Translate

Monday, May 6, 2024

What a Nice Week

The past week was a lovely week, with large and small joys. 
I truly believe is you look for things that are bad or disagreeable that is what you see most often.  I love the quote that has been showing up on Pinterest boards and Facebook for quite a while 
"Look for the best in the worst rather than looking for the worst in the best" 
Now I am not Mary Sunshine nor am I immune from being upset or angry, but I  understand things happen, and some of them are things I wish did/would not. 
Even so (after a little bit of reflecting and possible not so charming words) I do prefer to look on the bright side.




Monday: This was a stay at home day for me. I had a lot of laundry to catch up on as well as removing any transitional clothes from my closet. 
It was time for a full blown summer wardrobe flip and I was ready for it. I did leave one sweatshirt and one jean jacket for any surprise chilly nights but other than that I am totally done with cool temps. Out with the darks and in with some color!
After dinner TheHub and I started watching Apple TV's Franklin. I loved it, but TheHub was not truly fond of it. I think it is because he usually watches most shows halfway paying attention, and a lot of this was in French with subtitles.

Tuesday: I slept later than I usually do, woke and started getting my last remaining sweaters washed, to dry flat before packing them away.
While I was doing that I was able to talk with my beloved sister and laugh about whatever we laugh about just about every day. (Usually we make fun of bonehead things we have done during our lifetime).
TheHub and I had planned on going to Trivia at The Electric, arriving there about 20 minutes before it was to begin. We discovered we would need to be there much earlier to get a table. I mean, who wants to eat and play trivia while standing? Not us, but it did blow our plans! 
Instead we went out to eat at a diner on the crest and at least got to see a drop dead gorgeous sunset.

Wednesday: I finally made it to class and was so happy to be there without having to stay at home for some service person doing something to or around the house. One nice thing about TheHub's retirement will be that there will be more than one person to be here when things that need someone at home are happening. 
After class two friends who are also in there asked if I would join them at a nearby restaurant. That was a quick yes on my part. 
After lunch I ran a few errands, before heading home to enjoy the rest of the gorgeous day. 
Then  I decided to call Sissie (Kim's twin) and  to tell her I was thinking about her and wish her luck with their big move. After talking with her, I am thrilled I am not moving. Joy can take a strange form, right?

Thursday: This day was almost a perfect day weather-wise. The skies were blue, clouds fluffy, warm temperatures and not a lot of humidity.  The brunt of the pollen is gone and it would be a perfect time to open the pool if there was not a huge pile of dirt on the pool deck. I am tired of dealing with this landscaper having to repair everything he has messed up. And yes I fully understand this is a first world problem, but it has been ongoing since the middle of November and we have lost patience.
Fortunately Sluggy called and I was able to have some laughs (and possibly bitch about the landscaping).
TheHub and I ate a wonderful dinner and finished in time to watch Alabama's softball team lose to Auburn.

Friday: Finally I began the deep and dark cleaning of our bedroom, beginning with just one bookshelf, cleaning out from underneath the bed (found a shoe that had been missing since fall), sorting through jewelry (put an entire bag of costume jewelry in the giveaway stash). I had a very painful realization that I am just too old of a certain age , and will never wear some of the necklaces, bracelets and earrings I have held on to for decades again. Past time to let go! 
I also realized just how many lotions and potions I own. I had always just used the cheap stuff from the drug store for my after shower lotion. I have so many that have been given to me over time that need to be used, and even though I might think I smell like I just walked out fo a French bordello, who cares?  
I am going to use the good stuff!

Saturday: TheHub and I woke, had a cup of coffee and did our usual Saturday runarounds. This week the produce guy had some beautiful plants and one gigantic hot pink flowering plant (no idea what it is) somehow or another found its way into the back of my vehicle. I put it by the front steps and I think it is loving that it outshines the blossoms on the hibiscus plants.
After we returned home we had a ball game lunch (hot dogs) while watching Alabama softball lose to Auburn. Bama's hitting coach is not doing a very good job in our opinions. They tend to swing at trash pitches and take a lot that are right down the plate. Oh well at least this was the last series of the regular season.
After the ball game we did a little around the house before watching the Kentucky Derby broadcast. I have a fascinator I intended to wear while watching but  forgot until it was almost post time then decided it was not worth the effort to get the step stool out to grab it from the top of the closet for just 2 minutes. I am sure I would have looked fetching wearing it with capris a teeshirt, and flip flops.
The race was not over until later than I felt like cooking. Instead we went out to grab a quick bite. (Ah the joy of not having to make dinner.)

Sunday: What a great day! When we woke the day was beautiful, but a tad warm.  We went to church, came home for a quick lunch, (pimento cheese sandwiches) then headed downtown to see the musical, Pretty Woman. To be honest if we did not have season tickets I never would have seen it at all.
I love it when I go into the theater with no expectations. I thought the movie was cute but figured the musical would be pretty lame. Though I do not need to ever see it again, it was a very enjoyable show. The choreography was outstanding, and three members of the supporting cast were truly magnificent. Two of those were in their first national tour, and I imagine we will be seeing them again in some future performance.
Once home we had a slight nod to Cinco de Mayo before settling in to watch "Zone of Interest". I am glad I saw it, but found it painful to watch.

Have a great week and look for your joys, large or small. They are always out there if we look for them.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne



p.s. An aside for one specific joy this week: Our landscaper messed up our sprinkler system which has been difficult to find and repair all the (many) places it was injured. Normally this would not be that big of a deal except that we had a good bit of new sod put in. We have had several early morning or late afternoon showers which has made most hand watering unnecessary.  So Yay for the scattered rain with otherwise fantastic weather.



16 comments:

  1. I need to read positive things. I think I struggle with big things, but more so am able to let little things go. My SILs annoying to me habits are trivial when I think about how she's given 100% to be there for her son while he was hospital and now needs care at home. A wrong turn, a cancelled plan, all can be course corrected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try very hard to fill myself with positives. You are right about annoying habits being trivial in the face of true devotion in a crisis

      Delete
  2. I am endlessly grateful that even on the worst days there is always beauty about. Which gives me joy.
    It is cool here now (yay) but the autumnal leaves have not left the building and make me smile each and every time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can always find something to be grateful for. I have found even after the beautiful leaves fall in my neighborhood, when I look up at the sky, the bare tree branches are lovely to see.

      Delete
  3. As with your jewellry, I think there comes a time in life when we realize there is a whole lot of stuff not worth getting twisted about. This weeks mini-flood was a pita but we got it cleaned up and I was immensely grateful to learn it wasn't as bad as I had originally thought. I'd already come up with a way to cope with the financial aspect had it been required. Yeah, it would have meant other wants/needs would be put off but we could have managed.
    Your week of visiting with friends, lunch out, and a lovely sunset sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pitas happen all the time, but that is part of being human.
      I thoroughly enjoyed lunch with friends.

      Delete
  4. Today was not a positive day. The flowers, the sky and sun were all beautiful. But, for all the frustrations that I had on Monday, the carrot cake made the day better. Have you thought about giving Pip some of the costume jewelry? I was thinking abut my costume jewelry and how long it has been since I wore some of the pieces. I decided some or all had to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give her my good jewelry at some point. She is still too young to have it, but the costume stuff will be given to the Exchange Club

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on no longer wearing jewelry. I pretty much only wear earrings now anyway so the rest can go. Oh and same for all the lotions and potions. At least I sorted them out and take them on my trips/on the plane or bus now so I don't feel so bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do still occasionally wear some, but a lot of the thing s were really too young for me to wear. I used to wear gigantic hoop earrings which look cool when you are younger. All things like that are gone now. including a lot of bracelets and necklaces that would never be worn again

      Delete
  6. I always look for the good in every bad situation. We have to or life will knock you down. There is always beauty around us and things to be thankful for. I'm glad you had a wonderful week. Isn't it always so nice to talk to friends or have a lunch with them? It always makes me feel so much better. I hope this week is another great week for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not certain I always look for the good, at least not immediately. But after a few moments of angst I have to find the little rays of sunshine that are there.

      Delete
  7. As I get older, I find that I just want less. Jewelry falls within that category, as does makeup. Although, I definitely need to start wearing moisturizer on my body - why do I find that such a hassle? My skin is getting really dry with age! (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the hassle is putting lotion on then waiting for it to be absorbed before I can dress. If I am in a super hurry the arms and lower legs might be the only thing I moisturize, but I do it anyway.

      Delete
  8. Few things are comletely amazing, or complete awful. Most things are somewhere in the middle, even if you might not see it that way on first impression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is exactly why I choose to look for the glimmers of good, rather than getting overwhelmed with the downsides.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.