Translate

Monday, November 26, 2018

Whew, What A Whirlwind!

The rehearsal party, wedding, birthday party, Thanksgiving Day week was filled with a lot of people and a lot of fun (and a lot of work) and now life is back to normal. I stayed on the keto thing until the night of the wedding. The dress fit and actually looked decent on me, but during the last hour of the reception I ate a cupcake (Maple bacon, yum!) and a slider. I could have stopped right there, but I didn't and the next week was a totally non keto week. Sunday I rounded up the horses and stepped back on the keto wagon, complete with a menu plan using the leftover Thanksgiving foods, since I hate food waste.  So here is the plan which I will probably change because that is how I operate.

1. Hot Brown Sandwiches (TheHub's on leftover hot dog rolls, mine on fake bread topped with a keto friendly mornay sauce), tossed salad  (Used leftover turkey)

2. Spaghetti, tossed salad (Dinner rolls for TheHub) (Used no leftovers except some arugula for the salad)

3. Traditional Thanksgiving stuff: turkey, gravy, asparagus, brussels sprouts, dressing (For me? turkey and brussels sprouts)

4. Faux bean soup, rolls (real rolls for TheHub, fake bread for me) shredded cabbage (Used the last leftover ham. Yes, we had both turkey and ham for Thanksgiving. BTW this soup is incredibly delicious. How do I know? I made it in the crock pot last night and snuck a small bowl for my lunch today.)

5. Mexican spiced turkey (uses the scrappy pieces of turkey) baked in poblano peppers and topped with cheese

6. Faux mac and cheese, collards, lady peas (TheHub gets these)

7. Ball game meal: Brats or Smoked sausage, steamed kraut, buns for TheHub, keto dip with celery, cukes and cauliflower

Now I need to run to the bank for mom. My beloved sister was kind enough to take over with Mom for the past week, so now I need to let her have a week's break. I cannot thank her enough for giving me the gift of time!

Have fun as the Christmas Clock has officially begun!




24 comments:

  1. So glad that you survived (and sounds like had fun too!). If you were going to go off the keto thing that was the time to do it...plus maple bacon cupcake???!!!??? Definitely the item to do it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cupcake was so good! Hats off to my new DIL who opted for cupcakes and doughnuts over traditional wedding cake fare!

      Delete
    2. DIL seems like a low-maintenance young woman.

      Delete
    3. She is fantastic, easy going, and has the most caring nature.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that all your hard work came to a triumphant conclusion.
    And super impressed you have climbed back on the keto wagon so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no reason to be impressed. I know me and I know I can find every excuse in the book to keep from doing something. For me it was a necessity to jump back quickly of fall into the abyss of fudges, and cupcakes, and pies, oh my!

      Delete
  3. You had a busy week.
    Your tentative meal plan sounds delicious. And that maple bacon cupcake! Yum indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a lot of activities in a little bit of time and company, too. I am glad you made it through. Of course, Christmas is barreling down on us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is barreling but this year it is just going to be TheHub and me. Relaxed, reading and movies!

      Delete
  5. What a week!

    I would be well into the fudge/ cake/ cookie abyss by now (if I had ever started keto in the first place)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing pretty well with the weight loss and don't want to see it all for naught, especially since I already donated all my summer duds to Goodwill.

      Delete
  6. You sure had a lot going on, last week! I'm glad your sister was able to help out with taking care of your Mom. One of my cousins made keto-friendly "cookies" with almond butter and coconut flour at Thanksgiving. They were quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made several keto goodies that are quite tasty. I have also made some that were pretty bad, but that is how i usually learn (through failure). Some of the ingredients in keto baking are new to me and I am not sure enough of how they perform to throw things together randomly like I can with traditional baking.

      Delete
  7. How you managed to stay disciplined with wedding and Thanksgiving, despite a break, is wonderful. Im glad you could focus on your life for the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great week and I enjoyed everyone who was around all the various celebrations. Now the real world and specific way of eating are back.

      Delete
  8. Oh I would have a carb feast, if I were you! You have done so well on the keto thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely over carbed during the week but had to hop back on it before I gained what I have lost.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a great time, and glad you enjoyed yourself. I love hot brown sandwiches -- don't see them that much these days. Great choice in your meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a hot brown too. It feels like we are eating some throwback meal. I kind of expect someone with a net apron, cigarette and martini to walk into the kitchen to have dinner with us.

      Delete
  10. NO one can stick to a diet over Thanksgiving - I hope you aren't being hard on yourself. The dress fit - YAY - so happy about that. Now you're back on the saddle again and life goes on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does go on. I had been doing keto long enough that I had forgotten the first few days of unpleasantness. At least I know it will be over soon and I am back to my pre wedding way of eating.

      Delete
  11. Could you please publish the faux bean soup recipe? I am doing low carb and I love soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim it was insanely easy. This is it
      1 large head cauliflower (4 cups florets)
      3 cups broth. (I used leftover turkey stock)
      1 smoked ham hock
      2 bay leaves
      ¼ tsp nutmeg
      1/2 small onion, diced
      Franks hot sauce to taste
      salt and black pepper to taste
      Cut the cauliflower. I left it in pretty big pieces, Put them in a crock pot, add the broth, ham hock, and seasonings. Make sure the cauliflower and ham hock are covered by liquid. Add water to the pot if they are not. Put the lid on the crock pot and cook on high for about 4 hours or until the cauliflower is cooked through and almost falling apart. Remove a few bits of the cauliflower (!/4 cup maybe) and the ham hock. Put the ham hock on a plate and using a couple of forks remove the bone and any large pieces of fat. Then take the ham that was on the bone, chop it up and return all but about 1/8 cup of it to the crock pot. I used an immersion blender and blended the hot soup until the soup looked a little creamy and was a pinkish beige color. You can also pour everything into a blender ,instead of using an immersion blender, but be careful. Hot stuff in a blender can cause a major eruption. Chop the remaining cauliflower into pea size pieces and mince the remaining ham. Stir it in the pot , add salt and hot sauce as desired. Check the saltiness first. The ham is salty and provided enough salt for me, but I confess I do not like terribly salty things.
      TheHub is not doing Keto and he really liked it. A couple of days later Son2 and DIL2 were here and they heated up the leftovers and ate the rest of it. They really liked it too.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.