Translate

Friday, July 12, 2024

The Lunch Conundrum

I am trying very hard to adjust to our new normal here, but I am not adjusting well at all. Even though TheHub is going into the office part time each day, he is still home for lunch.
I do not think, since the kids were preschoolers or at home during the summer I ever had to consider making lunch for anyone. And once the kids were old enough to make their own sandwiches, as long as meats and cheeses were in the fridge, they even did that themselves, because they knew when they were hungry better than I did.
Now I have someone here who not only wants to eat lunch everyday (what is this madness?) but he wants it to be something that is pleasing to all of his senses.  For years and years my lunches (if I had them) have consisted of  crackers and cheese or whatever bits and pieces were in the fridge, not what sounded good. (Unless I really wanted a tablespoon of leftover black eyed peas, a half of a tomato and wilted leftover tossed salad)


In order to keep my home from being a crime scene (murder being the option) I have decided I need to make several lunch items in advance, so there might be choices of the self serve variety. Now I just need to figure out what those might be.

This Asian inspired noodle salad is one I decided to try.
 

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot chili oil (omit if you don't like heat)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
juice from 1/2 lime
3/4 pound (ish, just eyeball it) angel hair pasta, cooked to al dente and drained
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper chopped
1/2 can water chestnuts. chopped finely
1 tablespoon sesame seed (toasted is better)
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts (optional)

Whisk the soy sauce, sesame oil, hot chili oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and lime juice in a medium non reactive bowl. (I use glass because I have them)
Put the warm pasta into the mixture and toss to coat well. Let it cool before adding the bell pepper, water chestnuts, and green onions. Eat immediately or stick it in the fridge for later. Just toss again before serving.
 Serve on a plate and sprinkle with sesame seed and/or chopped peanuts.

This was quite good and something I will make to have every couple of weeks. Next time I will add some sliced snow peas or thawed green peas, and some grated carrot, mainly for color. I will also add some Thai basil and lemon grass (if I can find very tender stems which is a crap shoot in Alabama)
It would probably be really good with some diced cooked chicken or pork too, but I am not going to get in the habit of having meats for lunch.

34 comments:

  1. Good luck. Lunch is definitely self serve here. And I have no intentions of shifting on that front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind doing some prep work, but I cannot or will not "do" lunch service. It was never in the job description.

      Delete
  2. Ours is a 'self-serve' kitchen, as well; because our tastes are so different, that works.
    Your creation is sure visually appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty and got a thumb up from the peanut gallery.

      Delete
  3. Looks good. Was it a hit with all in the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was well received and will be something I make every couple of weeks.

      Delete
  4. Just give him a $10 and point him in the direction of the nearest restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No unless special or fast food. It is usually closer to $15 with tax around here and I assume the same in B’ham. Cindy in the South

      Delete
    2. Yep it is between 15-20 for lunch here.

      Delete
  5. I only eat breakfast...but my husband has to eat 3 meals a day..the noodle looks very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had my way I would only eat a late lunch every day, but I would still have to make dinner, and if I make it I will eat it.

      Delete
  6. I usually have two breakfasts because I cannot eat much at once. Or, I have something lunch for breakfast. Tommy has three meals. I am going to read the sentence about tossing or stirring before serving again because he thinks I am nuts for wanting my cole slaw stirred before he puts it on my plate. I never make lunch for Tommy. We both eat what is in refrigerator or freezer or have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but rarely. Good luck with your lunch plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will adapt to this over time, but right now it is a foreign concept. I don't like anything but coffee or water until about 2. TheHub is a clock eater and in his schedule lunch is at high noon.

      Delete
  7. My dad retired first (disability) and it was VERY tough for them both when my mom also retired so I feel for you! When my son moved back in while getting a divorce (and during covid) it was nice to have someone here to cook for - but I get what you mean too. I personally would have a hard time having to think about lunch and dinner all the time now! Mind you, that salad does look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a big and sudden change, and I guess I don't do change or lunch well.

      Delete
  8. That noodle salad looks delicious! Maybe, in the summer, have salads and cold cuts or leftover cold meats for lunch available in the fridge and in the winter, have soup and toast available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have stuff for sandwiches available. The biggest issue is that for his entire working life he ate lunch out and most days it was a hot lunch (meat and two or three vegetables. That does not happen here.

      Delete
  9. I totally get what you mean about the lunches. Weekends when the question is 'what is for lunch?' I'd happily just graze away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than meeting friends for lunch ( which is occasionally at best) I don't have a dedicated meal. Most of the time it is just grabbing the few bites of whatever is remaining from the prior night's dinner. Sitting at the table for lunch daily is not in my wheelhouse and it is going to take some getting used to.

      Delete
  10. Your salad looks great. We went through a long phase where the teens fed themselves for lunch, but we are at a point that I will cook for them if they are home, because 1) I have things i'd prefer they eat/not based on other meals planned and 2) they are so rarely home it's more of a novelty. ;-) But, luckily, DH doesn't eat lunch, so that's not an issue! I make dinner, including a giant salad for him every night. And, stock him with muffins for breakfast everyday. I'm not adding lunch to the mix. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even mind making several things at once and having them in th fridge for self serve meals, but I do not want to be the lunch lady.

      Delete
  11. Does the hubs, at least, give you some ideas about what he would enjoy for his lunches? I might be tempted to tell him to fend for himself but I've never been married, so who knows what I would actually say.
    Your Asian salad sounds delicious and I've added the ingredients that aren't in the pantry to next weeks shopping list. Both my daughter and I would enjoy it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will stock the fridge but I am not about to eat at noon each day just because it is what he has always done. He can have whatever is here and I might start coking a little more at night just so there will be leftovers (though he claims to hate them)

      Delete
  12. I vote he stop by Publix (since he likes to stop there anyway) on the way home and get whatever suits his fancy from the deli, seafood sushi is $5 on Wednesdays, etc. He could also stop wherever he used to eat lunch, and get something to go to eat at the house when he arrives home, and you can continue your hobbit lunches for yourself! I vote that Anne does not make his lunches so there will be no murder crime scene so the DA in Jefferson County does not have to deal with the headline “Husband sliced and diced for lunch courtesy of Anne’s “work” in the kitchen!!!! lol. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  13. My DH worked in a profession that mandates early retirement, plus, he is considerably older than me, so us being home all day was something we had to get used to early. And by get used to, I mean he had to learn that breakfast and lunch were self serve. When the kids came along, I happily made breakfast and lunch for them, and if he wanted to join them, that was fine, but by about 8, they preferred to forage those meals on non school days. (I always happily packed their lunches…still offer for the kid who chose to stay local for college.) I will occasionally fix those meals for him now…and did so cheerfully when he was recovering from his stroke. I confess, those few weeks of him expecting me to provide lunch ended poorly . The notion infuriated me. I told him he could pick one meal, lunch or dinner, and he was on his own for the others. I didn’t leave work to cater to him. I think that’s one of the reasons he was always (and still is) happy to take the kids out for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub did not have to retire, but it was time so we can enjoy life. Enjoyment does not mean catering lunch daily. We will have to work out a plan that suits us both.

      Delete
  14. Ugh, lunches!
    I can happily eat leftovers or sandwiches or salads or fruit and cottage cheese or crackers and cheese for lunch. But my family starts coming out of the woodwork at noon wanting food. I make some salad fixings and pimento cheese, egg salad,chicken salad etc during the summer, and I love a pbj myself. But I am so tired of thinking about meals. Thanks for the noodle salad tip.
    I hope your hubby is enjoying retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he will enjoy retirement when he actually stops going into the office!

      Delete
  15. That is a big change making the lunch. That recipe sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, my friend! Yes! A hubby at home changes our vibe, doesn't it?? Thanks for the recipe. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the vibe does change, more than I thought it would.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.