Translate

Friday, March 9, 2018

New Recipe Week 10

I have just finished 30 days on the Whole 30 program and am taking a couple of days off before I begin it again. It is a very good way for me to eat, plus it keeps me on my toes trying new and different ways of preparing our foods. I find myself looking through an enormous collection of recipes. Generally while I am wandering through the jungles of paleo land some totally random and inappropriate recipe will find its way through the search maze of meats and vegetables. The one I tried this past week is one such recipe. Why in the world Sweet Alabama Pecan Bread would pop up in a paleo search is beyond me, but I did put it in my new bookmark category, "When Whole 30 is Over".

Last night I decided to bake something and looked at the new category. I saw this recipe bookmarked, immediately clicked on it (here) and decided this was easy, quick and would suit my criteria; something sweet, quick, using what I had in the pantry and the fewest utensils possible.


1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
4 eggs beaten
1 c oil
1 1/2 c self-rising flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 c pecans, finely chopped

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the pan (Use Pam, vegetable oil or melted butter. I save all my butter wrappers in a baggie in the freezer and use them to grease pans, tossing them after I use them)

There is a cute little tutorial on the recipe page and everything is measured into little bowls and tossed in the mixing bowl at the appropriate time. At the end of the recipe you will have used 7 bowls, a wooden spoon, baking pan, spatula, and knife, plus your measuring utensils. Trust me when I tell you, that is way more than necessary. I made this recipe using one mixing bowl, 1 wooden spoon, baking pan, 1 cup measuring cup and 1/2 cup measuring cup. I am writing the instructions as I made it, not as the recipe said. I definitely believe in the K.I.S.S. method of cooking (Keep it stupid simple or keep it simple, stupid)
Measure the sugars using the 1 cup measuring cup and toss in the mixing bowl. I always start with the white sugar because it has no dampness to it at all, followed by the brown sugar. Next measure the one cup of oil using the same measuring cup. (And no, you do not have to be like my mother was and wash it between each measure. The oil does not care if a few grains of brown sugar remain in the measuring cup and it will not alter the recipe at all)
Stir the sugar and the oil until it is well blended. Add the eggs one at a time to the bowl. They will rest on top of the sugar/oil mix. Using your wooden spoon beat them lightly then incorporate them into the sugar mix. Then add 1 teaspoon vanilla (I eyeball this, but I am pretty good at eyeballing)  and stir everything together.  Use the half cup measure and add the 1 1/2 cups self rising flour. Mix it in, but don't over stir. Add 2 cups chopped pecans. Stir them through then turn the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it using the back of the wooden spoon as your spatula.
Bake for 25 -30 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares.

The verdict? This is a dense sweet bread and it was fine, especially for the ease of cooking, but it was not the best thing I have ever made. I live in pecan country and have access to free and/or relatively cheap pecans so I always have a large store of them in my freezer. I would probably not pay full price for the amount used in this recipe because it was just not spectacular enough to warrant the regular retail price. It would probably be equally good using whatever nut is readily available to wherever you live except for black walnuts. I think their taste might overpower the batter.
I used grapeseed oil which is a neutral tasting oil and I actually thought the batter would benefit from some additional flavor. Maybe 3/4 cup oil to 1/4 cup butter. I would also use half light brown sugar and half dark brown, just to add some additional taste.

We tried it fresh out of the oven and were all underwhelmed, but I had a small piece this morning to see if it improved after sitting and it was much improved. If you make it, make it at least a half a day in advance so it can cool totally. Honestly I will most likely never make this again. It is perfectly fine, but that is all it is__fine.

36 comments:

  1. Well that beats zuchinni bread or cake as we always have a plethora of that around here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a string of underwhelming foods lately. DH didn't turn the crock pot casserole down to warm early enough yesterday, or started it way to early or both, but it ended up both mushy and dry when it should have been extra saucy. I still have two small loaves of egg nog bread in the freezer, plus frozen egg nog. The bread was fine, just not enough oomph so I haven't felt like getting out the remaining loaves. but,w e have to try to know, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am game for trying. This recipe really was fine, but just not spectacular enough to warrant using all the pecans.

      Delete
  3. I'd prolly cut the oil with applesauce to reduce the calories so I can be bad and not be awful. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of doing that. Fortunately it is not delicious enough to make me want to eat any more of it.

      Delete
  4. It's disappointing when that happens isn't it. My sister reposted a recipe on FB so I thought I would give it a try - some kind of roll-up using one corn and one flour tortilla. Well! It looked like the dog had vomited in the frying pan and frankly didn't taste much better. I do wonder where they get those videos from - they obviously aren't first attempts! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes things just don;t work like we expect them to. I don't mind trying things and generally know pretty much what it will taste like when done. This was not objectionable in the least. It just was not great.

      Delete
  5. with the price of pecans around here and the fact that i haven't baked since I taught my daughters, I probably won't make it. It looks like the easiest thing ever, though :)

    I love that you keep butter papers in the freezer, my mum used to do that and I have tried it but the fridge police think it's a disgusting habit......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if anyone around here ever knows I keep the butter papers. That would require them actually getting something out of the freezer and I am pretty sure they think that is my personal appliance.

      Delete
  6. Hooray for another butter paper keeper.
    And sigh on an underwhelming recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to see there are several of us out there.
      If a recipe is less than stellar it's still a pretty good week.

      Delete
  7. When we lived in New Orleans we had a big pecan tree in our yard. I didn't appreciate it then, but I sure wish I had one now. Pecans are expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are expensive. My BIL and SIL live on a farm and have 3 gigantic trees in the pasture.

      Delete
  8. Using every utensil and bowl in the kitchen? That would be hubby cooking. One bowl one spoon and one measuring cup? That would be me lol. Congrats for surviving 30 days of the experiment...and wanting to continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate using more than is absolutely necessary to cook. TheHub can use 15 things to warm a can of soup.
      I need another dose of Whole30. I really do feel better when I do it.

      Delete
  9. I like the idea of saving the butter wrappers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, plus I can grease pans without getting my hands messy.

      Delete
  10. All our butter papers go to the dogs. I use to keep them tho. I also save bacon grease but not in a coffee can like my mother did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strain and save the bacon grease in a jar in the freezer. It is like gold!

      Delete
  11. Your recipe is similar to a Pecan Pie Muffin recipe that was popular a few years ago. It was easy to make, and good, maybe not the best thing ever but nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was fine. I just did not think the taste was good enough for the amount of pecans it used.

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry to hear that the bread was underwhelming. I had bought a bag of pecans for my daughter and thought this might be a good recipe for her to try. I might still send the link to her, with instructions on how to use regular flour in lieu of self-rising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets better as it sits. Son2 and GF2 were here today and they had some and thought it was great.

      Delete
  13. Ooo~ Simply. Sweet. To the point. Might have to make this when I get home with a few minor alterations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fine as is, but I like better than fine. I am going to try it again and change a few things to see how the flavor changes.

      Delete
  14. I measure strategically so I don't mess up something and then need it for a dry ingredient. I have a bundt cake recipe that does require it to sit for a few days. That works out well since the cake does not have to be fresh and made just before an event. Butter papers in freezer here, too.

    Daddy was never truly happy unless whatever he fried had splattered grease all over the kitchen. Of course, beans or soup or spaghetti had to be cooked on high with no lid so it could splatter all over, too.

    I won't be cooking with pecans until late next fall. I wonder if raisins or diced figs or shopped dates would be good in this. I do have those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Let me try again. I always use dark brown sugar when the recipe calls for light brown sugar. I have never been disappointed yet.

      Delete
    3. Dark brown does have so much more flavor. I have to make Mom a birthday cake this morning, so I am really glad I save those butter papers!

      Delete
  15. I am a huge fan of the K.I.S.S. method as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have no idea how much I LOVE pecans but boy are they expensive around here! I usually only buy them at Christmas for baking. I think it all started with my gramma making pecan pies for Sunday dinner. I just felt my hips grow another inch!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pecan pie, but we have it only at Thanksgiving. There are a lot of pecan groves around here plus a lot of cattle farmers have then randomly in the pastures. Every fall you can find really decent prices on pecans a long as you are willing to do a boatload of shelling.

      Delete
  17. Yikes; I have felt like I wasted pecans before and it's a bad feeling. At least yours was edible... I had to throw some away! LOL YOu commented on my blog about the make up center you are doing for your granddaughter.... I'm sure mine would love that too, as they love to get into my things. They may have to wait a few years on that one! They are 3 and 4 now. I don't mind the comment thing, but sometimes I forget to go back to look for replies. I was just wondering if there was a way to receive a notification that you have replied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My granddaughter is just 4 but she fancies herself a makeup artist. I have been looking for "play" makeup for her. So far I have several lotions and a couple of lip balms that are tinted but leave no real color. I will probably wind up making her some pretend cosmetics. She does not visit but a couple of times a year so I have lots of time to make them.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.