Translate

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Heigh-Ho Heigh-Ho, It's Back Upstairs I Go

I did not get as much done yesterday as I had planned, so I need to go back to the dark hole some call a bedroom first thing out of the chute this morning. Our entire second floor is a never used space that does nothing but collect crap and dust. Because we are having a guest who is not typical for our entire family gathering the usual accommodations are not going to work and our whole paradigm has shifted.

Typically Son1 and DIL1 stay in the guest room, which has its own bathroom. Son2 stays in his old room, which shares  a Jack and Jill bath with the dark hole some call a bedroom. It has never been a problem because no one ever sleeps in the dark hole, mainly because it has no bed in it. Then Pip has a teeny tiny room that once was my office. (Not sure what will happen when she outgrows the youth bed which actually fits in there) Son2 has his own digs so I have no worries about his sleeping arrangements.

The bed left years ago when whoever used it as a room moved out and took their furniture with them. By the time he was about 10 Son3 was the sole occupant of the entire upstairs and that room became his "office", with a desk, desk chair, a foosball table and a couple of sling chairs. Basically he did homework and hung out with friends there.

Until now there has been no need to do anything with the former bedroom other than stash whatever needed to be out of sight away. But now the great reconfiguring is upon us. Since DIL1's mother is coming for the wedding, I am putting Son1 and DIL1 in Red's (Son3) old room and her Mom in the dark hole. They can share the bathroom, leaving Red and DIL3 (the newlyweds) the guest room with their own private bath. Which means I am moving Son3's double bed to the dark hole and need to get a queen for his old room.  The only reason I don't put DIL1's mom in the existing real bedroom is because typically Pip gets scared and her youth bed moves into the room with her parents. The dark hole is not large enough to accommodate a queen bed plus a youth bed without moving the desk out. There is nowhere else to house the desk which we put together in the room and will have to be taken apart to get out of the room. I am just not adding that task to our current chaos.

Thankfully all I have left to do in the guest room is clean the bathroom, put out fresh towels, and dust! Whew!

Anyone coming through Birmingham and need a place to stay? Looks like the hotel is open for business

And the cleaning list for today is:

Dark Hole Room (I ran out of steam and had a few distractions yesterday)
Vacuum carpet
Wash windows
Dust blinds
Wash woodwork
Wash doors
Wash light diffusing bowl on overhead light
Dust desk
Dust bookshelves
Move double bed from Red's old room
Clean sink in the Jack and Jill  bathroom

Stairwell
Dust banister and rails
Wash woodwork 
Check for and remove any errant spider webs

Upstairs Hall
Do that spider web thing
Wash woodwork
Wash doors facing hall                 Hall is halfway done but I need to clean up and go vote
Dust mop floor
Vacuum rugs

Laundry room
Do 10 things

Kitchen
Clean and wax at least 3 drawer fronts
Clean and wax at least 2 cabinet doors
Clean interior of breakfast nook cabinet

14 comments:

  1. I am tired from reading and sort of confused about who sleeps where. I really love cleaning kitchen cabinets and drawer fronts. What brand of wax do you use? Steam from the dishwasher has damaged one lower cabinet front. Have fun cleaning and rearranging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use either Jubilee Kitchen Wax (hard to find) or the dupe from The Vermont Country Store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a flurry of work. After you are done you can come to my house. I will make you an apron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my next life I am going to have someone who lives in the basement, does the housework, cooks and calls me Missy. I will call her Hazel

      Delete
  4. Love the "do that spider web thing".....and as I look around my hope apparently I need to put that on my list too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our 2nd floor is unoccupied so the spiders feel it is their home

      Delete
  5. You must be EXHAUSTED.
    Good luck - and make time for you. Even a smidge of time just for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tired but if I get everything done by Monday I will have 2 days totally to myself

      Delete
  6. You will be ready for all kinds of guests once this is all over and have had time to rest. Have you thought about a B & B?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest TheHub and I have discussed opening a B & B after he retires. The lake place would work pretty well for that. Our water view is spectacular.

      Delete
  7. If I ever have a load of guests I'm booking them in to some place i don't have to do all that!
    I am in awe of your hard work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a lot of work, but I must have needed to do it.

      Delete
  8. You are going to have a sparkling house after all that cleaning! Please don't get too exhausted cleaning house to enjoy the upcoming main event!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.