Translate

Monday, May 13, 2024

Joys For The Past Week

The first full week of May came to an end much quicker than I ever expected. Countdown for TheHub's retirement continues and though he still has double digit work days remaining, we are now in the teens. I am looking forward to him not having all the stress this job has beaten him up with for many years.
It will be great for him to have it in his rearview mirror as he "rides off into the sunset" leaving it behind*.



Monday: TheHub had to take my car to work. Something is wrong with his and it had to be towed to the shop. Consequently it left me no option but to stay at home. It was not what I had planned, but my days are fairly fluid and it was easy to change. Thankfully it was a beautiful day and there was no reason why I should not sit on the porch, listening to birdsongs, while drinking coffee. 
Other than that the day was filed with laundry, rearranging things, and reading. Did I mention reading?
As an interesting aside, at a little after 11 Monday night I was reading and replying to some blogs. I had just made a comment about being envious of a bloggers travels and asking if it was petty of me, when out of the blue (I am sure, at least I hope,  I accidentally hit something on the computer**) Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor began playing. I guess I got my answer!



Tuesday: TheHub's car was not ready, so he had to take mine again. Normally it does not bother me to be at home, but take away my means of escape and I turn into a caged panther, walking back and forth looking for a way to go ANYWHERE. Then I have to remind myself my "cage" is pretty nice and it is not like there are not millions of things I could do/see/clean/read on a day at home.
I did have a phone call with Sluggy which makes any day better. She has interesting (unusual?) people all around her and now I need to look for some out of the ordinary folks around here. Most likely I will need to leave the suburbs to find them though.
TheHub got home a little early. We had planned on going to trivia and this time went a few minutes after 6 so we could get a table. We still did not play officially  but had fun playing along with the "serious" trivia people. The table next to us was stuck on one answer, so we told them what it was. We left before it was over so I have no idea if they won or not, but hope they did.
When we got home we had time to begin a new series "The Tattooist of Auschwitz". I read the book and thought it was good, so I had high hopes for the series. After episode one it looked  like the show might match or exceed my expectations.

Wednesday: I finished my class for the year and afterward we all went out for lunch (way to early for lunch IMO, but majority rules and I followed suit) and had a lovely time with some nice and relaxed conversations.  We decided we would meet for a bite monthly during the summer.
I also talked on the phone with my niece, who is one of the sweetest humans I have ever had the privilege to know. The bonus is being related to her. I hope we can visit her before too long.
Other than that it was just a regular day with a little washing, a little cleaning and some reading.

Friday: I read a lot, caught up on the rest of the laundry, and would like to say I did a ton of housework and had every single thing in place before the weekend, but i didn't. The beautiful day, the porch , and my book were calling me. From the look of the house in the early evening I seem to have obliged. I did make a quick sweep of the house putting up errant objects but that was about it, and amazingly life went on. (One of my joys that I don't mention often is having a partner in life who is comfortable with the way I am)
We usually go out to eat, Friday night, but TheHub had been at a golf tournament most of the day (work related__mostly) , and was hot an tired. We decided instead to have a quick meal in, and watch more of The Tattooist of Auschwitz.
(Another joy I don't mention often is having an overly stocked freezer that allows me to create a quick meal easily. I know I did all the cooking for prepared foods that I froze, but without the space to hold them, I would not have so many offerings to choose from.)

Saturday: We woke and were both ready to do our usual running around, when we got a call from Son2. I had volunteered my vehicle to load and transport things from their existing house to their new one and they were ready to take me up on it. 
When the seats are down I have a ton of cargo space and we made a couple of trips taking both some furniture and boxes over for them, then unloaded and put things where they wanted them. It is funny how some bookshelves, lamps, desks and so forth start making bare rooms look not quite so bare.
By the time we were back home it was a little later than I wanted to start cooking. We managed to snag the last rotisserie chicken Publix had, so I am counting that as another joy. Not so joyful though is that the chicken had gone up another 50 cents. It's now a buck fifty over what it was a year ago. It is still a good deal and much cheaper than picking up food to go, but jeeze, are these price increases ever going to slow down?

Sunday: It was Mother's Day here. At our house it happens without a lot of fanfare, but a house without kids at home is much different that one with it. We went to church, stopped on the way home to pick up a meal we split for lunch, then started to watch the last episode of The Tattooist of Auschwitz. About 5 minutes in, the doorbell rang and DIL2 and Son2 were at the door. 
They came over to wish me a Happy Day, sat and visited for a bit then left. I was happy to see them but did not expect them to drop by. 
Their new place is on the other side of town and they still have a few touch up things to do to the reno.  Since they both work and the weekends are their main workdays they did not need to spend that time coming here. I was glad to hear they needed to go to Costco, which is on my side of town, and were not just dropping by for Mother's Day.
Both the Portland son and the Nashville son called and we had nice conversations with them. Another joy I rarely mention is having devices with great speakers so TheHub and I can both be a part of the call. I would like to see both sons more often, but am so thankful for technology that makes being part of their lives so much easier.

Books read in May:
A Rip in Time
The Lost Symbol

Look for your joys, no matter how small, they are always out there.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne






* I do not think TheHub will completely stop working. Mostly likely he will do some freelance consulting work , but it will be soemthing he enjoys without the day to day stress his current job requires.

**Earlier in the day I had been playing my Spotify playlist If it's not Baroque and that was the next song up list, before I paused it. But talk about timing!

29 comments:

  1. Cooked food in the freezer is better than gold to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful thing to have, especially on nights I don't want to cook.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a pretty good week. I really enjoyed reading The Tattooist...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading the Tattooist also, and was surprised at how well they retold the story. They left out none of the grittiness of their prison life.

      Delete
  3. I agree that it sounds like a good week. I have to admit that I also become like a caged animal if I have no car. I can go days on end without leaving the house but take the option away and I really don't like it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is it for me too, the lack of options.

      Delete
  4. If you were referring to my travels it's not petty at all. To be honest, having Corsica so close after Thailand was pretty exhausting but I'm pretty much done for the year now unless .....! My house is a wreck though so there is a price to pay! I'll put you in my suitcase next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to remember much of our everyday things that we take for granted are truly blessings. My husbands job was stressful, too. He's been retired 2 years and has not missed work one day. It's exciting that your husband's retirement date is so close. Congrats to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His job is not physical, but the stress it has out on his body over the decades has been too much. He has "tells" when things are difficult, and I have noticed since he decided to retire his shoulder is relaxed.

      Delete
  6. A good week, despite being without a vehicle for a couple of days. Mine goes into the shop next week and I'm not looking forward to it.
    I enjoyed reading The Tattoist and noticed it was available on one of my daughter's streaming services. I tend not to enjoy the programs as much because they tend to venture away from the story line in the book. I may take a look anyway.
    If your hub's experience is like mine, the last week or so pre-retirement will be the worst. No one will want him to start any new projects, so he'll either have to drag out the things he's working on or find something else to attend to. In my case, I researched and planned three cruises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to give The Tattooist a try. It is not exactly like the book, but stays true to the integrity of it. I rarely like a show as much as the book and I really did with this.

      Delete
  7. Roy Rogers used to be appointment television. Sentimental journey, that theme song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember watching it on Saturday mornings sometimes.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had a very good, joyful week. My joy, right now, is the computer is letting me have access to the internet for more than 2 minutes at a time, so I can catch up on blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading all of your joys for the week. They are what make every day so special. It was a bit of an adjustment when my husband retired but you'll eventually get into a new routine and enjoy the flexibility of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will get used to it, but our house has been my domain forever and I am not sure how I will adapt to someone who does everything differently than I do. Theoretically I know there are multiple ways of doing everything, but__my way is best, right?

      Delete
  10. Wow - your husband is so close to retirement! Exciting. And, I find that having the flexibility to choose (not working, working part time, switching to something different, etc) is priceless. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are leaving for a trip to St Barths a few days after he retires. He told me he is going on island time then, and staying on it for the rest of his life.

      Delete
  11. I'm so jealous of the books you're able to read! I can barely get through a cardboard page book with my granddaughter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no babies, kiddies, or teens here. It is just TheHub an me so it is pretty easy to carve a lot of time for reading.

      Delete
  12. there's nothing i like better than a day at home on my own with a good book! I have been retired for 11 years come July. Can hardly believe it. the best years of my life. Thank goodness for modern technology; so easy to keep up with loved ones far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern tech is fantastic (mostly but I am not sure of AI)

      Delete
  13. Hi friend. I’m working on a secret project. Could you send me a postcard or trinket from your home state or any travels.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Do you still need my address and email? Do you still have it. Regine

      Delete
    2. Had it in the Christmas card exchange email. Sent and will probably arrive in 2 different deliveries.

      Delete
  14. My hubby worked for our mega church for 10 yrs after he retired at age 58 easy job. 20-25 hrs a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope TheHub will find what he wants to do once he retires.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.