Translate

Monday, July 22, 2024

Oops, I Forgot

This week I did not stick to my plans for meals or days very well but we had some extenuating circumstances. Then to top it off I forgot to post my menu Sunday, so today's post is both meals and joys.


Sunday: We had a pretty typical Sunday. We did not go to church, but watched it via the streaming service. Both of us were still struggling with Covid fatigue. Luckily for TheHub we had some beautiful peaches for his all time favorite dessert. (That joy is his not mine because I do not like cooked fruit)
Hamburger patty, corn on the cob, coleslaw, peach cobbler

Monday: I woke and was overly warm. It is not unusual because a lot of days I am hot when I wake, but I noticed it got a little warmer as the day went on. I really did not think a whole lot about it, because TheHub sets the thermostat up higher at night. It was only in the late afternoon that is got much warmer and when TheHub called that he was on his way home, I suggested if he wanted anything other than leftover peas and warmed squash he might want to stop and pick something up. My joy for the day is that he does not mind a little recreational shopping at Publix
Rotisserie chicken, leftover lady peas,  sautéed squash, kale pineapple salad

Tuesday: I woke and immediately realized the air conditioner was not working. We had several oscillating fans leftover from the lake place in our basement, and we have ceiling fans in the den and bedroom. Using those, the day was bearable, and because we had no air, I declared the day would be spent in front of a fan reading. (I do seem to be able to justify reading anytime)
A second joy for the day was having cold salads in the refrigerator
Leftover Asian noodle salad, kale pineapple salad

Wednesday: Hooray, the a/c repair guy was at our house by 7:15! I am not sure in an Alabama summer day, anyone is more appreciated than the a/c repairman. Thank you Dave! After he left I was able to get ready to go to my Happy Place in relative comfort.
The participants at Independence Place were celebrating Christmas in July, so what better for them to make than frozen hot chocolate! 
I got home later than I had planned and once I talked with TheHub nothing I had on hand to make sounded good to him (He not so secretly wanted Captain D's).
He stopped on his way home from work and bought us dinner. It is not my favorite but I did not have to cook, so I am not complaining.
Fish sandwich (me) fish plate (TheHub)

Thursday: I spent most of the day doing things I should have done Tuesday but it was too hot to do them. It is much easier to do chores when the house is cooler. 
We are having terribly muggy weather, and neither of us wanted to eat hot food. Instead I made my home variation of a salad a local restaurant serves every summer.
Hot and Hot tomato salad

Friday: Another day and I read a lot more. There were a million things I should have done, but I didn't. Instead I am claiming I was busy exercising my mind.
TheHub and I both had a hankering for the same thing for dinner. I could have made it, but it is easier to just pick it up, and, all things considered, I will opt for easy. All I had to do was throw a simple fruit salad together.
 Pizza , fruit salad

Saturday: This was a busy day for us. It began with our usual running around in the morning followed by Son3 and DIL3 coming in to spend the night. 
DIL3 was one of the performers at The Independence Place "Sounds of Summer" fundraiser. They had only been here a few minutes before we had to leave to go to a pool party that doubled as a retirement party for TheHub. 
The hosts are fabulous at entertaining and there were a ton of people there from the office. 
We had to go dressed for the fundraiser which was very close to the retirement party. I would not have preferred to wear what I was wearing at an outdoor summertime party, but you have to do what you have to do. 
We left the party, cranked the car a/c to full blast so we could cool down a little, then headed to the fundraiser. It was a successful event and best of all the participants preformed a couple of numbers for the crowd. Watching them made me want to cry happy tears.
After the event was over we all came home, ate doughnuts (Krispy Kreme to the rescue) and talked about the evening.
Basic Fundraiser dinner (roast beef, green beans, mashed potatoes, tossed salad, bread pudding) 

Sunday: We had a wonderful leisurely breakfast with Son3 and DIL3 before they got ready to head back to Nashville.  Shortly after they left we heard to announcement about the presidential race, and were pretty much glued to the tv the rest of the day. 
Since we had gone to the fish market Saturday morning we were set for dinner.
Broiled scamp, corn on the cob, tossed salad

Meal plan (What a joke) for the week
1. Mexican chicken salad on greens
2. Spaghetti, tossed salad
3. BLT salad
4-7 We are visiting our SIL so who knows what/where or when we will be eating

Books read in July
Lady Tan's Circle Of Women
The Everlasting Meal
Listen to the Colors
The Night Parade
Disturbing The Dead
Hitler's Furies
That Night in the Library

Have a great week with whatever plan or no plan works for you.

May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

23 comments:

  1. I will have to remember the 'exercising my mind' line. It has the merit of being true and is the perfect excuse. Just the thought of your hot and humid weather makes me shudder. I am so glad that the AC man could arrive promptly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told the repairman he was my favorite person for the week.

      Delete
  2. I cringe every time the ac does not seem to come on when I think it should. I would be very unhappy if I had to live without ac this time of the year. Tommy said we would go to a motel. Sounds good to me. I would probably deign to eat Captain D's to not cook. Glad you got the ac fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I got it fixed also. We could have slept upstairs because it is a separate unit, but we have no king beds up there and there is no way I would use 2 beds and have to rewash 2 sets of sheets. It was not too bad with 3 fans blowing on us.

      Delete
  3. It sounds very tasty. It's quite warm here, too, but, at least not so humid, so, it was bearable when the power went off, yesterday evening, and I couldn't put on the fan. I was worried about the food in the fridge, but, power came back on after about 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today when I went outside I needed gills instead of lungs.

      Delete
  4. I still haven't turned on the ventilator this summer...we have a lousy summer with lots of rain. Love what you ate this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky. I usually try to wait until May to turn on the a/c but that did not happen this year.

      Delete
  5. You don't like cooked fruit at all? As in, you'd never eat a blueberry pie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tactile issue for me. I do not eat cooked fruit desserts at all.

      Delete
  6. I prefer raw fruit over cooked, also. But per Jeff's comment, the only way I like it is in pies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our A/C guru was out last evening for our semi-annual check-up and pronounced it 'good.' Nevertheless, I never really relax during these trying months and may (or may not) check the thermostat several times a day.
    We made frozen hot chocolate for the Christmas in July party last week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never had frozen hot chocolate before and it just seemed like a natural thing to do for Christmas in July.

      Delete
  8. That tomato salad looks fabulous. Also, I'm with you - I do not eat cooked fruit of any kind, including in pie, cobbler, etc. It's not my "jam" ;-). I too will come up with any excuse to read all day, so you had me with that! (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomato salad is one of our favorites. We like to go to the restaurant for theirs which is better than my interpretation, but this recipe is fairly close.

      Delete
  9. Thank goodness the a/c repairman was able to get out to you so quickly. In your humidity I would have been a puddle on the bathroom floor.
    I made the Asian noodle salad yesterday though I had to modify it. Couldn't find angel hair pasta here in our small town, so I used spaghettini. My daughter doesn't like water chestnuts, so I hadn't bothered to look for those, but used cucumber for a bit of crunch. I served it with grilled chicken, and the entire meal was fantastic. I'll be making it again, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did enjoy it. I will try it with cucumber for the crunch because I think it really needs some. And cucumbers are at their prime right now.

      Delete
  10. I am so glad your AC was able to be fixed so quickly. I don't care for cooked peaches. Berries are better! I just made a blueberry cream pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad the a/c is working also. Did you cook the berries before adding them to the cream pie?

      Delete
  11. I like the way you exercise your mind. LOL
    Your July reading list is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always find a reason to exercise my mind. Just look at my house and it is very evident.

      Delete
  12. I've been exercising my mind a lot lately too. Tee Hee! That tomato salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.