Translate

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Glimpse at Flowers

My almost DIL is without a doubt the single best person I have ever known. (Sorry Son2, you are a great guy but not as wonderful as she is!) This incredibly sweet and thoughtful woman decided she wanted something unique for her wedding flowers. She lost her dad about a year ago and has fond memories of him playing Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring on his guitar for her. Since she wanted paper flowers, what could be better than making the flowers from the song's sheet music.  We searched and found it online, printed it and made copies on an ivory parchment paper.

Beautiful paper, yes! Pliable, meh, not so much. So for the past two weeks I have been in a flurry of cutting, gluing, and wrapping, wrapping, wrapping floral tape around stems created by braiding 3 chenille sticks together. The calla lilies were pretty easy once I figured out how to make them, but the roses? I honestly had no idea how I was going to make them, all 30 of them. It involved a lot of trial and error, mostly error, to figure out how to create something that looked like a rose. In the end it required making a center bud then gluing each individual petal one on top of the other, to get a realistic rose, or at least what a realistic rose would look like if the petals looked like sheet music. And even though it did take me much longer than I estimated, I am so glad I did it. It was truly a labor of love for the woman who makes my son his best self.

And now they are done: 27 boutonnieres, 14 honorary attendant bouquets, 1 matron of honor  bouquet, 4 Mother/Grandmother long stem roses, 2 flower girl basket arrangements and the bridal bouquet.  I am sharing a pic of the bride's flowers and you will just have to trust me on the rest.



I am rarely content and super critical of everything I do, but I was really pleased with this. I am not much of an arrangement designer and this was way above my pay grade, but I actually like it.  And now that I know I can do it, I don't have to ever try this again.

No more flowers or flower construction mess so I have to start cleaning like mad for the peeps who will be staying here. 

31 comments:

  1. You have moved me to tears. What a wonderful gesture, from your very almost DIL, and from you.
    I hope the cleaning goes well - and that you are able to enjoy the wonderful celebrations to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never finish anything early, so I am way ahead of the game. The house is not exactly a wreck, but I do need to do the deep cleaning like washing woodwork and polishing the floors, plus I have to move the furniture from one bedroom to another then find a spare queen size bed. (I may be moving one from the lake place since I hate to buy a new one for a week's visit, but I hate the thought of moving it and then taking it back.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those roses are beautiful! Seems to me that this lovely young woman your son is marrying is going to have an equally awesome mother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son's choices in life partners make it so easy to love each of their special women. They are all so different yet so wonderful that I would be an empty emotionless shell if I could not love them.

      Delete
  4. Those look really nice! When my youngest daughter got married, her best friend made her a paper bouquet and she carried them. She and soninaw were married at San Fran City Hall 2 babies ago. Why don't you treat yourself and call a cleaning service?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to get some help cleaning and may actually call a local mover to help me move the furniture from one room to another. I think my days of being a pack mule are over!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Outstanding! I am blown away! That bouquet is just gorgeous and I love the sentiment of using the sheet music in memory of her dad. My favorite part of this post is where you wrote, "And now that I know I can do it, I don't have to ever try this again." I totally get that! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to test my limits, but sometimes after I find them I don't have to test them in that particular way again, ever!

      Delete
  6. That's just beautiful:the many attendants, the sheet music, the hand made flowers and the way you love your daughter in law

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the exception of the 2 nieces as flower girls and her sister as Matron of Honor., the rest are strictly honorary attendants and will be seated with everyone else. I am so lucky to have here and could not love her more!

      Delete
  7. Amazingly beautiful.... this is the sweetest thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To quote a guy, "Ahhhh, Bach."

    The flowers are just lovely. I'd rather have those than any real flowers really. And such a special way for you to be involved in this wedding.
    And yes, you have met your flower making requirement(far exceeded it really!)for this lifetime and never have to do that again(unless Pip wants you to do it when she gets married). 8-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time Pip os old enough to marry I will be senile with arthritic hands!

      Delete
  9. Just gorgeous! You are the best MIL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not the best MIL, my sons just selected the best women to love. They make it easy for me!

      Delete
  10. This is beautiful! I've never seen a bouquet like it and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen or heard of one like it before either.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful tribute to her dad, and an outpouring of love and welcome to your new daughter from you. I wish them both all the love and happiness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish them the same Sam. They are a fantastic couple.

      Delete
  12. What a great idea! I wasn't sure what exactly you were making - those look awesome! I thought you were just using fake flowers, not actually making the flowers too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not sure exactly what I was doing either. It was a cute, paste and wrap learning curve.

      Delete
  13. Very talented. I would never have the patience for this. She is a lucky woman to have such a nice mother-in-law to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She knows I am not sweet or nice, but I am kind and polite (most of the time)
      I am the lucky one. Hats off to the mothers who raised the women my sons have fallen in love with.

      Delete
  14. Awe!!!! You've got me tearful!!! You are one lucky MIL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too McVal. That is so sentimental (and beautiful)it's making my eyes leak. I mustn't be over my cold yet!

      Delete
    2. Anna, I have friends who complain about their DIL’s and I just don’t get it. I have three of the best

      Delete
    3. Anne I have one dil and one soon to be dil. I wasn't too sure about no. 2 (she is very volatile) but she has been incredibly good for my son and very thoughtful to me. The biggest thing for me I think is to make sure I keep my nose out of their business! You have to with sons.

      Delete
  15. Ditto to all of the comments above. Sweet, beautiful, talented, touching, creative, love, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am seriously in love with my daughters in love. They are wonderful women and so easy to love, plus they push my sons to be their best selves. There is nothing more I could ever wish for.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.