. I say it is because I am so tired from all the housework I did to start the week. Though I did get things neat and tidy, I would hardly call it torturous. Nonetheless, I opted for easy.
Taco salad

Tuesday: Trivia night at  The Electric meant no cooking for me.
Americana salad or pastrami sandwich w/ coleslaw

Wednesday: We had plans to meet a group at The Pita Cafe, so of course we went!(There were about 16 of us, and we always get 2 tables. The females sit at one and the guys at another, so one table talks about fun things and the other talks  about the sport of the season, or golf.)
Lamb kabob, tossed salad, rice pilaf or whatever TheHub ate. 

Thursday: I was ready to cook dinner when I found the guy who serviced the oven had neglected to hook the gas back up. Options were limited to whatever could be zapped or eaten cold. 
Leftovers__TheHub - spaghetti, garlic bread (leftovers from one of his lunches) , Me - ranch dip, crudités (leftovers from cooking day at Independence Place).

Friday: The repairman could not come Friday, so we went out to eat. This might have been the best burger I have ever eaten.
Burgers and fries from Whiskey Foxtrot Burger Dive

Saturday: When we were thinking about dinner for Saturday, it needed to be either something that could be grilled or made in the oven. I have a dual fuel stove so I still had bake or broil options. 
While doing our Saturday running around we stopped at by the fish monger's, and bought shrimp and triple tail (they rarely have it and it is so good we get it whenever it is available)
TheHub had planned on having shrimp for lunch* that afternoon but decided  he wanted a pimento cheese sandwich instead, and would have the shrimp for lunch on Sunday. That foiled my plans to cook it for dinner Sunday night, (I mean, who wants seafood for lunch and dinner the same day) so I punted. 
Broiled triple tail, tossed salad, dinner rolls

What's next?
1. Grilled steak, tossed salad, mashed potatoes
2. Grilled pork chop, coleslaw,  corn on the cob, dinner rolls
3. Veggie meal TBD
4. Big salad meal TBD
5. Out to eat
6. Stuffed bell peppers, coleslaw
7. Grilled tuna steaks, smashed potatoes, cucumber tomato onion salad.

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.

* This lunch thing is going to be difficult once TheHub retires. He has eaten lunch out every work day he has been employed. (Decades and decades of lunches) For him, lunch is whatever sounds appealing on any given day. That is not the way it works around here. Lunch is eating the bits and pieces of whatever is left over, and is never what I want, it is just what is available. Add that to the fact that I do not/will not start making lunch, so, some adjustments are going to have to be made. I am not the one planning on adjusting.



24 comments:

  1. Your meals all sound so good. It will be interesting to see how the lunch issue goes. That is going to be hard for him if he's used to eating out every day for lunch and having so many options. I don't blame you for standing your ground. No need for you to have to start cooking another meal. Enjoy your Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be a challenge, but I married him for better or worse . . .just not for lunch.

      Delete
  2. I think he may decide to go eat out lunch anyway. That way he stays out of your hair and you don’t have to vary your routine. Plus, he leaves house and gives you some space. I call that a win… lol. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he plays a lot of golf and eats at the club.

      Delete
  3. Steak, pork chops and tuna...menu next week sounds absolutely wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be good. I hope I can stick to the plan too!

      Delete
  4. Maybe the Hubs will start cooking, so he can have what he wants for lunch. Or maybe, he will decide that a bowl of cereal makes a fine lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I don't cook breakfast and he has cereal every morning I don't think he will do a cereal lunch. He will make his own sandwiches and I will make sure to always have pimento cheese made, and it is easy to buy deli meat. I don't eat at noon as he has for the last forever, so he needs to be self sufficient then.

      Delete
  5. Grinning at the footnote b/c Tom and I are exactly like your Hubs: "..... whatever sounds appealing on any given day." Fortunately, he does prepare his own lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind TheHub having whatever he wants as long as he shops for it and makes it himself.

      Delete
  6. A good burger is one of my favorite things to eat, but don't tell my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the lunch dilemma. If he eats lunch, himself has cereal (which he doesn't have earlier).
    I am so envious of your eating out...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, in all my 65 years have never heard of a triple tail. So I asked Ms. Google and what do you know?!? Sounds to be good eating but I doubt Mr. Kroger carries it, Ever! lol
    Most of my menus get derailed as well so join the club. I'd keep a stash of coupons to Hubby's fav. lunch spots and place them in a conspicuous spot. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooof, that does sound like it's going to be a challenge. Maybe one option would be for him to list out 5-7 items that he likes, but can be stored in the fridge/freezer & rotate through those? For me, I do salads as the base, but put basically any leftover (okay, not pasta, I'm not an animal) on top as my lunch. Bits of cheese, nuts, whatever protein, etc, so every day is different. Or, you could consider sandwich options one week, etc. I've eaten so many leftovers since I've been laid off! (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the leftover world. I have been doing that forever and it is never what I really want, but it doesn't matter. I eat it anyway. Evidently TheHub has to be in the mood for something specific to eat it. I know he loves pimento cheese and one specific Boars Head deli chicken. I will absolutely have those on hand all the time.

      Delete
  10. Thankfully, Tommy gets whatever is in the refrigerator. One day, he actually got a can of chicken and ate that on a sandwich. Ex would come in anywhere from 10:30 to 2 :pm and I had to stop baby care or cleaning to make his sandwich! Never again. I love pimiento and cheese. Tommy hates it so all is for me. He likes to shop, so buying his own sandwich fixings should not be too hard for him. Never heard of triple tail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you'll both go out for lunch most days and then, plan on dining out 2-3 days a week. :)
    I sort of stuck to my meal plan, although there was a beef curry that was not planned (but, it was very tasty!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That will be an interesting change for certain - especially for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a change for both of us and hopefully we will get used to sharing the house during the daytime.

      Delete
  13. We use up leftovers for lunch here too. I would much rather eat what is here than go out to get something, but I was the exact opposite when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.