Translate

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Joy for the ninth week

If you have been reading this blog you know that I have been keeping up with the joys I find each day. My goal is to read them in New Years Eve just to remind myself that every single day has something joyful. I hope to reflect on every good thing and truly appreciate each day. If you haven’t read them before, welcome and it is a joy to have you here.

Feb. 26  Found a sale on things Mom needed and also rented the movie Jo Jo Rabbit. I enjoyed it but I am not sure I understand how it was nominated for a best movie award.

Feb, 27  Picked up a very discounted corned beef from Aldi and decided to go ahead and cook it just to see if the flavor was worth the savings. It was delicious and I made plans to go pick up at least 2 more before the sale ended.

Feb. 28 Met a substitute sitter for Mom. She was a delight and I felt good about leaving Mom with her the following day. After work, TheHub and I went to Mooyah for a delicious hamburger. As an added plus__ they actually have a keto burger on their menu. After eating we went to Aldi for the corned beef sale. Then we hit Sprouts for a couple of things that were in their ad. We are pretty exciting aren't we.

Feb. 29 This had to be the biggest joy I have had in a long time. We went to the inaugural talent show for Unless U, an academic and social facility for adults with special needs. It was held at the Lyric Theater  which is an old, restored to its former glory, venue. The beautiful setting was the perfect place to contain all the joy both from the participants and everyone who came out to support them. What an outstanding show/ fundraiser. I am not sure who enjoyed it more, those on stage or those in the audience.
After the performance the audience was milling around in the lobby talking to all the various participants. I am seriously claustrophobic so I told TheHub to take his time and talk to whomever he wanted, but I was going to wait outside. 700 plus people in a tight space is just more than I can bear. While I waited I watched the doors where people were slowly exiting and did not see one person who did not come out smiling, though most were grinning from ear to ear. That is what I call one successful show!
Btw in 2 years the organization has raised almost 1.5 million in capital funds for their new building .  Their goal is to build it debt free. Hopefully after Saturday night they met their goal. Kudos all around!

March 1  I thought about celebrating the arrival of a new month but didn't. The day was a typical Sunday for us__church, lunch, nap, 60 minutes, and of course food. I guess I had 2 joys for the day. I had cooked several things in advance, so the chili for dinner was made and just had to be heated, and I did not have to go to Mom's. My Beloved Sister and I swap days on the weekend so each one of us has a day free from having to go. I am at Mom's 6 days a week so the one day of not going is almost like a vacation.

March 2 Mid morning I got a phone call from Son3 with some surprising news. He and DIL3 are
planning on coming for a visit. This is a huge joy since we have not seen them in quite a while! One other small joy is when I set up the new computer I did not  lose my Spotify play list. I have an extensive list I curated over a few years with over 50 categories. When I finally got it installed it was all there! Whoo hoo! I missed it terribly.

March 3 Mom was not doing so well after a fall late the night before. I went to her house early and there was no doubt she was hurting. My joy was taken from an old episode of M.A.S.H.  As most of you know Mom has dementia and mostly has no idea of what is going on. I had no rx pain medicines so I took two ibuprofen capsules and told her it was a very strong pain med so I was giving her a double dose. The placebo effect worked! She slept all day and through the night which gave me time to arrange special medical transportation for the following day.
 Because I spent a lot of time with her, I had nothing for dinner. TheHub and I picked up some takeout at an Argentinian food truck. Yum!

22 comments:

  1. Okay, why did she need special medical transport? Having a meal already cooked is a joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom is 89. She broke one of her vertebrae and could not sit in an upright position for me to drive her. She needed a gurney so I arranged for it.

      Delete
  2. Your major joy deserved several stars. Seeing son3 and his wife is another big, big joy.
    I hope your mama didn't damage herself too seriously in the fall, and love your pain solution. And it worked!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom will feel much better in a couple of days. She is not in great shape and the break was just the icing on the cake.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you are able to find some joy, every day, Anne. Glad, too, that the "double dose of the very strong pain meds" helped your mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be nominated for an acting award because the Advil was seriously effective until right before we took her to the hospital.

      Delete
  4. I love reading your joys. I know that life is extremely tiring right now for you with your mom but it is encouraging to see the joys that you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a joy hidden in even the worst day. Now that I am looking for them I find there are many more than I ever imagined..

      Delete
  5. That concert sounds just wonderful. Isn't it amazing when a special show has the ability to have everyone leave with an enormous grin on their faces! And I'm sorry to hear your mom had a fall but well done on the acting job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show was truly wonderful and I am pretty sure ly looking at the smiling faces it was the general consensus.

      Delete
  6. Being able to create a long list of joys is a joy in itself. I hope the career works out for your mom on additional days. I cannot imagine the strain, but also needing to feel 100% comfortable is a necessity. I would love to see the show you saw-and what a worthy cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show was phenomenal. I was truly honored to be in the audience.

      Delete
  7. I am glad you got to that performance, sounds like fun. I know you love your mother but perhaps there is a way to carve out more time for yourself? I don't know how you and your sister do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom was always demanding. It is just part of her nature. She has reached a new level though where her demands are met with increasing resistance to help, and that makes it really hard for everyone.

      Delete
  8. To be able to find joy when you are going through this with your mom is such a good lesson for all of us. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing to do but hang in there, and take whatever precautions we can to keep her safe in spite of her forgetting she is older and needs continual help.

      Delete
  9. The show sounds fantastic! Sorry to hear your mom had a fall - hope she's recovers from the injury. Smart girl to tell it was a a double dose of pain meds. Placebo or not it obviously helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was feeling so bad and grasping for anything that might help. I think she just gave herself permission after that to go to sleep.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad there have been to many joyful moments although it sounds so tough with your mum being unwell. it's good you can be there to support her!

    Hope that you are having a wonderful weekend :) We had a date night last night which was awesome :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Talent show sounds pretty awesome! You are the best daughter a mother could ask for, and I'm sure your mother knows it. Hope Mom's doing well now, and you take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Mom would disagree with you! If I were the best daughter she could ask for I would move in with her like one of her friend's daughter did!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.